1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheels and Tyres - Help please

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Two Showers, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Two Showers

Two Showers New Member

When I first started looking for my Samber, I'm sure I saw somewhere that they come on 12" rims. Can't guarantee it, but it's in the back of my mind that I read it somewhere.
    Well my 4 wheel drive Samber (VW Lookalike) is on 13" rims, and more confusingly the front tyres are 155SR13 and the rear tyres are 145F13.
    I want to get some new nice looking rims and some new (winter) tyres. Put the winter tyres on the steel rims and some nice new rubber on some nice new looking rims. Can I ask this forums expertise to put me on the right track.
    I am on the right sized rims? Should all the tyres be the same profle/reference on all four?
    What's a good set of Winter tyres to aim for, bearing in mind that we do sometimes get some snow in England (although recently it's been rain all year round, Summer and winter).
    I thought I'd best ask the experts (you lot) seeing as you all have a lot of experience in Samber land and I'm just a newbie.

[​IMG]

2. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Two Showers,

You came to the right place to ask.

My thoughts in no particular order:
    • It's quite possible you have rims from a German Subaru Libero on your rig. They are almost identical vans execpt they have LHD and bigger engines 1.2L [?] or they could just be 13" off something else that fit. I''ll keep on a lookout to see if I can figure out what size the orginal Subaru "Combi" rolled out of the factory on, because it's always possible the factory put 13"'s on them as part of that retro look. See attached picture of the Classic version of the Sambar
    • With yours being a 4wd then yes it is extremly important they have same size front and rear.
    • Check on the drivers door to see if there is a sticker there that should tell you what size of tires it came with from factory and the inflation pressure in bars. Let us know if there is one please.
    • This is a really useful site for comparing tire sizes ---->>>> http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg2.html just scroll down and you will see tyre size calculator.
    • The tires you have on there [155SR13 &145F?13 are equal to a 82 series i.e. 155/82R13 - see the above web page for info on this.
    • If you can confirm the tire size [from sticker] as being what is on the van [155SR13] then you could use 155/80R13 as it is same O.D.
    • Pirelli make a nice snow tyre called "Winter Carving". Other ones to see - Nokian brand make pretty good ones and Kumho [if available in UK] KW19 - this what I am using see my photo gallery for tread.
    • For a nicer set of alloys try to find 14" x 5.5" [offset can be 35 - 45mm] or 14" x 6" [offset no more than 35 mm] bolt pattern: 4 x 100mm - common pattern BTW.
      For tires 165/65R14's is good combo - what size I run but needs to be checked on your front for rubbing/ clearance at tire shop.
    • Don't know if anything in 15" low profile would work or be available to you.

This should be enough info to get you going.

Attached Files:

3. 350v8s10

350v8s10 Member

Two Showers,

Hi. Not to hijack the thread, but tell me all about your Sleeper caravan ('trailer' to us in the US?).

Back to the tires & wheels, look in the Tips & Tricks section. I just posted info and links as to various custom wheels for mini-trucks.

http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?t=3166

Also, for 4WD use your tires should be the same diameter front & back. The width need not be. This prevents stress on the running gear from being subjected to different torsional forces at each differential/axle set.

Terry

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  4. Stormin

Stormin Member

Two Showers, I was looking through some old posts and saw your van and trailer. Looks really good. Did you ever find some aluminum rims?

5. El Ventu

El Ventu Member

On 155R13C you can find the Maxxis MA751.
    I have them on my autocaravan in 185R14C and I like it, good on highways with good traction on light offroad.

Between remolded tires you can find loads of offroad treads in 135 and145R13, the measurements for the Fiat Panda 4x4.

6. Gardener

Gardener New Member

Hello, sorry realise that this is an old post, but I have a Sambar the same as yours and I don't have a spare wheel or tyre, plus I know nothing about them! Did you get this resolved and if so can you offer me any advice? I'm based in Leeds and really struggling to find a supplier / garage in the know! Many thanks,

7. Catcat

Catcat New Member

Phew gardener you have made me feel better, we have just got our first sambar, of which we know very little about and are having exactly the same problems. Being based near sheffield we just get blank looks from local garages!