1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subaru confusion....

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by franck2cv, Feb 23, 2009.

1. franck2cv

franck2cv Member

Hi all,

As it seems the best van for us is the Subaru - based on information found on this very forum AND what we expect for our daily usage - I ought to concentrate on finding as much information as possible about those little cuties!

First, Does anybody know a dedicated website for the Suby? Not necessarely a commercial one but more like a 'fanatic owner' type of website?

I'm a bit confused with model year and specs. I found the Subaru can have 3 and 4 cylinders...... 650cc or even 1200!!! the later found on a French version called 'Vanille'
    Turbo and naturally aspirated, not to mention the gear boxes...... Auto 3 or 4 speeds, Manual: 4, 5 or even 6 (or so called 'super low').

Cooling: The Subaru has its Rad on its front nose with inlet located on the lower body section or 'bumper', correct? .... Now, the VW conversion I've seen pictures of do not have anything on their nose that'd let the air in!.... Strange, isn'it?

Right now, I'm on the stage of 'potential purchase contemplation' where everything is allowed in terms of dreaming or wishing; So here are below my ideal Sambar's spec. Could someone tell me if this realistic and what model year would this be?

Subaru Sambar VAN
    4 captain seats with seat belts on all (!!)
    Dual sliding Doors
    Glass moon roof
    Turbo charged fuel injected engine
    Manual Transmission - 6sp (??)
    'On demand' 4WD
    Powered Doors, windows, Steering

Many thanks

Franck

2. wainair

wainair Member

As far as english sambar sites this is the only one. I know There are lots of Suby sites but they focus on the wrx crowd and not the JDM vans and trucks. The Sambar (KV4) is a 4 cylinder 660cc motor( Some web-dealers falsely list it as 3 as all other kei trucks are 3 cylinder). In Europe they sell the Sambar under a few different names, I know in Germany it is the Libero, and they have 1100cc engines I believe. The engine is the same it just has a larger displacement. I don't know much about the vans to be honest but I'm pretty sure you can get the KV4 as a 660cc supercharged 4WD 5speed +EL. I don't know about the seating options.The moon roof options for sure! That is the motor/tranny combo all the Sambar truck guys lust over, myself included. Good luck in you search, you've started out in the right place!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  3. franck2cv

franck2cv Member

Thank you wainair! Much appreciated.
    F.

4. misterturbo

misterturbo Member

Japanese Sambar van's are all 4 cyl 660cc using the Clover4 engine.. Can be had carbeurated or fuel injected with supercharger, no turbocharger for Subaru.

Transmissions are either the automatic (E-CVT transmission) or the 5+EL manual transmission. The vans are full time 4WD (always 4WD) or you can get them 2WD.

Assuming you don't have the cargo version which has the rear bench, you get 4 captain seats.. Seat belts for the rear are not there from the factory, you will have to retrofit them in..

Dual sliding doors are standard, most have AC and some have power steering (electric) and power windows. Moon roof is optional. 12" wheels are standard.

I import these microvans and I only import Mitsubishi Bravos and Subaru Sambars because of all the neat features they have.

5. franck2cv

franck2cv Member

Thank you :) I had a look at your website and it says that Subaru can be supercharged (Dias)??
    Seatbelt: The anchor points are there I guess.
    Could the belts be sourced easily?
    Any information on the 'classic' version?

6. misterturbo

misterturbo Member

There are no anchor points that I can see, but they can be retrofitted easily by anyone.. Maybe there are anchor points, as there was a European version of the Sambar called the Libero which had seatbelts.. I just use lap belts when putting belts in. Yes supercharged with FI engine is an option for the Sambar and the DIAS classic was made 1994 onwards so its not acceptable into Canada unless you get proof from the manufacturer of the build date.

7. franck2cv

franck2cv Member

That's what i thought about the seatbelt. Same vehicle, different market. I don't think they bothered to alter the manufacturing of the shell.
    1994 YM are 15 years old this year, so it shouldn't be a problem for Canada import. Thouh it seems that I'll have more matching vehicles in a year or two.
    Oh and I looked at the Mitsu Bravos as well. They're nice too but there's something special about the suby that makes it more attractive. Any preference on your side?

8. PDQ VW

PDQ VW New Member

This is the exact kind of info I'm looking for to--pretty much the same 'wants'--thanks!
    I'm going to bookmark this thread.

9. franck2cv

franck2cv Member

Oh Cool.... I don't feel so lonely!! Looks like there's a need for Mini-Micro van related information. I wonder if a van dedicated area on this forum would be a good idea. Trucks are great but.... I don't need larger wheels, dif-lock, body lift and all the lot to haul two adults, a toddler and gears around town + occasional highway journey.

Where are you based by the way?

Franck

10. PDQ VW

PDQ VW New Member

Hi Franck

I'm just west of Toronto and in the research stages --very exciting and great fun.
    This site I found shows some of the models not just trucks-click around :
    http://www.minitruck.ca/makes_models.cfm

Just think of all the room we could have in out driveways for taking shots (street hockey) if we had these little vans! :cool::D

I have 3 kids and a husband so I'm one man down if we are to go anywhere as a family so I'm kinda struggling with a 4 seater :( I might start checking out the Delicas now--but man I'm in love with the rear Clover 4 engine layout of the Sambar! (sandbar haha)

11. franck2cv

franck2cv Member

Yes! I love them too. As per Passenger number, you cold go to the Libero which offers more seat..... 6 I think! Here is a picture:
    http://www.autowp.ru/pictures/subaru/libero/autowp.ru_subaru_libero_4.jpg

According to this forum, it's basically the same vehicle but with a bigger engine and bigger bumper.... and more seats! Might be an option against the Delica (nice too but not so small!)

I never thought of the stree hockey....:) I was actually thinking of freeing up some space for the bikes and 'Chariot'..... A Sambar occupies the same floor space as a Fiat 500 (the 50's classic one)... unbelievable!

Franck

12. Skaminski

Skaminski New Member

View attachment 14035
    New to the group! :) I'm in Edmonton, have a 1990 KV4 / 5 speed manual / Supercharged / EFI Van I am getting ready! Posted a quick photo... Love reading this sights threads! Trying to learn as much as I can. Looking for local as in Alberta or close by Van owners to ask questions of etc.
    Shawn

13. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

Welcome! You should probably re-post this in the "General"->"Introductions" part of the forum.

I'm in the Edmonton area, with a 1990 KS4 / 5 speed manual / Supercharged / EFI truck. I haven't seen many vans around at all.

14. Skaminski

Skaminski New Member

Thanks! :)