1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 1991 Subaru Sambar owner

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by MJYMD, Jul 18, 2010.

1. MJYMD

MJYMD Guest

My first post and my first truck. 1991 Subaru Sambar with 68,542 km. Five speed with push button 4 WD. I'd like any suggestions as to what I should check and do to my new ride to be sure that it's ready to go for Fall hunting season in KY. My first need is an economical battery suggestion since the one it came with is dead. Any USA part #'s for fuel, oil, air filters would also be appreciated. What manuals would you suggest to buy? Any words of wisdom/caution will be welcomed; I feel like a kid at Christmas!!!

2. Coast Steve

Coast Steve Member

A manual would be good, oil and filters change right away too.
    Maybe a fuel filter too,

I put all new brake fluid in mine as well, and flushed the lines all the way to the calipers.

Steve

3. erixun

erixun Member

I think people are using the "autozone" type lawn and garden battery with good results. In my area they are only about $40.00.

I would recommend changing or atleast checking your tranny and diff fluids, flush your coolant system, put in new antifreeze. Generally just go from head to toe getting to know your truck!

And here is the mandatory picture request: post some pics! And Welcome!

4. confuzed

confuzed Member

I have a 90 sambar took measurements to walmart got a real car battery that just fits in box but hold down is not usable but battery can not move. I found that if you look in the radiator resevoir ( under box behind driver) it had road sand in it this was also true of the one the town bought a bad placement picks up sand from front tire. mine became hard to shift (selector did not want to slide side to side) more so in cold weather cables run to rear i took off console for a week each morning spraying a little thin lube on cables and working it ( heavy lube made it worse :frustration:) Not sure if it is just mine or what but my washers keep plugging up dirt in system hard to get out and flush though a small wire (I use a welding tip cleaner) will free it up poked in the outlet had 13' tires on it mostly hyway driving but now on the hunt for more lol traded mine away to keep wife happy traded to the town (i work for them) for a basically new clothes dryer mine packed it in and they were hunting for 13's for thier sambar dump win win 90 dollars worth of tires n rims for a 450 dryer used 6 months hmmm off topic lol oh turn signals mine quit every once in a while, have talked to others same thing my fix turn on hazards turn off hazards turn signals work don't ask me but it works lol must be a japanese thing:D

5. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

i would have found just a similar battery from autozone etc but my father cut his box out and made a full size battery fit in there and changed the cable ends.