Click to view all our sponsors
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PROPANE conversion... LPG carburetor bolt on kit...

Default PROPANE conversion... LPG carburetor bolt on kit...

well i have been talking about this for some time and its here.. all of the bugs are worked out and i am super pleased w/ the results... we had a autozam, same as suzuki for those that are unfamiliar, that ran AWFUL... rebuilt the carb, put fuel filters, plugs, wires, caps, rotors, adjusted timing, chokes, idle, you name it, we fiddled w/ it... bottom line, the carb sucked and there was no way to figure out why... so, i converted it to something that i know about, could buy parts for and had the ability to adjust all parameters... so, here it is, a bolt on kit for dd51t/dk51t...

the performance is phenominal, im talking night and day difference, i have several of these trucks and this one is by far the most driveable, perfect low idle, perfect performance at all rpm's and i havent even set the air/ fuel mixture yet or bumped up the timing... its just out of the box and bolted on...

here is the install...

stock engine compartment, from the drivers seat area...

from the driver side bed access...

with the carb removed, hook these lines together using the stock hose and clamp...

rear shot w/o carb...

more pics tommorrow, none of the pics turned out...
    Last edited by draggbody; 04-01-2010 at 08:59 PM.

this shows the fully installed unit... comes w/ a K&N filter for the carb and crankcase breather... you can see the plug that was reused that is discussed a little later...

this is the modified carb, port for ignition advance and the stock cable hooks right up...

this is the lockoff and vaporizer, the lock off shuts the fuel off when the key is off, it wires into the plug that goes to the factory carb, just clip the wires and crimp it on... there is no positive or negative so it doesnt matter where you hook them up... the coolant lines tha are on the back of the engine hook up to the vaporizer to keep it from freezing up...

the tank brackets installed in the bed... just disconnect the line and slide the access off to work on the engine...

Last edited by draggbody; 04-02-2010 at 12:12 PM.

for more pics...

Quote Originally Posted by draggbody View Post
    well i have been talking about this for some time and its here.. all of the bugs are worked out and i am super pleased w/ the results... we had a autozam, same as suzuki for those that are unfamiliar, that ran AWFUL... rebuilt the carb, put fuel filters, plugs, wires, caps, rotors, adjusted timing, chokes, idle, you name it, we fiddled w/ it... bottom line, the carb sucked and there was no way to figure out why... so, i converted it to something that i know about, could buy parts for and had the ability to adjust all parameters... so, here it is, a bolt on kit for dd51t/dk51t...

the performance is phenominal, im talking night and day difference, i have several of these trucks and this one is by far the most driveable, perfect low idle, perfect performance at all rpm's and i havent even set the air/ fuel mixture yet or bumped up the timing... its just out of the box and bolted on...

here is the install...

stock engine compartment, from the drivers seat area...

from the driver side bed access...

with the carb removed, hook these lines together using the stock hose and clamp...

rear shot w/o carb...

more pics tommorrow, none of the pics turned out...
    Real interested how this works for you, I am in the retail propane business and would love this for my 99 suzuki carry. Maybe could be a parade unit for us. My 99 is EFI, so might be some issues.

man, if you have efi, leave it... i couldnt imagine trying to work out the ignition on that conversion...

I am in a different position than most folks. I have 200,000 gallons of LP at my fingertips so getting the product isn't an issue for me. LP as an alternative to gasoline? Absolutely! We have all our pickups converted for LP use. Cleaner burning and engines last forever. I currently drop the oil in my truck every 8000 miles or so and it looks like it came straight from the bottle. The big hang up for use in more vehicles is distribution. Costs for fill stations aren't cheap and the conversions aren't free either. But when LP is 1.70 and gas is 2.90 it doesn't take a lot of miles to pay for itself "if" you have access to the product.

chicken, the drivability is the biggest benefit, availability is really no problem either... find yourself two forklift tanks and any hardware store, rv outlet, retail propane location and alot of gas station fill the tanks, so when one emptys, you swap in the other and then get it filled at your convienience... the tanks are 8 gallons, which is the same as the stock trucks tank... there are gauges on the tanks btw...

my experience w/ propane stems from rock crawling... we use it as an alternative to EFI, because carbs dont work at off angles or when bouncing around... it is much cheaper than EFI as well... a kit like this would go for around $600, and that is for EVERYTHING to install it except the tanks, which cant be shipped unless they are new...

