1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blower Motor Pictures/ Blower Motor Resistor Replacement for V-KS3/4 & V-KV3/4 Sambar

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Timetripper, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Photos courtesy of Yahoo Japan
    [​IMG]
    This shows the left hand side with the heater core inlet/ outlet.
    R.H. side of picture is the top when installed in truck/ van
    [​IMG]
    This shows the right hand side with the blower motor & resistor.
    Note: Defrost duct is removed in this picture - see picture below.
    L.H. side of picture is the top when installed in truck/ van
    [​IMG]
    Close up of the Blower Motor Resistor - it has the cut off plug still in the resistor
    Subaru OEM Part # 72024TA002 [Blower Motor Resistor]

[​IMG]
    This shows the defrost duct that is in your way when trying to replace the resistor

Untested method for replacing the Blower Motor Resistor in the beloved Sambar:

1. Remove bezel from speedometor, remove speedometor [needs to have two wiring plugs & speedo cable removed from back]
    2. Remove defrostor duct if possible - has screw holding it on at top and possible screw or zap strap holding it in at bottom
    3. Working from the hole where the speedo used to be you should now have room to see and work on the blower motor resistor.
      Uplug resistor wiring harness and remove two screws. Replace with new unit and reverse above.
    4. If the above does not work the only other choice is to remove the entire dash panel to access the blower motor resistor.
      This would include: speedo, glove box, speakers, radio, etc coming out first.:(

Untested Part # & Picture
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the picture of a blower motor resistor from a 95~98 Nissan 240SX.
    This appears to be very similar to the one used in the Sambar.
    Part #'s: Standard Motor Products # RU216/ Four Seasons # 20131/ Airtex # 3A1162/ AC Delco # E1132

It is unknown at this time if this will work in the Sambar or not.
    ***Proceed at your own risk****

I will edit this as time goes by when I finish doing my own unit or others input feedback to me.

2. confuzed

confuzed Member

resistor function

Ok here is a real dumb question for you....... what exactly does the resistor do? The heater in my Sambar when i bought it worked great now it only works on high (thank god at -38C with wind chill it works on high) It would be nice though in the spring and fall to be able to use lower speeds,and if it is a problem that may worsen I would like to solve.

Ryan Peel likes this.
  3. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

The resistor adds resistance to the 12 volt supply to the heater blower motor. The more resistance this less rpm the blower turns.
    With the blower in the Sambar being a 3spd fan the resistor has two circuits on it - low speed has the most resistance and
    medium speed less resistance than low speed, for high speed the resistor is by-passed all together so the blower motor gets the full 12 volts.
    Even if the resistor fails you should always have high speed on the blower because it isn't used as noted above.

Likewise if you don't have high speed on the fan at some point then it could be:

1. Fuse
    2. Switch
    3. Blower Motor

4. confuzed

confuzed Member

did this resistor work?

5. 3van

3van New Member

The thermal fuse on my blower resistor pack was cooked. I had speed 0 - 1 - 2 all acting as 'off' and speed 3 acting as full speed.

I replaced with the Nissan 240SX version I sourced locally. There is an extra connection which the Sambar doesn't use, but it still works. Sambar has speed 0 - 1 - 2 - 3; whereas the 240SX has speed 0 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4.

I only did step 2 and step 3, as above - the fit is tight but it's possible.

(I have a 1994 Subaru Sambar KS4)

6. GeoJoe

GeoJoe Member

Any updates or part source for this thread? My fan and heat work great! - but only on high (3). No 1 or 2 speed.

7. 3van

3van New Member

Hey GeoJoe. The Nissan 240SX version works, and is still going strong since I installed it in April 2020.

RockAuto has a few options. Here's one: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1191687

Your local auto parts store may have one in stock as well.

8. GeoJoe

GeoJoe Member

Big thanks 3van!

I've sourced a used resistor from G&R ($10!) and hope it works.

Sucks that the images are missing from this zombie thread- but still think that I can follow along for the replacement. If anyone can confirm that these are the correct steps, I'd be even more thankful.

I'll report back on my attempts.

9. GeoJoe

GeoJoe Member

....and reporting back on one of the most frustrating failed installs of any component I've ever tried to replace on any vehicle I've ever owned. Do not remove the instrument bezel at any cost unless you absolutely have to.

The instrumental panel has two power cords that are tricky to unhook with limited space. Yet the worst part is the incredibly short cable needed to run the speedometer. I followed the steps above, yet got stumped by the defrost vent, as I didn't see any way to unscrew this from the top. There are two screws holding it in, but both are reverse facing and unable to reach them from within the bezel location. Even if the defrost was removed, I still can't see how the F you can reach into the depths of this dash to remove a couple more screws and insert this card that looks like something from a 1990's flash card.

So I gave up and tried to reverse the entire process, and re-hook it all up. Got the two electric cables and harnesses back in, but that damn speedometer cable to the bezel connection required a new hand / arm / wrist contortion I've never performed before. You have to hold and push the cable from behind while at the same time push the bezel back into place, feeling your way without sight and hoping that you are hitting the required male to female connection.

For now I will concede to have only blowing the fan at high 3. As long as it's all back together with speedometer too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    Drain likes this.
  10. 3van

3van New Member

That's a bummer. I went back and re-read my comment from when I replaced mine. I only did steps 2 & 3 from the first post.

I remember it being tight on the driver's side behind the center console. Find the big circular plastic piece and go to the top of it and find a couple of bolts. But your picture of the hose jogs my memory that I unhooked that by just about dislocating my arm.

Here's an isometric drawing from a parts site that you may find useful (part 72226): https://jp-carparts.com/subaru/part...baseid=F52000&type=T11&cartype=007&fig_id=721

(I've also taken the gauge cluster out for other reasons... I feel your pain.)

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help you out!

11. JayCee

JayCee New Member

Having just used this thread to service my blower resistor I figured I'd add my experiences here. You will need a 10mm socket on an extension and a right angle Philips.
    1: Remove the defrost duct, there's one 10mm bolt holding it in fairly high up (gently tighten when reinstalling) and then pop it off at the bottom, it'll slide out.

2: remove the connector from the resistor (optional). In my case it was really stuck on there so it was helpful to leave the resistor screwed in while taking the connector off.

3: using your right angle Philips take out the two screws holding the resistor in place and slide it out and either replace or repair the resistor. It's important to note that these resistors apparently have a little solder bridge on one side to act as a thermal fuse, I repaired mine but your mileage may vary.

4: when reassembling I found it helpful to put the resistor back on it's connector before reinstalling it in the truck but I don't think this is strictly necessary!

Hope this helps someone!