1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cam belt.....can you tell if it's been done?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by dmerc, Aug 16, 2008.

1. dmerc

dmerc Member

This is my first worry, tho' I haven't had the Suzuki delivered yet. How can I tell if the belt has been replaced? He surely would've mentioned it in the Ebay ad, but coulda' been done before importation. Is there ANY way to know?

thanks,

other than my intro thread, this is my first post, so be especially kind, please!:p

2. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i was wondering the same thing, i've got a daihatsu with 100k on it. i was under the impression things like this are taken care of before it's exported. if not i think i need to get busy on it.

3. dmerc

dmerc Member

km's, or miles? Mine is 71,000 km's. Maybe I don't need to worry about it yet?

Arizona? Are you a rider Milt? A guy from work is on his way to Phoenix, AND back, on his HD. 400+ riders left from Indy last Sunday. Some charity thing,I think? He's never ridden more than 500 miles at once, and takes off for a 3600 mile round trip. He said the seat on his Harley is soft as a pillow. I bet he doesn't think that NOW!:D

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  4. Mighty Milt

i'm at 102k kilometers... that's just over 60k miles.

yep in arizona, and not a rider anymore. after i trashed my hand i realized it would be a long time before i could ride again, if i could at all. just sold my bobber in april to buy my mini :D the mini gets better gas mileage, has a/c and a heater :D

i miss riding, but not really in arizona. riding my bike home from work in the summer was like staring at a hair dryer for 30minutes.

5. Mighty Milt

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

stock is never good enough... my little bobber there, would pull the front wheel easily, a little scary the first time when it's a suicide shift, the bagger, that had enough power to smoke the back tire through first and second gear with two people on it...

the bobber was a fun little hot rod for bar hopping and running around, the bagger was for me and the missus to do the long road trips on. i built most of the bobber myself... even designed the suicide shift system and clutch mechanisms... that was my project. the bagger was just a lot of paintwork and engine mods.

both had bigger motors than my mini.. the bobber had a 1200cc motor the bagger had an 88" motor, i think that's like 1450 cc?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  6. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

And I was worried about mine at 45,000km. I guess I'm good to go for a while, although if I were Milt....I'd be getting it going real fast. All kidding aside I was thinking that even though mines only got 45k I thought that I better do it just because of its age.

-Greg

7. Mighty Milt

i think 60K miles is where you need to think about doing it.. i haven't dealt with too many ricers though. looking for a little input here if anyone KNOWS for sure when i should do it.

45k km is less than 30k miles, i don't think it's necessary yet for you.

8. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

What about age? Some Honda's viehicles say 10 years or 100k miles for the timing belt. I'm going on 10 years next year.

9. Mighty Milt

sounds fair enough, i would hate to lose a belt and foul up a head, now a shout out for someone that can sell me a timing belt for a good price... whatcha got?

10. GoFaster

GoFaster Member

The service manual should say what the replacement interval is (but it might be in Japanese ...)

The rule of thumb is that if there is no information on when to change it, change it every 60,000 miles / 100,000 km. The age of the belt is also a consideration but I don't think there is any fixed number of years. I wouldn't go much over 5 years on a belt.

Another thing; if you have no proof that the belt has been changed, then it needs to be changed NOW. Better safe than sorry.

11. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

i had 2 Metro belts snap over the years , it's a 1,000 cc Suzuki motor . 1 went at 60;000 and one at 102,000 miles . it was not an interference motor so i changed them on the side of the road. my new (to me) Metro's belt looked new at 100.000 miles but i replaced it anyway since i was butting a bigger cam in it. I've taken some out that looked like they have a zillion miles on them but they were running fine. if the motor was ever run hot or has oil on the belt , change it for sure.

12. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

Anything over 100,000km we are required to tell our customers about their timing belt needing replacement, also to write it on their work order to clear us of any liability in case it breaks.

If your in the 80-90,000km area, change it. It's not worth the hassle of swapping valves and gaskets out. It's not a hard rebuild, but one worth avoiding.

