1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sambar Specific Vin Location

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by sooke, Jun 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooke

sooke New Member

I would REALLY like to find the VIN location on my 92 Sambar. Ive looked everywhere that posts have directed me. Insurance person told me that because this car was built for domestic market, it has no VIN. Whats the deal?

2. BLES

BLES Member

Mine is stamped into the frame close to the spare tire.
    BLES

3. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

They's wrong. The place BLES mentioned is one place and they other is on the
    passenger [left hand] foot well - just open the door and look around the corner
    where you put your feet and there it is. And if they don't match then you have a problem.:eek:
    It's just that the JDM has a different # of digits in their VIN from what we do in NA.

4. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

96 Sambar, VIN# is where BLES said. on frame. There is NOTHING on the passanger side where you put your feet! I've looked every where inside the cab, even under drivers seat which meant removing it and that was a "trick"!

Tmikewww (tom)

5. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

91 VIN Inside location

See Picture

Attached Files:

6. sooke

sooke New Member

bc vin

So when I insure my truckafter inspection, will I have to be assigned a new VIN, or will I keep the old , shorter one?

7. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

In BC they used to assign a new VIN but then they stopped doing that and they use JDM VIN# but they still charge the same fee.:sly:

8. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

Timetripper, Is it possible in later models they moved the "plate" somewhere else? I've looked everywhere and can not find it.

Tmikewww(tom)

9. GR.mike

GR.mike Member

You can find that same plate on the newer models inside the door on the drivers side...sometimes

10. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

I found a '98 that showed the 2nd VIN plate but picture was too close in to see where
    it was mounted. Good luck with the hunt.

11. ukmicro

ukmicro Member

My 94 has the JDM vin on the slam panel of the drivers door.

12. bobnalleweg

bobnalleweg Member

Sambar VIN Locations

I have two Sambar Vans a 1990 one and a 1993 one. Both have the VIN on the outside of the frame rail just behind the spare tire carrier. The 1990 van has the other one in the footwell on the passenger side. The 1993 van has the VIN on the door just below the door latch.

13. nikalex

nikalex New Member

1990 Subaru Domingo van VIN location

In addition to the frame rail stamped VIN - my 1990 Subaru Domingo van has a rivetted VIN plate on the left side of the passenger (left side) footwell where everyone says it is. It's hard to see because there is a plastic piece of interior trim in the footewell covering it up.
    But you can peek at it through a sight hole with a flashlight if you don't want to remove this piece of plastic.
    I had to do this recently going through air care in BC (our smog check equivalent). The technician said he had to see the VIN plate for himself.

Funny thing - I was meant to do a loaded highway speed smog check on the 4WD dynos here in Vancouver but the Domingo's wheelbase was far too short for the dyno to adjust to and being a full time 4wd they could then only test it at idle.
    Of course it did real well. What a joke our aircare is...

Cheers, Roman

14. Rick Melloh

Rick Melloh Member

VIN Location(s)

Honestly, I am confused, mainly because I still don't know how to read the VIN #(s) on my Sambar pick-up. The website given on the previous posting of this thread was not a help.

Here is the VIN # on my chassis frame, directly below the spare tire location: TT2 - 172620. This is not enough numbers to satisfy the State of New Hampshire for registration purposes.

I also have a "VIN #" on the RH driver's door opening, a stamped plate riveted to the body directly below the door activated interior light switch, low-left in the door opening. The numbers on the little plate read as follows:

LE-TT2 TT2FHBT
    TT-172620
    271 110
    FAC

Portions of both numbers match, but I'm not absolutely sure if the body and chassis are even of the same vintage.

My neighbor has run into problems and a revocation of the New Hampshire registration for his Suzuki Carry due to questions about the VIN #. He went into the local registrar (our town clerk) and was told the state had put a "note" on his file. I am concerned this might be a problem for me as well. I have until April to figure this out. That is when my registration is up for renewal. I might have to go begging for ag plates and hope they will give them to me, or this will be just another expensive atv for me.

I am still waiting to hear from my neighbor and find out if he found a way around his problem. I will post any news I get on this thread.

Thanks for any help out there.

Rick Melloh

15. msmini

msmini New Member

NH news

Rick- any updates? Just registered my mini (91 Hijet) ...and got farm plates, but now insurance co. says VIN is 'invalid' - hoping they don't create big problems for me with DMV. How did your neighbor make out - can he still drive his on street? We need to find a symapthetic legislator who will introduce bill to make these legal here in NH - live free or die -
    keep me posted. Having plow put on mine so haven't hit the road yet, should be ready next week. Even with the plates, I'm still afraid I'll get stopped........ Keene area.

16. Rick Melloh

Rick Melloh Member

Hey, MSMINI.

My registration is not up for renewal yet. I still wait to see if I run into problems.

Of greater interest to you: My friend had the town police chief come and verify the ID numbers extant on his vehicle, a 91 Suzuki Carry, and provide a document of verification to the town registrar/town clerk who then provided documentation to the state. The state is the biggest problem in this chain.

My guess is that this is politics more than anything else. New and used auto dealers have clout with their representatives, more than you and me. Just like insurers, funererary and medical practitioners, the auto dealers seek to have the laws written to make it hard for any new type of competition to sprout, or flourish once sprouted. Add in the fact that the state licensing and registration bureau wants its pound of flesh and doesn't like change or special vehicles that don't plug in easily to the computerized ID system that they operate. Call it inertia.

Don't buy the argument that it is all about safety. They'll license a Harley, but not an enclosed truck? Please!

My friend got his registration in the end. Talk to your local registrar/clerk and also your favorite police officer. Here in tiny Cornish, we have a very small population and the service given by our public officials is very personalized. I hope you have as good of luck in your larger demographic area of Keene. You're in the "big" city.

Let me know if you still have problems and I will make a follow-up on the exact steps taken by our town officials (play phone tag with the police chief). I'm not 100% sure of all the steps. Your police chief/dept and registrar should be familiar with providing this service. It is not unusual for an older vehicle, especially a "Frankencar", to require a new or verified VIN.

Good luck.

Rick

17. Rick Melloh

Rick Melloh Member

Sambar VIN#

Regarding discussions on this thread: I said I would let people know how things turned out.

My registration window came and went without a hitch. Apparently, taking the 8 figure JVN and adding enough figures to it to add up to the 19 figures in a USVN did the trick. The previous owner had pulled every extra letter and number used, off the plate riveted inside the left door jamb, though the plate offered a lot more choices than he needed.

My re-registration papers came through the mail from the Cornish Town Clerk in late March, without any red flags from State.

I'm in. I got my tags. It should be clear sailing from here on.

Now it's time for inspection.

Rick

18. msmini

msmini New Member

yahoo

Hi Rick-
    I'm all set too. I told the insurance co. to just add zeros to the vin til they had enough digits ..... so I'm in too. Future reg. should be easy now.
    ms mini

19. fujian

fujian New Member

What's the fee? humm...and why is ICBC still charging a fee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.