1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subaru Sambar Carb

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by donszel, Nov 10, 2008.

1. donszel

donszel New Member

Hi, I have a 1992 subaru sambar with a carb. We installed a turbo on it and when the boost hits 2 psi. It seems as if the carb turns the fuel off, and the truck dies.

Does anyone have any information on how this carb works? I know that it is a variable ventrui carb? How do you adjust the power mixture on the carb?

Any information would be of help

Thanks
    Daren
    ________
    Hero honda hunk

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  2. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

If possible some pictures for everyone to see this install would be helpful

3. Subaru

Subaru Member

Not to put down anyones ability,but would you have looked into all variables before putting a turbo on,and I would think if you can fab up and install a turbo,you should be able to work through any other issues.
    Pictures would be nice.
    Maybe an EFI unit would be a better choice for this:confused:

4. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i'm not REAL familiar with CV carbs, but i know you can adjust the needle in there for more fuel. but it seems like there is something else you are overlooking maybe. it's not that the carb is "shutting off" it's just not "keeping up". that turbo is pushing more air than normal through the carb into the cylinders. with more air you need more fuel. or it will die because you cylinders don't have enough fuel to burn. i seem to recall having to really step up the main jet in carbs when running a turbo. i'm assuming this is a "blow thru" set up. have you checked that your carb is sealed tight enough that when you get on the boost it's not blowing fuel out of the carb somewhere?

5. donszel

donszel New Member

Thanks for the quick replys. I have completly changed the plan. I have solved the problem by removing the carb and installing a throttle body. I also have put the truck strickly on propane. Using a draw thru turbo system. I have just rigged it up for testing and the truck runs great. Also more power I can now pull a hill in 5 th gear with out shifting down. This is rigged up with out fine tuning the mixture. basicly I put the system on and went for a drive.

I will have pictures as soon as I finish it completly and get the propane system inspected.

Thanks for your guys help.
    Daren Donszelmann
    ________
    Cheap crosman clips pumpmaster powermaster diamond

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  6. swampfox

swampfox Member

Carbureted Sambar

Now I'm interested in this. I have a '91 with, I assume, the same carb. I've been plagued with a "running rich" problem for 3 years on startup which I can't remedy. I would be interested to know what could replace the oem carburetor, and it sounds like you've found one solution at least.

7. Mighty Milt

running rich on start up is typically a choke that needs adjustment.

8. swampfox

swampfox Member

'91 Sambar carb adjustments

Does anyone know how to adjust (specifically) the EN07 engine's carb? I have the new Sambar Service Manual which shows some adjustments, but not all--including the choke screw adjustment. It is located on the bottom of the carb. If the screw were turned clockwise or counterclockwise, what would I be looking for in order to have the choke set correctly, and to avoid my rich running situation on startup? I had a thought yesterday when I was tinkering with it's carb. You know the air intake into the filter box is connected to inside the truck's frame and gets the air through a duct behind the front grill which is plumbed into the frame. So, the frame is a long air intake. Anyway, I blew the frame out from the engine end with a leaf blower. I don't believe there was any stoppage, but I could see how something could get into the frame and stop up the air intake. I wonder how a little inline blower in the frame would affect the carb's breathing--or maybe put a K&N type filter behind the front bumper and run this into an empty filter box (without the stock filter)?

9. Mighty Milt

air boxes serve two purposes, they conveniently hold the filter and the baffle carburetor noise. if you've ever run a motor with an open velocity stack you know what i mean. if it's only rich on start up, you can adjust how far the choke closes, but as you lessen it's closure you lose the "choke" aspect. i couldn't tell you exactly where it should be set, that's a little bit of trial and error. if there was a block in your frame rail, or restriction anywhere in the system it would run rich all the time, and would also have a loss of power and fuel economy.

10. WELDER

WELDER Member

Very interesting. What throttle body did you swap to? Easy swap?

11. slimbad

slimbad Member

This is a relatively old thread. The OP "donszel" that you posed the question to hasn't been on the forum in the last 14 months. So he may have moved on..............later, slim

12. WELDER

WELDER Member

Thanks slim.

13. Rebelmini

Rebelmini New Member

I need a new electric choke for my 1994 Subbie. At least i think it is a choke. It bolts on the side of the carb, has a plunger like rod that goes in and out. The two wires coming out of it have melted off. Can anyone help?