If it's not obvious that it's been swapped out, look for a white sticker usually about 3.5" long, and about 3/4" wide. Most good mechanics fill out these stickers, and put them on the timing cover, since every timing belt comes with the sticker included. It has the Japanese year (usually), and the mileage when it was replaced (in km.).

Looks like this, but usually written in Japanese..

http://www.samarins.com/check/timing_belt_sticker.jpg

If in doubt, swap it out!

Stan likes this.
  13. Mighty Milt

i came across these yesterday and meant to post pix of them to find out what they were... sorry the quality of the pix isn't that good, but the stickers are in real good shape... what do these mean?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

White one on top says oil, then right below partially says element..
    I assume filter element to mean oil filter, or could be air filter.

Orange one is oil change.. Aug. 17 of 2007...@ 78,000kms

Most maintenance places seem to have different stickers.

15. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

Sorry.. Aug. 19th 2005. Got my days and years backwards. Heisei 17 nen is 2005.

16. Mighty Milt

thanx don, those were on the door and the dash, i didn't see any on the motor. i took 7 semesters of japanese in high school and can only remember how to ask where the bathroom is... lol... not bad for never using it in the last 20 years

17. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

No problem..

The maintenance stickers are usually put on by full service gas stations when they do oil changes, transmission flushes, and sometimes A/C charges.

Japanese in high school? We didn't have anything but French and Spanish. I think they introduced German my senior year. Must have been a good school.

18. Mighty Milt

Long Beach Polytechnic "home of scholars and champions"

my family is from argentina, i wanted to take spanish for the easy A, but since i was in the excellerated program, they offered chinese, russian, german, japanese and some others not normally associated with high school curiculum.

19. dmerc

dmerc Member

That's what I wanted to hear. I figured they marked it somewhere.

Thanks Don,

Don (in-Ohio):D

20. dmerc

dmerc Member

BTW, wouldn't be a bad idea to make Don-in-Japan's cam belt post a sticky.

21. gregw98

gregw98 Member

I was about to correct you. Not!!!!!!
    greg

22. Ronin

Ronin Active Member Supporting Member

If the timing belt has been changed the accompanying sticker is invariably affixed to the belt cover, or somewhere nearby in the engine space. Suz19's:

[​IMG]

Pretty much universal, minor variations. "タイミングベルト交換"=timing belt change. The date and mileage (kilometerage) it was changed at follow.

Here replaced due to age rather than distance, at 24 years I figured a new one was the better plan. Done with a bunch of other general maintenance very soon after purchase.

Edit: Old thread is old... revived. Might help someone... :)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  23. Anne Sweeney

Anne Sweeney Member

I wanted to replace the belt myself but I anticipate I will be having a hard time removing the alternator pulley. I dont have a pneumatic wrench. Any suggestions?

24. Ronin

Why would you be removing the alternator pulley to do a timing belt change? Just loosen the alternator to get enough slack in the fan belt to get it off and out of the way, so you can get to the timing belt cover and thus the timing belt that resides beneath.

Which exact model do you have...? I can post a link or image or two to help you out. :D

25. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

I'll bet he was meaning Crank pulley and his keyboard misquoted him.Happens to me all the time.

26. Ronin

Stupid computers... could be, aye.

In any case, I've never had much trouble with the crank pulley bolt on a kei... soak it with PBlast for a while before you start, drive around for a couple of days. Put it top gear, set the p-brake, hook up and haul.

Eyeballs have bugged a couple of times but they didn't fall out. Yet. :D

27. Anne Sweeney

Anne Sweeney Member

I think we have a different model mine DD51T with F6A. Crank pulley must be removed to take the cover out to gain access of the timing belt

28. Ronin

Rgr... 'alternator pulley' ≠ 'crank pulley'.

No matter... see above. Should come off without too much hassle.

Good luck. :)

P.S. On the F6A, the timing belt also drives the water pump, TB change time is a good time to replace that too. Cheap insurance.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  29. Anne Sweeney

Anne Sweeney Member

My wrong
    My bad, yeah crank pulley..