1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1989 mighty mits timing belt help

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by md88, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Dan

Dan Member

Roll the cam gear over with a wrench until the two marks are near the top. The one on the left (facing it) will be the one that you align. The other is where you will turn the engine to after the belt is on and then lock down the tensioner.

2. Dan

Dan Member

don't forget about the oilpump pully. it also serves as the balance for the motor.

3. cgasch

cgasch Member

OK here are some pictures. The first one is the timing mark on what I think is tdc with rotor pointing #1 plug. If I am wrong on any of this please let me know.I am assuming the center mark is tdc.

[​IMG]

The next picture is one of the cam sprocket. You can see the white marked tooth is the timing mark. The two black marks are the timing marks on the cover I think. When I rotate the cam sprocket with a wrench,when it gets close to the upper mark(about 4 or 5 teeth) it jumps to the position it is in now.

[​IMG]

The last picture is of the oil sprocket and crank sprocket location when on tdc. If my tdc analysis is correct.

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help you can give me because I am stuck out in nowhere about 100 miles north of Mexico border.

4. Dan

Dan Member

The top pic...the mark on top is where you need to have it as the belt goes on. if it doesn't hold there on its own, you'll need to steady it as the belt goes on.

the bottom pic... you're off a little. it is hard to get a good visual of the marks/notches. i use a telescoping mirror to get a direct line-of sight on them. if you can't, the marks need to be in the position that they are closest together. notice that they move in opposite directions from eachother. the top one should be 1/16 to the left. and the bottom, 1/16 to the right. or you'll be a tooth off.

after the belt is on, check everything again. as the tension pulls on the gears it is easy to not notice that it pulled the gears around a little.

did you rotate the oil pump any while the belt was off? if so, you'll need to make sure it is in its proper rotation or the internal balancer will be out of whack and your truck will shake. *see diagram at the top of the thread*

5. Dan

Dan Member

The top pic...the mark on top is where you need to have it as the belt goes on. if it doesn't hold there on its own, you'll need to steady it as the belt goes on.

the bottom pic... you're off a little. it is hard to get a good visual of the marks/notches. i use a telescoping mirror to get a direct line-of sight on them. if you can't, the marks need to be in the position that they are closest together. notice that they move in opposite directions from eachother. the top one should be 1/16 to the left. and the bottom, 1/16 to the right. or you'll be a tooth off.

after the belt is on, check everything again. as the tension pulls on the gears it is easy to not notice that it pulled the gears around a little.

did you rotate the oil pump any while the belt was off? if so, you'll need to make sure it is in its proper rotation or the internal balancer will be out of whack and your truck will shake. *see diagram at the top of the thread*

6. Scotty

Scotty New Member

I'm thinking of buying a mighty mites.. Are parts hard to find?

7. Liuxias

Liuxias New Member

the lower gears have a notch in the outter gear surface that appears to line up with a dimple in the block. the oil pump gear has the same notch and it lines up with the dimple as well as a line in the outer surface that gear lines up with a pointer on the block. The truck now starts great and has tons of power. I don't know if iI'm being bit critical but it feels like there might be a bit more vibration that normal.

handyhülle iphone 6s

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  8. JeffZ

JeffZ New Member

How are the motor mounts?