1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Ohio owners: (maybe others?)

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by dmerc, Sep 3, 2008.

1. dmerc

dmerc Member

This is regarding the Gators, Rangers, Mules, etc being allowed to use SMV signs, and those who posted that the State Patrol would ticket them in a Kei truck:

"IF" you had an APV title for your Kei, would that change anything, as far as the SMV signs, and the areas that refuse to let you use them?

I got an APV title, and if I find I STILL can't use it on road, even with a SMV sign, then I'm gonna' be PISSED, seeing that I had to pay Ohio sales tax,title fee, serial inspection fee, all that crap. I felt fortunate to get it, but now I'm wondering what good it'll do?

Tho', with the sticker, I can use it in State Parks. (no State Parks nearby :frustration: ) :D

I see golf carts, Rangers, Gators, and all the others, buzzing around our town , and outlying area,with SMV's, but I KNOW they're gonna' pop me the first time I try to take it into town, or get spotted by the State boys. And obviously, most of the aforementioned,are NOT farmers!

So, if I produce an APV title,and Insurance papers, do I not have the same rights as any other APV? (note: I'm assuming that Gators,Rangers,etc. are titled as APV's, rather than ATV's.

2. snowfighter

snowfighter New Member

I drive mine to work nearly everyday. I have the SMV sign i have called all the locals and they say they wont bother as long as I'm not acting a fool. btw in case you didnt know the state of ohio now has what is considered fast SMV all yo uneed is a 45 mph sticker on your smv placard. now my question to you is how did you get an apv title? i was told i could not

3. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Here is how we roll to your south in Kentucky, just celebrated our 1st birthday of it becoming law:

KRS 189.517 Mini-truck -- Definition -- Criteria for operation -- Permitted and
    prohibited uses.

(1) As used in this section, "mini-truck" means a lightweight Japanese kei class
    utility vehicle.

(2) Except as provided in subsection (5) of this section, a person shall not operate
    a mini-truck upon any public highway or roadway or upon the right-of-way of
    any public highway or roadway.

(3) A person shall not operate a mini-truck on private property without the consent
    of the landowner, tenant, or individual responsible for the property.

(4) A person shall not operate a mini-truck on public property unless the
    governmental agency responsible for the property has approved the use of
    mini-trucks.

(5) (a) A person may operate a mini-truck on any two (2) lane public highway in
    order to cross the highway. In crossing the highway under this paragraph,
    the operator shall cross the highway at as close to a ninety (90) degree
    angle as is practical and safe, and shall not travel on the highway for
    more than two-tenths (2/10) of a mile.
    (b) A person may operate a mini-truck on any two (2) lane public highway if
    the operator is engaged in farm or agricultural-related activities,
    construction, road maintenance, or snow removal.
    (c) The Transportation Cabinet may designate, and a city or county
    government may designate, those public highways, segments of public
    highways, and adjoining rights-of-way of public highways under its
    jurisdiction where mini-trucks that are prohibited may be operated.
    (d) A person operating a mini-truck on a public highway under this
    subsection shall possess a valid operator's license.
    (e) A person operating a mini-truck on a public highway under this
    subsection shall comply with all applicable traffic regulations.
    (f) A person shall not operate a mini-truck under this subsection unless the
    mini-truck has at least two (2) headlights and two (2) taillights, which shall
    be illuminated at all times the mini-truck is in operation.
    (g) A person operating a mini-truck under this subsection shall restrict the
    operation to daylight hours, except when engaged in snow removal or
    emergency road maintenance.

Effective:June 25, 2013

History: Created 2013 Ky. Acts ch. 61, sec. 1, effective June 25, 2013

A couple of elected officials tried in 2009 and 2011 to really get these little trucks passed. As the bill read, you would register the truck as a motor vehicle, you would receive a farm plate (the 0 -26,000 lb plate that is on pickup trucks and such) and you would be required to insure it to the minimum limits, just like an automobile. They even had it broke down as far as what part of the registration fees went where. Some of our local Kentucky Farm Bureau insurance agents were ready to insure the kei trucks. There was even language in the bill addressing mini truck dealers. Then, someone did a "study" and it died on the house floor.

The way the law reads now isn't much different than our ATV laws. Just make sure to keep a shovel or post hole digger in the bed!