Click to view all our sponsors

Thread: Carb Tuning Techniques

Default Carb Tuning Techniques

These sheets are from a Mitsubishi Minicab (Year and model I've forgotten now), but the carb setups and design are similiar to most Japanese models, although in slightly different positions. The diaphrams, linkages, and tuning techniques should be pretty close to many, and at least it is a starting point.

Like I've said, carbs are the Achilles heel in these vehicles. The sheets will do little for a carb that needs an overhaul, or a complete swap.

Don

Last edited by greg0187; 12-14-2008 at 09:44 AM.

Hi Don,
    Thanks for the even more detailed carb (with translation wording) diagrams. The hardest part of doing any of these adjustments are some of the contorted positions required of hands, arms and body! Front right side engine bay vs. rear bed hatch access.
    Later!

Those pages look really familiar...I have the american manual for a slightly different carbureted mitsubishi. (89-95 mightymits truck 550cc) I put that chapter of the manual online at this link

http://www.box.net/shared/0kpymfg7bs

I appreciate all the thanks I continue to receive for these translations.

Keep up the great work Don.... without your translations.. these pages would be useless clutter! Sure glad you are here to help us keep our little monsters alive!

z
    1993 Suzuki Carry DD51T, 5 speed, up-graded rims to 13's from a geo metro
    Too much time on my hands and not enough fabrication gear to do all those "little" projects I NEED... ok want is more like it

Has anyone ever had problems with the "variable venturi" system inside the carb? I'd like to figure out a way to test mine.
    1973 Mazda Rx3
    1989 Minicab 800cc 4x4
    Vancouver, BC

Default carb for 3G81 engine problems

Hi I recently bought a Mitsubishi U15D truck and it has carb problems. I have had it apart several times and it seems to be dumping to much fuel and won't idle at low RPM'S I don't know much about this style mikuni carb I have worked on a lot of motorcycle carbs but not like this. Does anyone know about working on or know were I can get a nother carb? Thanks, Steve

Thanks for this Don!
    Now I have another question for you or anyone on this forum;

Where are the spark plugs, and what spark plugs do I buy at the store, and do I need a special tool to change them?

How do I check them, how will I know they are in need of changing?

Thanks,

Candyk

Default sparkplugs

depends on which truck and what year, my 88 U15T they are on the left side of the motor. Easily accessible from under the truck

Default Bravo Mini Van Spark Plug Location

Oh lovely. I'm looking forward to getting under my van. Yoy. Mine is a 3g83, U42V. 3 cyl, DOHC. Does that help you or anyone else to know whether the plugs are easiest reached under the seat or under this van?

I couldn't get it started in the end of winter, but changed the air filter and finally got it started with some persistence after that, let it run for a half hour, and haven't started it for about two weeks. Haven't really needed it, but want to make sure I'm not going to be stranded the next time I take it out.

Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

--Candy

Quote Originally Posted by sdjenk View Post
    Hi I recently bought a Mitsubishi U15D truck and it has carb problems. I have had it apart several times and it seems to be dumping to much fuel and won't idle at low RPM'S I don't know much about this style mikuni carb I have worked on a lot of motorcycle carbs but not like this. Does anyone know about working on or know were I can get a nother carb? Thanks, Steve
    hey if you still need help with the carb let me know i can rebuild it for you.

Very cool. Tjamx for taking the time to.share this information. Even though you knew the repercussions of your kindness would result in thousands of questions.hahaha