1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding oil to transmission?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by okeitrucker, Aug 19, 2007.

1. okeitrucker

okeitrucker Member

I have a '93 Suzuki Carry and would like to check the gear oil in the transmission. But, other than locating a dust cap at the top of the bell housing, I can't seem to find a plug for where you can check the oil level or add more if needed. I did see a plug with a square hole on the bottom of the transfer case, which I suspect would let me drain the oil. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. chadhite

chadhite Member

Okie,

You will have a plug with a square inset on the driver side of the tranmission. A 3/8 socket extension will be what you will use to remove the plug, be careful when removing not to strip the plug. Once you remove the plug there will be a plug in the rear of the transfer case. Remove it also. Your transmission and transfer case are conected so when you put fluid into the transmission you are filling the transfer case also. Use standard gear oil 85 weight to fill tranmissions and differentals.

If you do strip the plug you can buy one at the local hardware store in the pluming department. Buy one that you can get a cresent wrench or pliers on.
    Speaking from expericance on this one.

3. okeitrucker

okeitrucker Member

Chad,

Thanks for your reply. I have a '90 and a '91 Suzuki, both have the plug with square inset that you mention. The '93 doesn't have that plug. There is a round hole in that location that was never drilled and tapped. Any other possible location to fill with oil? Thanks for the advice about replacing the plug with one that you can get a wrench on, I'll do that for the older Suzukis.

4. chadhite

chadhite Member

I have a 93 Suzuki for sale. I will look at it later today and let you know something.

5. okeitrucker

okeitrucker Member

Chad,

You're one busy guy on this forum! Thanks for all your answers to other people's questions, I've been learning lots!

6. okeitrucker

okeitrucker Member

Found it!! It's on the passenger side, at the back of the transfer case, somewhat hidden by the muffler. But if you get your head all the way under, it's one of those bolts with a square indent. Pretty easy to find once you know where it's at!

7. bigguybigguy

bigguybigguy New Member

Mine was on the drivers side like they said but I used Syn oil 50W as in the winter oil was so thick made it hard to shift in the cold .
    You would start it cold with the cultch in idle a min. let the cultch out and the motor would stall .

My 2 cents

8. Lil Red

Lil Red New Member

My truck is doing the same thing when its cold, you let the clutch out it stalls. Any idea how much oil it takes when changing it?

9. Daner

Daner Member

Not sure if you ever found an answer for this. I can't remember how much I put in but you fill it up til the oil level is at the fill hole and starts to come out.

I have also stripped out the plug. I just ground a bolt head to fit the hole, welded it to the plug then welded a nut on the end of the bolt. It works I guess.

10. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

What about a syn gear lube, or would a syn motor oil be even better?

11. milmor88

milmor88 Member

Lil Red and bigguybigguy I have the same issue as well, i never push in the clutch to start and it would always jerk forward a little bit. This morning when it was 14 F out i started it with the clutch pushed in...much easier when i got out to scrap ice....the thing started moving foward as i let out the clutch. When warm...no problem I had wondered if it was the pilot bearing or maybe to thick of oil...i think i have 80-90W gl-4 in it now. It also seems like when cold...when you shift it is like you are applying the breaks and it slows down...i'm thinking this might be due to cold thick oil as well.

12. Titus

Titus New Member

I had the same issue with my 95 in the cold. Once it hits the -10 and colder the trans drags the engine down when starting. I put fully syn Royal Purple 75-90 in my tans and diffs. I use my truck mailnly in the winter time with tracks on it so I wanted a high grade of oil to keep things well lubricated in the cold. It helped with the starting issue but when it’s -25c I still gotta push the clutch in. I think it took about 5L of oil to do both diffs and trans n t case. Hope this helps

13. matt167

matt167 Active Member

Everybody should take note that the Suzuki requires GL-4 and cannot use GL-5 due to the bronze syncronizers. GL-5 eats yellow metals, and oils spec'd for both, only spec GL-4 for differentials ( no yellow metals ), the GL-5 spec is for transmissions. The viscosity spec is 75W90 though

I daily drive my Suzuki and I put in Redline 75w90 GL4 in the trans. Cold lugs the trans for sure, but it's workable

14. Larry Picarello

Larry Picarello New Member

Can you please clarify the quoted post?
    GL4 for trans or diff?
    GL5 for trans or diff?

15. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

GL - 4 for the trans.
    I too use the Red line.

16. Badmadadam

Badmadadam New Member

I'm sure it's all ready been addressed somewhere and this might seem like a stupid question but....

All the pictures of transmissions that I'm seeing have fill and drain plugs that are accessible from the driver side of the truck. My truck doesn't have that. But on the passenger side there is a fill in drain plug on what looks like the transfer case. It seems like the transfer case and the transmission share fluid and that's the place where you fill and drain it. Please advise. The first picture is from the driver side of the transmission. The second and third picture are of the transfer case from the passenger side.

Attached Files:

17. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Second and third pics are the fills
    Drain is on the bottom

18. Badmadadam

Badmadadam New Member

Copy that. The third pic is on the bottom of the transfer case. Just a bit confusing. Every video I'd seen had them the drain and fills in a different spot. Didn't want to put something where it didn't belong . Thank you!