1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The final governer thread...

Discussion in 'References' started by USNavy, Feb 24, 2010.

1. jethro99

jethro99 New Member

In post #23 I have the way to hook up the wires. Heres how mine looked. coil2.jpg

2. jay17

jay17 New Member

Thanks for the pic I have the igniter with 3 green connectors and having hard time finding the one you have so I think I found a MSD 6A box for $80 so i might go that route

3. jay17

jay17 New Member

this is Jason again I bought a MSD 6A box today and I started with taking the computer box out beside the washer tank then I took coil off truck then mounted a tayota coil on to frame then ran the msd mag picup wires to disributor red wire to green and green to purple then hooked orange+ and black- wire to coil then hooked the big red wire to + to battery and big Black wire to -on battery then I just ran a jumper wire to the small red wire the goes to switch power to battery just to see if every thing worked it started up fine except some times the motor acts like it is a tooth of on the distibutor but I have not took the dis out and other times it starts just fine so that's got me stumped the I took it up the road and it would get up to speed the act like it ran out of gas or something but it will start right back up and every time you get up to speed it would cut out I have not messed with any fuel pump wiring or nothing just the disributor wiring Another thing I noticed is with the jumper wire hook up to the wire that goes to switch power to battery I can still cut the truck off with the key or I can cut it off by unhooking the jumper wire from the battery any Idea about why it will cut off with the key too? Anybody have any ideas?

4. jwesley74

jwesley74 New Member

Thank you to everyone on this forum. I was able to use your suggestions and simplified the process. No need for an expensive Toyota Igniter or even change the coil. I attached pictures of what I did. I bought an ignition module for a 1978 Ford Pinto from Autozone for $28. It's simply a duraspark ignitor. I pulled the cushman module out and unplugged the factory harness (3 plugs) and cut the harness of at the cushman module. I then used 5 butt connectors and wired up in the following sequence:

Ignition Module Purple to Harness Red
    Ignition Module Orange to Harness Green
    Ignition Module Black to harness black
    Ignition Module Red to harness purple
    Ignition Module Green to harness white

I plugged the harness back in and governor eliminated. Runs wide open, no gov light comes on. I can run up to 40 MPH in 3rd. I still need to liberate 4th & 5th gear.

I left the factory (cushman) coil and literally just changed the module only. Even better it took all of 20 minutes to do this for $28 and it even goes back into the same spot the cushman module was located and I used 1 screw to screw it to the same location.

Enjoy the pics! Easier & cheaper fix than I thought.

View attachment 13187 View attachment 13188 View attachment 13189 View attachment 13190 View attachment 13191 View attachment 13192 View attachment 13193 View attachment 13194

5. jwesley74

jwesley74 New Member

Thank you to everyone on this forum. I was able to use your suggestions and simplified the process. No need for an expensive Toyota Igniter or even change the coil. I attached pictures of what I did. I bought an ignition module for a 1978 Ford Pinto from Autozone for $28. It's simply a duraspark ignitor. I pulled the cushman module out and unplugged the factory harness (3 plugs) and cut the harness of at the cushman module. I then used 5 butt connectors and wired up in the following sequence:

Ignition Module Purple to Harness Red
    Ignition Module Orange to Harness Green
    Ignition Module Black to harness black
    Ignition Module Red to harness purple
    Ignition Module Green to harness white

I plugged the harness back in and governor eliminated. Runs wide open, no gov light comes on. I can run up to 40 MPH in 3rd. I still need to liberate 4th & 5th gear.

I left the factory (cushman) coil and literally just changed the module only. Even better it took all of 20 minutes to do this for $28 and it even goes back into the same spot the cushman module was located and I used 1 screw to screw it to the same location.

Enjoy the pics! Easier & cheaper fix than I thought. View attachment 13195 View attachment 13196 View attachment 13197 View attachment 13198 View attachment 13199 View attachment 13200 View attachment 13201 View attachment 13202

6. a_cmc_2b

a_cmc_2b New Member

I know this may not be the right thread, but since y'all are working on the ignition I need a Part Number for the Distributor Cap that is on a 4 Cylinder Engine in a Cushman "The White Truck". I'm not sure of the year as I don not know where or how to find that info. It does have a Distributor with the following Numbers - A4T4C71174 and I think this is the number above that one CW721840. Also any ideas on what the engine is in my Cushman? Thanks Fellows... If this information is already posted here in another thread just let me know where... Thanks Y'all!!!! View attachment 13230

7. Pepegrande008

Pepegrande008 New Member

So i would like to revive this thread. Jwesley, do you still have pics? The old ones don't work anymore

8. Pepegrande008

Pepegrande008 New Member

Can anyone confirm that this works? My ICM is bad and I don't want/cant find a replacement. My ICM has 10 wires coming out of it (2 for gov). I would really like to figure this out because running for 15 min then having to wait 15 min, is really annoying.

9. tfent

tfent New Member

gov fix

Followed the recent post by jwesley74 and plan to do the same. Couldn't get the pics to view. Any help here? Thanks. Also plan to un-block 4th &5th gears. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

10. techjap

techjap New Member

Thank you jwesley74!! It works great!!!

I couldn't get his pics to load either but I just followed his instructions. I went to AutoZone and asked for a Duraspark brand Igntion Control Module for a 1978 Ford Pinto and they kinda laughed at the request. Who still has a Ford Pinto?! They didn't have a Duraspark one but they did have 2 different ones -- one was about $34 (1 year warranty) and the other was about $38+tax (lifetime warranty), both in-stock suprisingly! The 2 looked very similar but more importantly they were identical as far as wiring harness colors. I bought the lifetime warranty one but either should work fine. My Cushman ICM didn't have a wiring harness that could be unplugged as it was hard wired into it so I just cut all the wires off and crimped on some insulated female terminal connectors (14/16 gauge wire) so that I could just plug into the new ICM and as a bonus since I didn't cut the new ICM wires if the ICM ever craps out I can take it back to AutoZone and use my lifetime warranty to get another one for free! I plugged my freshly crimped connectors into the new ICM following jwesley74's wiring colors, took a deep breath and fired it up -- NO MORE GOVERNOR! I think I had like 3 extra wires left over that went to the old ICM, so I just put some electrical tape on them for now. I wonder what they go to?? The new ICM was quite a bit larger but it still fit in the space used for the original. I couldn't get the screw holes to line up so I kinda wedged it in place for now. Will drill a couple new holes later.

Thanks again jwesley74!!! You are the man! My Cushman runs so much better now! Now if I could just get 4th and 5th gears unblocked!

11. Kevin Gravitt

Kevin Gravitt New Member

12. Kevin Gravitt

Kevin Gravitt New Member

I tried to reply to the post made by jwesley74 it didn't work out so well...(new to forums!) and I do know it's kind of an old forum but I had to post this here in case anyone else runs into the same problem I had.

I tried the pinto ignition module, it worked as stated, I used the original coil and the governor is bypassed!!!

However I had to hook the white wire from the module to the brown wire on the cushman harness, it took me a few days to figure this one out. I found the pinto wiring schematics and it all came together for me. I don't know if I missed something said earlier or if mine is a little different than others but the brown wire is a keyed power. I didn't have spark until I hooked that up.

Other than that all other wires are hooked as stated. And it may help others to say there is a blue and a yellow wire from the cushman harness not hooked to anything, I just put a wire nut and tape on them.

13. Aaron Burke

Aaron Burke New Member