1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owner's Review of LuLu Press "Full Factory Electrical Diagrams for Subaru Sambar"

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Timetripper, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Hi everyone, I was probably one of the first to purchase the LuLu Press
    "Full Factory Electrical Diagrams for Subaru Sambar" by James Danko
    and have owned it for a month or so.

Here is my review of this publication:

In no particular order it has these flaws:
    (some minor/ some major IMO)

- English is not to good i.e. Comination switch pg22

- Qualiity of the diagrams is quite poor, it's like they have been photo copied and then printed leaving the #'s inside
    the circles illegible to read. i.e. pg 33 EMPI Engine Control - on right hand side the #'s inside the circle are illegible even with magnifier.
    Which makes the diagrams not to easy to use if you cant tell what the wire or plug # is.

- pg.34 EMPI part 2 - it shows the Exhaust over heat warning light in the combi-meter panel yet it does not show the other end of the circuit at all.

- No electrical diagrams of wiper circuits at all. How is this possible?

- Not that I own a van but there is no diagram of the rear window defroster circuit. How is this possible?

- No mention or diagram of fuse panel. How is this possible?

Overall I would give this publication a 3/10 being somewhat useful but falling short considering it's title is "Full" Factory Electrical Diagrams.

Respectfully, Timetripper

2. Subaru

Subaru Member

I have one as well,since late June/early July.
    Maybe there was an 'early' edition that lacked everything.

To me it looks like someone had their 12 year old copy it.
    When I wired up some DRL's ,I found it more usefull to use the ole DVOM and testlight.
    I will see your 3/10 and raise you 1--only because it is the only manual like this available.
    It does give basic layout of which wires go where,which is handy,but in no way is it helpfull in diagnosis of components,be it views or connectors,back to old school fixin for me if needed.

After buying this manual however,saved me from spending the extra money to buy the mechanical manual-too bad I would have been an easy sell.

3. From the developers side Reply. “English is not to good i.e Comination Switch pg 22”. I think you are trying to say there is a spelling mistake on page 22 of a 33 page booklet. To should be spelled (too). Yes, there were a few mistakes in Version One. In Version Two we left page 22 alone for fun, yes it still says Comination Switch….LOL. The Diagrams are Subaru issue and yes they are not as good as Suzuki-Honda-Daihatsu. They are larger and difficult to fit in A4 size book. If you have a question you can always email. The wipers and rear defogger are in Version Two. It is not a troubleshooting book, it is a diagram book to run and or trace circuits.

Cheers All,
    Don

4. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Well to me that's all just poor workmanship.
    I have bought lots of different brands of repair manuals - Chiltons, Haynes, etc these are all aftermarket brands just like you are doing with the only difference being you are translating language. Im sure that over in NA most people look on spelling mistakes as poor proof reading that should have been corrected before production run.
    p.s. I'm not being paid to produce manuals for a living, I'm just a member on the forum. Thanks for pointing out my spelling mistake, maybe you personly should be proof reading the manuals before release.
    The whole reason a person buys a repair manual is so that when they have a problem they can fix it in a speedy manor. The other repair manuals I have bought put the electrical diagrams on fold out pages if necessary so that they are easily readable - you should have done this as well.
    That sure helps everyone who bought Version One.
    Huh? They only reason to buy the book is for troubleshooting. I would say run or trace circuits is troubleshooting in my books.

5. I think you have a problem reading English, where does it say “Repair Manual”? It says “Subaru Sambar English Factory Electrical Diagrams”. Let me translate English to English for you, it’s a book of electrical diagrams. Chilton’s and Haynes do NOT explain circuits, they publish a few factory schematics and you are lucky to get two pages from a Chilton’s and maybe 5~6 from a Haynes. This Subaru book has over 30 pages of Factory Diagrams. Get a life!

Irritated Don

6. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

y'all need to knock off the flaming. as i see it this was an opinion... opinions vary. you don't have to take it so personally don. let it go man, breath in, breath out. there was nothing personal about the review, it seemed very professional.

7. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Here is a partial list of repair manuals that I own:

• Chiltons Ford Full-Size Van 1989-96, it has 29 pages of electrical circuits including the fuse panel
    • Haynes Ford Full Size Van 1992-95, it has 54 pages of electrical circuits including the fuse panel
    • Haynes Toyota Camry 1983-1991, it has 24 pages of electrical circuits
    • Haynes Toyota Celica 1982-85, it has 45 pages of electrical circuits
    • Haynes Honda Accord 1976-1983, it has 23 pages of electrical circuits

That's a total of 175 pages divided by 5 books = average of 35 pages per book. I am willing to send copies to anyone who doubts the figures.

8. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

Don't Make Me Turn This Car Around!! Knock It Off Kids!!

9. Subaru

Subaru Member

Your right about opinions that vary.
    It is not the best manual out there,BUT it is the best and only english Sambar manual out there.
    Someone needs to publish a 'Learn Japanese' manual for mechanics.:rolleyes:
    Flame away on mechanics if you want-I got thick and dirty skin:D

10. Smabarwala

Smabarwala New Member

Hi Mr Donald , why you always look for appreciation and don't have the room to digest some critics about these manuals? Lols Lols about this behavior!!