1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SanFu truck parts

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by sanfuman, Jan 23, 2010.

1. sanfuman

sanfuman New Member

Hi, I just bought a mini truck (my first). All I know is that it's a SanFu and it has a 600cc 2 cylinder engine in it (4 cycle). The cylinder head faces backwards and sits just over the top of the exhaust. My first question, is the engine a Subaru and how can I tell? My second question is does any body know where I can get a repair manual for that engine. I think it's an early 1990's. But have no way of telling.

I understand they didn't import many of these so any help on the parts side would be a great.

2. draggbody

draggbody Member

pics would be great...

3. slimbad

slimbad Member

4. draggbody

draggbody Member

that thread says it has a motorcycle engine and a kick start, but there are still no pics...

5. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Dont mean to spoke you. I might be as wet as a wet hen but honestly, I'd run from that one. Ive had a lot of different makes of mini vehicles go though my hands and this is the fist for me on this one.

6. I agree! We seem to get at least one call a week about someone who bought what I call a Chinese paperweight. It is amazing. No one can get parts for these products and some are only two-three years old.

Bob

7. slimbad

slimbad Member

Did a little research and came up with the following. Note: this is my interpretation of tid-bits from several sites.

The SanFu is actually the Japanese export version of the 3rd gen Subaru Sambar (1977-1982), it was badged the Subaru 600.

An unknown # of these were imported by the Taiwanese Co. SanFu Industries. Some were converted to propane and were known as "SanFu LPG600". The SanFu Industries was heavy into industrial gas production (maybe these were converted to propane for warehouse/plant work - just guessing here).

A guy named Steve Bales (of Bales International Corp, of Austin, Tx) imported some of these and some wore "BIC" on there front grill. Then under the Jet Industries name the engines were removed and these were converted to electric vehicles, and they were badged "Jet EletraVan 600".

Anyway, you prob will have a helluva time getting parts for the engine (like T&H and Gung Ho mentioned).

If you would like further info start searching for "Jet ElectraVan 600" that would put you in company of peeps that prob have more info. Hope this helps........later, slim

8. sanfuman

sanfuman New Member

Well, been doing a lot of work on the truck. Made a new clutch cable.. then found out the clutch is worn down to the rivets, had the clutch rebuilt. The engine runs amazing. I adjusted the valves and points. Thanks to the tune up sticker still attached to the rear bumper.
    I did a little more research and found out the engine is a 544cc Subaru engine. It came in early Subaru cars like the sherpa, ace, mini jumbo, and rex. I bought a second truck that a neighbor had sitting in his garage for 10 years for $300 which was previously owned by the state and used for a maintenence vehicle. I'm keeping a record of the part numbers that I locate to help others out. This is what I got so far

Front wheel bearing with race = Inner BR30205 (Napa), Outer BR30204 (Napa).

Brake shoes front and rear = Had a local shop put new friction material on.

Clutch Kit = (Exedy) Full kit P/N FJK2003. Individual parts, pressure plate (Exedy) FJC505, clutch disc (Exedy) FJD002. I didn't have any luck talking to exedy in the UK or US they basically said call a local dealer which never worked, although they said the clutch was still available but was not sold as a kit anymore. Worldpac and Imc parts had nothing that matched. I had a local shop rebuild the clutch disc for $65 which worked really well.

I found 1 engine rebuild kit from all of the mini truck dealers that I emailed. Which will be no longer available because I'm buying it tomorrow. I hope this helped somebody, I will continue making a part # list and repost when I can. Thanks guys.

9. brett

brett New Member

Sanfuman have you found other parts for your truck? I just picked up one for free that seems to run good but overall it is a beater. any help for parts would be great.

10. zardoz

zardoz Member

This cracks me up....

" Thanks, Apeweek!
    We now realize more about just how rare the one we have is!
    Extensive search showed us that our carburetor is a one of a kind,
    made just for these engines.
    Now we are "holding off" on advertising it for sale.
    After having several well known " collectors" tell us that we
    are "sitting on a mint", we are just biding our time for the right
    bid! "

Sitting on a mint? Really? C'mon.... REALLY? :rolleyes:

It's odd how some folks place value on something as simple as a little truck, now don't get me wrong... I'm sure its a perfectly nice little truck... but a mint? Just sayin...

z

11. JT Lick

JT Lick New Member

I know this post is pretty old.... I just picked one of these up. I cant find any info on it, besides sanfu on the inside dash and lights. It has doors, and runs fine, i wanted to put some ATV tires on it but with that brake drum and that wide 4 bolt hub im not sure its even possible. Do they make a hub replacement that would fit? Im not Sure what to even do with this thing, seems like its in good shape!

12. Mini mack

Mini mack New Member

Anyone, I just got one of these "82" sanfu badge on the front, Subaru seat belts, Subaru windshield, unknown motor. I believe it to be a made in Taiwan, sanfu motor, gas burner, left hand drive, 4 speed,rear wheel drive. Any recent chatter about any of these and parts Dimensions I'm looking for a timing belt.

13. Dezrik

Dezrik New Member

The Sanfu is a PAPER Weight, They DO Not share the same parts as a Rex, Jumbo, Ace or Sherpa! The EK23 motor in the sanfu is dimensionally different then the ones found in those vehicles. I happen to be parting one of these Sanfus out, If someone needed parts.