1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stalling Problem on Electronic Ignition

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by johnwscooking, Oct 23, 2009.

1. johnwscooking

johnwscooking New Member

Hi!

I have a 1991 Subaru Van MPFI Supercharger, that I have just bought
    about a month ago. Ive driven it around town and one long trip and had just one problem. It will not sit and idle for long, if you start it let it sit it will
    stop after about 5 min. If you start it and drive it it will run okay until you
    come to a light some times it will be okay sometimes it will stall.

In most cases when it stalls it wont start up again until it sits for 15 min.
    Ive checked it and have found that it is the spark that Quits and not a fuel
    problem. It has an Electronic ignition. could it be the coil? Why doesnt
    it quit at high speed, just at idle.

you guys are great I know you can help!

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

could be a problem with one or more of the plug wires,cap,rotor,or plugs themselves..revving makes it seem smoother because it's firing more often...idle air bypass could be clogged or inoperative..vacuum leak possible

3. starpuss

starpuss Member

change the coil. coils will do that when they are bad.

4. johnwscooking

johnwscooking New Member

To add info to my post. I am sure that it is an electrical problem because
    I can reproduce it every time at will. I just start it up and let it idle and after
    5 min it will stall BUT will not start again until it sits for 15 min. The I'm sure its
    electrical comes from the fact that when I'm doing this stall test, Ive hooked up
    an old strobe timing light that works off the spark only, and after it stalls the
    spark is gone as shown by the strobe. On tuesday I will be changing the cap
    and wires the plugs look great. Im not sure about where to get a coil or pickup.

Thanks for the info on the parts book, that will be a big help.

John

5. starpuss

starpuss Member

if i am right if your pickup is bad it will not run at all. i say try a coil first

6. Due to the high RPM's these engine spin at coils go bad on average 80,000 to 120,000 kilometers. Pickup units get extremly hot in Subaru's due to the lack of air cooling in the rear engine compartment. Yes, I would change the coil out first but nothing worse than finding out thats not the only problem and then having to wait on ordering more parts. Heat takes it toll on electronics. We have the coils used for $65 and distributors rebuilt for supercharged engines at $135.

Cheers,
    Don

7. starpuss

starpuss Member

Go to your local auto junk yard and pay the 5-10 bucks they would want for a used coil and give it a try. Is your coil a 2 wire?> if so most coils from all cars will work on yours.

8. johnwscooking

johnwscooking New Member

Thats just what I did, I got an old coil from the local yard, hooked it up and POOF
    the stalling problem is gone. Just in time cause winter is gonna come any day now
    and I need my Subaru for work.

Thanks! everyone for all your help, it was much appreciated.

Johnwscooking:)

9. migzz

migzz New Member

same symptom as mine the only difference is that i have my engine light come on. took us awhile to diagnose the camshaft sensor problem. when the sensor gets hot... it sends the wrong signal to the PCM/ECU making the engine out of timing, thus shutting it off.