1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transmission leak, only while driving

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by o8k, Apr 5, 2010.

1. o8k

o8k Member

just noticed a transmission leak yesterday dead center of transmission,left side. There is a horizontal seal running the length of the transmission, two vertical bolts in the center mark the spot. I got it home, wiped it clean, came out this morning, no leak. Drove it to work and the leak is back. Must be slight enough that it only leaks when I drive it?

Anyone ever hear of such a thing?

2. packrat

packrat Member

The tranny fluid would be lower than the seam, so while sitting still it wont leak, but when getting thrown around while spinning it is being splashed up to the seam. Make sure the bolts in the area are all tight. There is no gasket in the seam, only a thin bead of sealant. Sounds like maybe there's a spot that was missed. If you clean it right off with brake cleaner or contact cleaner, and then put a little sealant on the outside it may hold. (let it dry completely before driving again). If not, split the tranny or you could live with a little anti rust action.

3. o8k

o8k Member

Thanks for the advice. That makes perfect sense. Good to know that there really isnt a gasket there. Would RTV be the apropriate sealer? I had visions of cracking the tranny open all for a little leak, seemed like a pain. Hope the other stuff works for me =)

4. o8k

o8k Member

I degreased and RTV'ed the place i thought the leak was coming from. Drove it arround, Didnt fix it, then i looked a little harder. Above these two screws (again center of transmission passenger side, kinda hidden behind the starter) and ther is a little shiny hole about 3/8" in diameter. It doesnt look threaded per-say, but has scoring on it like somthing may have been shoved into it. I noticed it before and found it odd that it was so shiny when the rest of the tranny housing was dingy and dirty. I looked at it and it didnt appear to be a "hole" so i ignored it.

Could something have fallen out if that hole (e.g. why its so shiny)? Did my inspection fail, does that hole truely go into the interior? Could that be where its leaking from?

Where is the breather element on this transmission?

5. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

is there a breather in the tranny as there is in the diffs?? maybe you could poke a stiff wire in there to see if it does go into the body of the tranny.

6. o8k

o8k Member

I don't know fupa. My guess is that any time you have gears and what not splashing around in oil, u need a breather. Ccv for engine crank, breather for diffs, and so on. I poked at it a bit this morning and its definitely oily in there but l can say for sure is the back end of the hole is solid. It May dog leg down into the innards tho. ill look closer when I get the chance.

7. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Ya I would assume it's a breather as well....and prob. as you said doesn't come straight out to cut down on oil splashing into the breather hose..

8. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Will this help?

Attached Files:

9. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Or do you mean this hole where mine has a rubber plug.

Attached Files:

• plug.JPG
      plug.JPG
      File size:
      141.6 KB
      Views:
  10. o8k

o8k Member

OMG that helps! Yes!! YES!!! I dont have a plug there. I have a shiny hole!

i think that hole is belching oil. its hard for me to get my head in there to see it well b/c the starter is in the way. I poked at it with the wire and it has a solid back. But it could have a vertical hole off to the side within the depression (dog leg). I didnt want to just plug it till i knew i wasnt plugging the beather.

EDIT: My other thought being, make my own breather from that hole.

This is good news! Thanks Little foot! 2x for the carb vacuum hose ID/OD too. :)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  11. o8k

o8k Member

Ok im all plugged up now (will add pic this weekend). This FIXED my leak. thanks again little foot for the picture.
    you can disregard the wasted RVT you see there.... it was a red herring...
    [​IMG]

Me being me... and i cant let this go... i had to find the actual breather but i cant. The diagram (SEE POST #8) seems to show it south of the fly wheel hole/cap and a bit driver's side. I have solid metal where a hole could possibly be drilled instead.. hrm...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  12. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Mine just has an other rubber plug on top leftside of transmission drivers side. about 2 to 3 inches from speedo cable. No vent pipe like the picture in the book shows!

Last edited: May 11, 2010