1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Spark

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by erbyderby, Sep 1, 2007.

1. erbyderby

erbyderby New Member

I was driving down the road today in my new toy (1992 Sambar) and it just quit. :( I found out that I am not getting any power to my coil. Can anyone give me some advice on how to remedy my problem?
    The coil has a plug on the back of it with two wires going into it(one black wire with a white stripe and one yellow wire). Where do these wires go....both to the ignition? Should one be hot all the time?:confused:

Really need some help! Thanks, Jason

2. erbyderby

erbyderby New Member

Found the problem - Easy fix

The problem was a blown fuse....easy fix but a little concerned why it blew. It's running great!

Jason

3. del.sol.dude

del.sol.dude New Member

which fuse was it?

i am having the same issue but do not read japanese which the fuse cover is printed in

i know this is an OLD post but i just recently acquired the sambar with this issue
    any help would be greatly appreciated

4. snap_stu

snap_stu New Member

I had the same problem the other day, just found this thread today! I had a blown fuse as well. It was the top row and second from the left (on my truck anyways) and it was a 15a fuse. After changing it she cranked over and sputtered a bit but I noticed a bit of smoke coming from the carb, after closer investigation I notice a wire was arching out. I patched it up but my battery is dead now.... I guess to much cranking not a enough running so after it's charged I will try it again and let you know how it goes.

5. del.sol.dude

del.sol.dude New Member

There doesn't seem to be anything to plug a fuse into in that position on my fuse block
    I found in another thread where someone had the fuse panel translation in English but none seemed to match my fuses

I have no clue as to the year of mine bc i am not kno-ing how to decipher the VIN

I've heard others say it could be the distributor ?

I just don't wanna start throwing parts at it

Any thoughts ?

6. snap_stu

snap_stu New Member

Sorry I miss spoke it was actually the fourth position from the left on the top row, the first two are empty. A real quick easy way to check them all is to pull them out and see if they are burnt out....that's all I did. I would suggest changing the distributor either way and the plug wires. I bought by distributor on line and went to my local car parts store and matched up sparkplug wires. I found that made a big difference.
    But I would start with pulling out each fuse one at a time and checking them to see if they are burnt out.... if you have not already done so

7. del.sol.dude

del.sol.dude New Member

so Ive tested ALL the fuses, installed a new coil AND a new distributor, STILL fuel but no spark. spins and spins but no fire .... GRRRRRRRRRRR ,
    pulling out hair!!! Any ideas? is there an ignition module? Crank Angle/Camshaft Position sensor? anything I'm missing ? Please tell me its something super simple and obvious! there IS fuel,new fuel pump, and plenty of voltage, brand new battery. Anyone have a service manual or ignition diagram?

8. del.sol.dude

del.sol.dude New Member

also, my Sambar is a 93 with 660 cc clover 4 efi , naturally aspirated

9. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

You could try checking to see if you're actually getting sparks at the spark plugs, by either removing a plug and grounding the threaded part to the case (away from the port, so you don't ignite anything), or by using a spark tester from an automotive store.

You might also want to check to see if your distributor is spinning. I.e., try starting the engine with the distributor cap off. If the distributor is not spinning, your timing belt may be broken.

Diagnose a Loss of Spark in Your Car Engine