1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Combination switch rebuild

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Timetripper, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

It's totally rebuildable. The combination switch includes:

Hazard light sw, Turn signal sw, Windshield wipers & washer sw and of course the headlight sw

This rebuild is for folks having trouble with either their turn signal switch, headlight switch & dimmer or wipers :frustration:

The only thing that is a seperate switch is the windshield washer - it's up in the stalk
    and not covered by the procedure below.

How to:
    1. Remove the steering wheel [see my photo gallery- IMG_0974
      to see if your steering wheel is the same].
      Start by removing top horn button cover - it's clipped on with some really firm clips.
      *** applies to 1991 models, other steering wheels might be different*****
      Remove nut/ washer from steering column.
      Use puller to remove S. wheel from column.
    2. Remove plastic shroud from around steering column - there is two pieces upper & lower.
      As well as some screws there is also some alignment clips that hold it together.
    3. Disconnect all the plugs that run to the combination switch near the base of the steering column.
      There's a ty wrap around the main wiring harness - don't have to cut it, it's the removable kind.
    4. There are 2 or 3 screws that hold the combination switch to the steering column, remove these and it should slide right off.
      Sometimes the "cam" for the turn signal holds it up a bit so be patient.
    5. On work bench turn combination switch upsides down.
      Remove all the screws that hold the circuit board on EXCEPT FOR the last one.
      There is some spring loaded brass contacts in behind that do the switching - they will go to God knows where if given the chance.
      Now that you know this you can remove the last screw just don't say I didn't warn you :D
    6. Clean up all the contacts with some electrical switch cleaner NOT brake cleaner - some brands are not friendly to these parts.
      Relube the contacts with some light grease.
    7. Reassemble the combination switch.
    8. Now that switch is back together you can clean the "cam" for turn signal, remove old lube both inside and out.
      I recommend a light smear of lube on the inside and out of the cam.
    9. Reverse the above list and you should be good to go.

This is a repost from another thread that I did just so it would be here for reference.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  2. wainair

wainair Member

More great reference material. Thanks Timetripper!!

3. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

NP
    It's one of the best things Iv'e found on the Sambar that when something goes wrong
    it can be rebuilt - often without buying any new parts, just some elbow grease.
    Elbow grease not recommended for the above as lube :D

4. Subaru

Subaru Member

When are you going to publish your own manual;)

5. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

One page at a time by the looks of it. :D

6. Rural

Rural Member

I just followed Timetripper's instructions (which he presented in reply to a problem I brought up in another thread). Before, I had to twiddle with my head-light switch and get it about half-way between "head-lights" and "park-lights" to work. Pulled out the switch, took it apart, cleaned the contacts (had to use fine sand-paper for some), put it back together, reinstalled, and everything works exactly as it should.

Kind of makes me sad. As I fix these issues, my truck has less and less personality.

7. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Glad that did the trick for you.
    As much as I like personality in a truck I also don't like drama
    i.e. going down a twisty road at night and trying to get the headlights to come back on :eek:

8. Rural

Rural Member

Add kamikaze deer to the equation, and you've got my first night-time drive in a mini-truck. Trust me when I say that we are of like mind on this issue.

9. Wribrinurname

Wribrinurname New Member

awesome diy When i put my blinker on, it doesnt return to the nuetral position after i have turned. Is there a way to fix that? Sorry to hijack the thread

10. hodgsoda

hodgsoda New Member

Hi, I have a 1992 Sambar truck that needs to have the combination switch fiddled with as well. However my horn cover looks different than the one that is pictured in this DIY thread.
    Does anyone know how to remove this style of horn cover? I suspect it unclips from the top or bottom but I don't want to force it and break something. There doesn't appear to be any fasteners behind the steering wheel.
    I have attached a picture of my horn cover for reference.
    Thanks very much in advance.
    Dave

Attached Files:

11. lefty.in.a.righty

lefty.in.a.righty New Member

Wribrinurname
    for your signal reset issue...
    if you take the cover off your steering column, you'll see on the left side a white plastic clip that aligns with the turn signal handle from the other side. If you remove this clip you should see it holds a spring with a small metal ball between two plastic notches on the end of the signal handle. this is what causes your signals to flip off as you straighten after a turn. It is likely that the spring/ball mechanism has come apart or is missing a piece. Should be easy to fix.

12. carl robinson

carl robinson New Member

Don't mean to resurrect a thread, but I doth my cap to you sir.

Just rebuilt the switches on my 92 bus, cleaner, white grease and a flat head to scrape the crud off.