1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine warmer

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Stormin, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Stormin

Stormin Member

I am wondering if anyone has had any success with installing a block heater or in-line heater. My truck starts OK till about -25C (-13F) colder than that and it is pretty hard to start. I am running 5w30 oil. I have installed an in-line heater in the coolant line going to the top of the motor which has the right angle to allow the hot water from the heater to rise. Also this hose does not have the thermostat in it, the thermostat is in the lower rad hose (unlike domestic vehicles). The problem with this set up is the coolant does not circulate, I thought it would go through a bypass and circulate the coolant. I guess the bypass only works when the water pump is running. The other problem is that the housing where the upper rad hose connects to also houses some sensors. So when I plug in the in-line heater the coolant gets hot and when I try and start my truck the fuel injection does not put enough gas into the intake, the computer thinks that the motor is hot because the sensors in the coolant are hot. At least that is my theory!! I have read in a mitsubishi thread that there are thermostats available that have a built in bypass. Does anyone know of something like that for a Subaru?

I have not taken the time to see if there are frost plugs in the block. If there are I could install a regular block heater. I have also tried a magnetic heater on the oil pan, did nothing as it was only a 200 watt heater. Will check if there are bigger ones available. I have read other posts about block heaters but could not find them now. I am just wondering if anyone has had any sucess installing a heater or has any suggestions that I have not tried yet!!

Attached Files:

2. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

i put a magnetic oil pan heater on. its okay but i would really like a block heater. also my dad speaks of an oil stick heater that works amazingly well, but apparently they dont sell them in canada anymore..

3. speedy67

speedy67 Member

Stuff: Canadian Tire sells a stick-on heater for oil pans. I'm sure Harbor Freight or Tractor supply in the US do as well. I put a 125 Watt one on my Mitsubishi. I have a 250 Watt on my Duramax, a 125 on the allison tranny pan, Put 500's on my Mack trucks. 1000's on the hydraulic tanks of the loaders.

I've used these type for years.... started with 'Wolverine' brand, now there are lots of knock-off's out there, all pretty decent quality.

4. Stormin

Stormin Member

So with the oil heaters is there a chance of burning the oil if the wattage is to high on the heater? I am also wondering if the magnetic one I tried was functioning at all.

5. speedy67

speedy67 Member

With these stick-on pan heaters, as the wattage goes up, so does thearea of the pad. the heat density isn't enough to degrade the oil, unless there is only a 'skim' if it in the pan, then it would likely burn the pad up and short out before doing any harm to the oil.

The magnetic heaters don't have a very high efficiency as the don't have good contact with the pan. thae are 'better than nothing', but not by much, IMO.

6. Tinytoy

Tinytoy Member

polarpad 125w $99
    polarpad 250w $119
    crappytire has both in stock you just have to find someone who knows what the heck they are:frustration:

7. Stuff99

Speedy, that is what I had bought, and was about to put on till my father came to the shop and saw what i was doing and went balistic on me for it. "that pice of sh#%@ wont do #%@ all on it! stop wasting your money!" then he went and got the magnetic heater and i got to waste my whole day off watching him fool around with it...

also my oil pan is not a flat surface one. lots of ridges and stuff. i got pics somewhere.

8. speedy67

speedy67 Member

You can put it on the side. As long as it's below the natural oil level. It's not quite as efficient, but it still works. Try the Wolverine site, they have different dimensions and wattages available: http://www.wolverineheater.com/products.shtml

9. Stuff99

the 9.1 model is exactly what i bought actually.

whole oil pan is ridged. not a good spot to put it on actually.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  10. Stormin

Stormin Member

What wattage is the oil pan heater you put on? Does it work well? I am also trying to find a tank heater with a circulating pump small enough. These mount in the heater line and are used on tractors, the one I saw was 1500 watt, way to big for what I need. The guy I talked to says you can plug one of these in for 1/2 an hour and start up the tractor no problem. I would like to find a 500 watt one. Also by putting it in the heater line I should not have a problem with fuel injection sensors!!

