1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Valve clearances

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Otaku, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Otaku

Otaku New Member

New poster. Tried searching but didn't see the answer. I have to change the cam cover gasket and while I'm in there I want to check the valve clearances. It's a circa-'93 DF51V with the F6A SOHC 12-valve turbo. Anybody know the valve clearance values for that engine? Thanks!

2. Gregkabob

Gregkabob Member

In my book it has a 2 valve and 4 valve engine specs. I'm going to assume yours is the 4 valve 4 per cyl x 3 = 12 valve.

It says

COLD: IN: 0.08 mm EX: 0.10
    HOT: 0.12 mm 0.12

Hope this helps you out.

3. Otaku

Otaku New Member

Thanks a bunch! Leave it to the fastidious Japanese to print both cold and hot specs. Though it's a little strange that the hot temp clearance is greater than cold temp. You'd think it'd be opposite, so that when the engine cools off the tolerance doesn't go from wide to really wide.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  4. Gregkabob

Gregkabob Member

I'd like to know what HOT is. I've use to do it on my old Ramble American hot and it was no fun. I think I'll stick with doing it cold:D

5. Otaku

Otaku New Member

Yep. I know the feeling. I have a '49 Buick model 46S sedanet with the original straight-8. The service procedure for checking valve lash is three pages long, much of it to do with warming up the engine properly (they recommend you drain the coolant and replace it with straight water if you're going to just let it idle up to temp in the shop--doesn't everybody replace the coolant for that?).

After you warm it up, you have exactly 10 minutes, according to the manual, to take the rocker cover off, take the plug plate off, take the plugs out so it's easier to crank by hand, take the oil bath aircleaner off so you have clear access to the tappets, and check and adjust the lash on all 16 valves before the engine cools enough to alter the gaps. Apparently, they didn't think to put in a cold temp figure.

6. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

on volkswagens with stock aluminum push rods you have to adjust the valve lash to .006" cold only.

when you start to beef the valve train up for a better cam you have to run steel push rods. the expansion of the magnesium engine case, iron cylinders and aluminum heads vs. the steel push rods is such that you set them at "zero" valve lash. that is to say you set the push rod tight, then back it off just enough that it will spin between the rocker and the cam follower. cold. but when it heats up i have seen .012" - .020" valve clearance.

my race motors ran better when i set the valve lash warm, but when the engine cooled off it wold hang a valve open sometimes... that's why they have two different settings for hot and cold, so you don't hang a valve open and burn it... back to my old theory about valves.. i'd rather hear them than smell them :)

fmartin_gila likes this.
  7. Ronin

Ronin Active Member Supporting Member

Got that right fo' sho'.

Just did S19's; intake @o.o8, exhaust at 0.10 go/0.15 no go. Cold, but not icy; summer temps and she'd run in the morning. Sounds just about right once she's nice and warm.

Really runs very much nicer after, and a great way to spend an afternoon in the sun. :)

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  8. Ran440

Ran440 Member

Sorry about high jacking the thread, but is the valve cover gasket the reusable rubber kind like on my Ford Powerstroke Diesel or does it have to be replaced? They're not leaking right now. Will be lashing my valves soon and just want to be prepared.

9. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

Can anyone tell me for sure, if the 12 valve exhaust valves, he feeler gauge goes between the cam itself and the follower?

10. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

KCCats - I seem to remember that you sometime mentioned you had the K6A engine. According to the engine manual, engine must be cold, assume approx 70 F, check gap between cam and follower/shim, the manual has a drawing of how it is to be performed. Go to Jacobsen website and you can download a copy of the service manual for the Suzuki K6A-YH6 engine because they used it in some of their turf equipment.

Fred

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  11. KCCats

KCCats Active Member

F6a and thank you Sir.
    I cant down load but I really should get a manual.
    What all are the differences between the two?
    Isn't the K a chain?

12. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

As I recall the F6A is SOHC Belt driven & the K6A is DOHC Chain driven. They have slightly different bore & stroke measurements but come up with the same capacity of cc. Don't know if bellhousing end is the same or if they may or may not be interchangeable.

Fred

13. CharlesLat

CharlesLat New Member

where as us older generation were hands on on the two strokes the fourstroke is a lttle more complicated for the younger generation there must be someone on this site who is able and willing to create a thread on valve adjustment clearances and shim replacment any volinteers

Parker H Thompson likes this.