1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kia Left Hand Drive Mini Truck Spotted

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Allagash, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Allagash

Allagash New Member

I was making a delivery to the local navy base today and I spotted a mini truck while I was hanging around to unload. I was able to snap a few pictures. It had KIA imprinted on the steering wheel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Allagash

Allagash New Member

Here's one more pic:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  3. d rock

d rock Member

my buddy saw one in Winnipeg too. said it looked showroom cond.

4. That's an old Metro Motors Micro Truck. I built ALOT of accessories for those trucks back in 2000. They have a short bed and a long bed. I still have all the prints for them. I believe those are Chinese trucks. That one in the pictures has a rear bumper from a company called Gator Ramp, they've long been gone though.

5. Allagash

Allagash New Member

The facilities guy told me the truck used to be his to drive around the base but it needs a new carb and a replacement was $1,000 so now it just sits there. He did say that he liked it alot better than the Kawasaki Mules they drive now. The mules run like crap he said.

6. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Man, i love a thread that has pics! It sure beats a good story, when its a good story WITH pics!!!:D;):cool:
    Nice photo, thanks for posting.
    Well, thats one of the few RHD mini-trucks on the market. Is the one pictured the "short bed" or the "long bed" version you speak of Diamondback Mfg???
    What year do we guess that one is?
    -mark

7. It appears to be a long bed. I would guess the year to be somewhere in the late 90's to early 00's...Hard to say for sure.

8. Allagash

Allagash New Member

The facilities guy said it was about 7 years old....

9. Youngauto

Youngauto Member

The speed limiter seems a little different to the one`s we put on our trucks.
    Maybe it`s a new version for the Navy:D

10. wolocom

wolocom New Member

Hey I just bought one of these here in PA..where can I get parts for it or even a service manual. Let me know asap..I would like to be able to hook the carb up right..need a diagram about where the vacuum lines go..whoever worked on this thing hooked things up wrong..HELP Thanks. email me at wolocom@netzero.net if anyone has any advise. thanks

11. landscaper

landscaper New Member

left hand drive!!!

i have a 99 kia and its left hand i'm from the winnipeg area anyone know if someone could get more????

12. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Where did you get it from?

13. landscaper

landscaper New Member

i got it from a fellow in portage but he just had the one are the kia's usually left hand?

14. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Well, i'm not really to sure. I do know that its hard to get anything newer than 15 years old, so for you to have a 99 means you probably have EFI and such, what no one else has. It being LHD, it probably came from the States and that is why you can have a 99. I'm really curious how that came across the border. Is it limited to 25mp/h? Can you license it for the road?
    You should see if you can find out more where it came from? Perhaps run a carfax on it. It should show where it was first registered and such.

15. landscaper

landscaper New Member

the kia actually runs on propane, and its fully registered and legal we use it as a work vehicle and it goes over 100km/h or 62mph ish then i have a diatsu hi-jet aswell its the 4x4 and gas but its max speed is around 70 km/h and its right hand drive like all the other ones i found, i will look in to the car fax sounds interesting thanks

16. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

The real question is this:

How did the Kia get into Canada? It would not be a legal import here. (It is not to CMVSS standards, and it is less than 15 yrs old)

I have spoke to the previous owner of the Kia in Winnipeg who claims its all "legit". I have my doubts it is truly legitimate. (I have seen hundreds of illegal vehicles in Canada... Just because it got in, doesnt mean it should have. Only in the last year did the Toyota MR Spyder become admissible to Canada. I saw one 6 years ago with Sask plates on it when it was definitely illegal. Same goes for Austin Mini's especially in the US. The Mini body didnt change until 2001. It was essentially the same from the 60's to 2000. Many cars in the US are 99's, 00's, but registered as 76's and the such. This is because Mini VINs really cant be decoded and it can be very difficult to tell the actual date of manufacture.)

17. george

george New Member

contact parts@glbfe.com

18. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

hmm someone found a loop hole i think.