11. RegentYeti

RegentYeti New Member

I just bought one of the 125W stick-on pads for my 1993 Suzuki Carry, but I can't find the oil pan! Is it underneath the engine block and I'm just missing it somehow? Or maybe behind something?

12. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

The oil pan will be where the oil drain plug is.

13. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

your engine is tilted .. follow your dipstick tube to it

14. RegentYeti

RegentYeti New Member

Thanks! I'm not sure I would have thought of that. Heater installed (on the street and in -25c weather), now hopefully it works out.

15. Stuff99

the one i have and the way my oil pan is doesnt work very well. better then nothing but i would so trade for a dip stick heater. but.... id rather have it driving first lol

16. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

I had trouble starting my truck with the lawn and garden battery that came with it... but ever since I put the battery box and regular car battery on it I haven't run into temps cold enough to keep him from cranking right up. Two pumps on the gas and after he turns over twice VROOM! :)

17. Jessf

Jessf Member

Is there a link to this full sized battery modification?

18. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

I just took a marine battery box, cut off most of the stock mounting plate with an angle grinder, put a standard battery out of my old Honda Civic in the box, hooked up the power leads, put the lid on and strapped it to the frame. Took me all of 45 minutes... I don't have pics of the process online (I might have a few on my camera I forget if I took any or not...) but here's the finished product:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  19. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

I was able fit a larger battery by measuring it out and then going to Canadian Tire and getting the biggest one I could find.

It doesn't quite fit (it's at a slight angle, and sticks out to the front slightly) but is wedged in there and clamped in by the cover as well. I had to put a 1"thick piece of wood under the battery so the terminals wouldn't hit the top of the battery box.

Starting is no problem, and it got even better when I switched to synthetic oil. I'll try and find what size battery I used in it and post that.

20. goldstar

goldstar Member

Engine heater

Hi Stormin.
    In 35 years as a mechanic I've seen and used almost every type of engine heater that there is to get big iron started in the cold.
    The magnetic ones are bulky and only work when mounted to a flat area on the pan and poorly at that. If the pan is aluminum, attaching it sucks.
    The Wolverine style are OK for warming the engine oil but need to be installed flush to the bottom of the pan as well. You can apply a "filler" product between the ridges on the pan to create a flat surface to conduct the heat and, when cured, the heating pad can be applied to the flat surface with a silicone product.
    This still doesn't address the engine block and internals however, which is still pretty damn cold and the reason for the engine heater in the first place.
    For your application I would recommend a TEMRO circulating block heater and install it in the lower rad hose. The more vertical you can install it the better it is able to circulate warm coolant throughout the engine. The heater is available from Gregg Distributing in Saskatoon - Part# 320-0001 ( 1", 375watt, 120v ).
    I have one on my 1990 660 Carry with only a good quality lawn and garden battery and at -30 it starts instantly and warms up quickly. Unfortunately, at that temp, you'll still have to hold the clutch in because the transmission oil is thick as hell. Can't cover all the bases!
    The ultimate cold weather starting insurance is the circulating heater, the pan heater and synthetic fluids.
    Hope this helps.

21. Stormin

Stormin Member

I tried a different in-line heater before I read Goldstar's reply but it was also too powerfull, fuel injection system did not deliver enough fuel for a cold start (had to step on the gas to flood the motor too start). So I removed both inline heaters and purchased a new 200 watt magnetic style. The one I tried earlier must of been malfunctioning because this one actually makes a difference. The 375 watt in-line heater that Goldstar mentions sounds like it would be small enough not to heat the anti-freeze too much. Will have to try that one. Hopefully it warms up soon and we don't have to worry about plugging in vehicles (at least not till next fall!!).

22. Stuff99

i still want to find a dip stick heater for my liteace. cant buy them in canada anymore apparently...

23. speedy67

speedy67 Member

My Mitsubishi fired right away on ether!! :rolleyes:

But battery cranking capacity is a big issue in the cold. :confused: