1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intro From Nova Scotia

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by boatman, Oct 16, 2008.

1. boatman

boatman Member

Hey Y'all - I've been a lurker here :sly: for a few weeks, reading posts and trying to digest it all... but today, I'm different. Today, I'm somebody- Today, I drove home a 1992 Suzuki Carry 4x4... :D Spent an hour and a half on the highway at speeds between 95 and 115 km/h, and then had fun just running around town a bit. Very fun to drive. The comments on the forum have been extremely helpful in assisting me in making the decision to purchase the truck and give it a go.

I'm a consulting mechanical engineer and this truck will be my daily driver. I also volunteer on a ground search and rescue team here, and we frequently end up miles back in the woods on fire and logging roads, atv trails and swampy areas... so I'm looking forward to making this little beasty into a more capable truck; without losing too much on-road stability. Form the vids I've seen on youtube and other places there's plenty of natural ability in these trucks if it's helped along a bit with some tweaks. The shortlist right now is:

front and rear receiver hitches
    larger rims and tires
    skid plates
    possibly a 2" lift kit, although I'm nervous about driveline angles
    aluminum toolbox on rhs under box
    AND A DAMN COFFEE MUG HOLDER!!

anyway - thanks for the guiding tips and tricks so far guys - this is a mine of information. I look forward to contributing where I may and learning from your combined wisdom some more.

From my wanderings on the forum so far I think I'm the furthest east any of these trucks are in terms of forum members - is this so?

Also - if anyone out this way is looking for one of these trucks, the experience I had with a new dealer located here in Nova Scotia was good. let me know and I'll give ya the details.

thanks -

ben

ps - Anyone know someone who wants to buy a very nice '02 dodge Dakota quad cab with all the trimmings incl new 31 x 10.5 BF goodrich M+S tires, front and rear receiver hitches, trifecta tonneau cover etc etc... really it's a good truck... just don't need it anymore!

Attached Files:

2. willietucker

Hi....I am just new and thinking of buying a minitruck. I just found out about the dealer in Nova Scotia and would welcome your imput on how they are to deal with., also is your steering wheel on the left or right and if right, what's
    it like to drive????:

3. boatman

boatman Member

Hey- they dealer is in Blockhouse, and they were fine to deal with. not a lot of detailed answers to my questions up front, but eventually all the info came thru and they worked up a nice truck for me. I was happy with the bedliner and clean-up work they did. I think their prices are probably a little higher than comparable ones in central canada, but the shipping costs to here and the problems with buying sight-unseen mean that you don't have a lot of choice out here, unless you're willing to travel to ont or que to buy. Didn't make much sense to me.

Anyway - On the whole it was a good experience, they did what they said they'd do adn I'll go back when this one dies... which I hope is a long time away. So far I'm very happy with the truck. I would say that if you're over about 5'10", go for the jumbo cab Diahatsu instead of the suzuki.

oh - and they're all right hand drive. No choice there really.

good luck-

bg

4. confuzed

confuzed Member

Blockhouse oh my lol just down the road from my aunts place i haven't been back to Nova Scotia in years spent 5 summers in the Mahone Bay area.My cousin has a used car lot near there can't remember the name of it tho lol. Like half the area he is a Nauss think that is how you spell it. Beautiful country lots of nice back roads to run on. I'll age myself now the last time i was back there they were putting in the highway.

5. Meesho

Meesho Member

how many kms and how much did you pick it up for?

6. Harvy50

Harvy50 New Member

many in stock at Blockhouse?

Hi, Do they have many trucks on location at Blockhouse?
    Thanks

7. boatman

boatman Member

Last time I was there I saw a few, but I know he's got some containers coming in. Email me at bgarvey@eastlink.ca and I'll give you his email. He'll tell ya what he's got.

bg

8. bumpas toy

bumpas toy Member

Hi there ! I bought mini Diahatsu jumbo hijet from Blockhouse mini truck sales ,Good lot to deal with .They just got a container (6) of new trucks come in (.Van) They have another one coming with more vans i think ,they can supply snow plows and other ass. think they have 17 trucks on the lot .

9. zxw

zxw Guest

Do they have a website?

10. bigguybigguy

bigguybigguy New Member

Fun Truck

I just got one last week from Chester with Dennis and he was good to deal with also. Block house mini trucks.
    I like mine it is a lot of fun.:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2009
  11. zardoz

zardoz Member

I know the folks at "Blockhouse Mini Trucks", great bunch! Even though I got my truck via private sale they still greet me with a smile when I come in for parts etc...

z

12. Yes I know Kirk and the boys.
    Looking for another mini truck or know any one, there are mini trucks in Chester.

13. zardoz

zardoz Member

Hey villagetrucks...

Did you pick up one of the machines from Kirk? Which one? (so I can honk and wave if we meet ;) ). Last time I was in they were putting the finishing touches on a truck with a cool little salt spreader for a customer.

Knowledgeable and friendly, I live on the same road as Kirk (the owner of Blockhouse minitrucks) and only about 10 minutes from the dealership. Really convenient for me. I like the folks there so much I offered to turn wrenches for them if they need any extra help... BIG step for me, I was an Army mechanic for 11 years and have given up that part of my life... but for them, if they need help... I'll do it! :D

z

14. Mr. T.

Mr. T. New Member

Furthest East

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I've had a 1994 Mitsu. Minicab 3 cyl 5 spd with air, with 34,600 KM on it when I bought it in Aug 2009.
    I probably also live further east than you do in Port Hawkesbury.
    I bought mine in Dartmouth, Burnside, from Jack, at Carson Imports.
    Great guy with all kinds of time for you. He'll sell them right out of the container, or spruce them up for you with a paint job, bigger tires, alloy rims, and mild customizing.
    There's a dealer in Subaru's (last I checked) in Middle River near Baddeck.
    I use mine off road (a bit) but she's a rough ride with close to stock tires/rims.
    It's my daily driver, except Sundays (when I treat myself) or when I have to travel on the Trans Canada. I don't much like being rushed along by 18 wheelers on my tailgate.
    In the summer I tow it behind my motorhome at no noticeable increase in gas consumption. Thank God I have a back window where I can see about 1 inch of the roof, otherwise I wouldn't know I was towing anything.
    Talk to you later......Congratulations........Good luck........Happy Motoring
    Mr. T.
    PS:
    If you go to the mall, Tim Hortons, Canadian Tire, Home Hardware, be prepared to spend a minimum of 1/2 hour answering questions about these trucks. They are truly a conversation piece.

15. NLMiniTruck

NLMiniTruck Guest

Furthest East

I live in Newfoundland, and I bought a 1993 Mitsibishi from Brenton Rentals & Sales in Marystown, NL. They have a selection

It has a 3" lift kit added, and 13" rims and tires. This Mini Truck is a blast to drive on and off the highway

I believe I am now the furthest east

16. zardoz

zardoz Member

I'd take that lift off...

Take a look and see if the diff has been dropped to accommodate the 3 inch lift. If the diff hasn't been dropped you are going to have trouble with your front cv joints. Do a search and find out more.

Have fun with your mini and welcome to the forum. :)

z

17. S.Hiro

S.Hiro Member

LHD are available

Hi all,
    yes most mini trucks & vans are selling RHD, but I do convert to LHD and now selling in Alberta & In Quebec,
    you can see these trucks at http://www.japanese4x4minitruck.com
    in case you like to have LHD,
    soon LHD will be available in Nova scotia,
    thanks & Have a nice day

18. whosnew

whosnew Guest

Hi boatman. I'm really interested in getting one of these vehicles however, insurance seems to be a problem. Did you have any problems getting insurance?

19. zardoz

zardoz Member

I insure mine through " The Personal ". The only thing that seemed to be an issue for them was to make it absolutely clear to me that I am not to use it for commercial purposes.

z

20. Hey All

hey all I was searching some stuff on bing and found this usefull site. So just registered to say hi and might be I will visit and posting here sometime.
    thanks

21. confuzed

confuzed Member

The Subaru has leg room I'm 6'1" and have no problems and i agree the Suzuki was tight

22. zardoz

zardoz Member

I might consider selling mine....

If you are looking I might sell my truck.... I've got my eye on a honda van so I gotta deal my suzuki if I want it.

z

23. Mziz

Mziz New Member

Hi there!
    I'm a beginner market gardener in Nova Scotia and I am seriously considering buying a mini truck as an on farm work vehicle/delivery vehicle. A mini truck's light weight, versatility, good gas mileage, potential for a dump bed, and apparent reliability sounds ideal for the small scale commercial veggie garden. I have one big concern though... I am in no way mechanically inclined and it scares me to buy such a foreign truck. If the mini truck breaks down, I dont trust myself to fix it and I know that I dont have the time to spare to wait weeks or even months for parts. Are parts more expensive because of shipping? Have people had bad experiences with their trucks breaking down on them and waiting long periods to get it fixed? Most importantly, are there reliable mechanics at Blockhouse mini trucks or carson exports that could help me in a bind?

I'm also wondering if anyone has a Toyota LiteAce mini truck? As far as I know it is the only mini truck with a diesel engine. This interests me as I plan on switching to veggie oil.

Any tips would be great! Thanks in advance.

24. bigguybigguy

bigguybigguy New Member

My two cents worth

I have one report 45,000 km on it very little trouble on this one wears out I'm going to buy another one

25. Mziz

Mziz New Member

Where did you buy your liteace? How much for one with only 45,000 km? Do you do all the maintenance yourself? Where are you located? I would love to check out the truck if you're cool with that