Estevan, Saskatchewan, Canada, North America, Earth.

my van needs whole new system. new lockoff, vaporizer, and mixer. and even some new lines and probably new tanks now. thinking with 212k km on it that ill just go back to gas and it should be a good motor.

nice to see you got that setup nicely. with the little truck its kinda hard to mount the propane tank anywhere else i guess. but if your on a long trip you can take more cylinders with you lol
    SE Saskatchewan, Canada
    1992 Toyota Liteace - Mine
    1992 Subaru Sambar - Dad's

i am building an under bed system for my personal truck, this one belongs to my dad... there is actually room for one of these tanks to fit and it nets more ground clearance than the stock tank...

i suppose i dont even think about the logistics of refueling, because we just use our trucks offroad only, so we are usually not far from a fresh tank...

Estevan, Saskatchewan, Canada, North America, Earth.

ah thats a plenty big enough tank then. the tripple tank in my mini van only allowed me 3 hours highway driving before i had to scramble for a fill station..

excellent work man! should do a startup video of the truck on propane. wondering if it sounds or runs different.
    SE Saskatchewan, Canada
    1992 Toyota Liteace - Mine
    1992 Subaru Sambar - Dad's

Quote Originally Posted by Stuff99 View Post
    ah thats a plenty big enough tank then. the tripple tank in my mini van only allowed me 3 hours highway driving before i had to scramble for a fill station..

excellent work man! should do a startup video of the truck on propane. wondering if it sounds or runs different.
    just smells different...

Nice conversion. I have an 87 Dodge pickup that is a factory propane truck. The cost to run it 600 km to my cabin and back is about the same as in my Carry, (and it has a 318 in it). I plan on converting the Suzuki as well, as we have a dead propane fork lift at work the boss is scrapping. Will keep you posted

i run an 87 F150 with propane. Pushing 400,000 kms no engine work, oil stays clean forever. Have twin tanks underneath & big tank in the bed. Locally, 71c/L vs 1.059/L gasoline, I've driven it 100 miles just to fill both tanks where propane's as low as 42.9/L.
    It's actually a little cheaper to run the F150 vs the Mitsu...
    I don't know why propane never caught on in the US. USed to have a hell of a time travelling there in my propane Bronco and finding refills. Probably because gas is so cheap. In Canada, most taxi fleets have used LPG conversions for decades.

If you could post a parts list with all the part #'s so that we could duplicate this that would be "thuper".

Just by a quick look under my DD51B it looks like you could ditch the spare tire and replace the gas tank with some manifolded twins and have double (maybe even tripple) the fuel capacity. Could cost only 20% more to drive twice as far.

If you want the motor to last about 500,000 kms, propane is the only way to go. Smells nicer too.

Jon.
    Last edited by Little Dumper; 04-06-2010 at 12:42 AM.
    "BANG!!!!!!! Son-of-a.......that's going to leave a mark."- Cris Farley.

'93 Carry Diff/Axel Lock, AC, LD Dump, 4spd, 3" lift with 175/80r13's and 24x8x12's

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dumper View Post
    If you could post a parts list with all the part #'s so that we could duplicate this that would be "thuper".

Just by a quick look under my DD51B it looks like you could ditch the spare tire and replace the gas tank with some manifolded twins and have double (maybe even tripple) the fuel capacity. Could cost only 20% more to drive twice as far.

If you want the motor to last about 500,000 kms, propane is the only way to go. Smells nicer too.

Jon.
    kit would run you $550 w/o tank brackets and $595 with brackets like pictured...