1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firefly Struts Work For Hijet

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by zeaky, Aug 11, 2010.

1. zeaky

zeaky New Member

Hi all, I figured I would share my golden find. I own a 1987 (S81P) 4x4 hijet and as all of you know, hijet struts are crap. Other people on this forum have been trying to adapt other vehicles' struts to their hijets to cut costs and gain better ride.

I looked through hundreds of monroe photos of struts and finally settled on a 1987 pontiac firefly set (115 bucks Canadian each). I have a 3 inch lift kit in my truck and figured these struts (which are three inches longer than the stock struts) could replace my front end kit AND provide me with a stiffer ride.

Modifications I had to do: Narrow the bolt spacing by 1mm and grind the heel of the left strut to avoid rubbing the CV shaft.

Problems? Well not to say there weren't any hiccups. If you look in the photo there the CV boot is touching the bottom of the strut (only on the left side of the truck). This may not be the case with all of you as that boot is an oversize after market one that somebody had tossed on there before I owned that drive shaft which I just replaced. However, I don't doubt that everybody will have to grind down the heels of their struts to avoid grinding on the shaft.

One other potential issue that may arise is overextension. Because the strut is able to extend longer than the spring you could have an issue of your coil jumping the next so to speak if you went over serious bumps. One could deal with this 1) put a cable on the system to prevent over extensions. This scenario is actually quite unlikely though as the control arm seems like it can't open up enough to allow for overextension... i.e., the "yaw" of the suspension seems to max out before the coil is completely relaxed with the extra 3" packed in there.

In summary, some people might think the torsion angle of a 3" lift is a little much for your CV's but if you are going that route anyway, you can save hundreds of dollars and just toss in these struts instead of a lift kit. In the end if you were to buy new hijet struts and put in a lift kit you would be paying upwards of $300 bucks per side per strut (minimum) and then also having to buy the lift kit. This way I escaped with a measly ~100 bucks per side and a bit of labour on my part. If you wanted to cut some of the height off the suspension you could always cut the coil an inch shorter and you may get away with it as these struts are deadly tight.

Results: Nice spongy ride... feels like floating, struts fit the coil nicely as well. No more clanking with the struts bottoming out on every pebble on the road. Plus the monroe sensa trac suspension is nice as it responds well under high stress.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
    greg0187 and Acerguy like this.
  2. starpuss

starpuss Member

my dad had a 1987 or 1988 firefly and they look like they will not fit the 1990 hijet but after seeing that you did it on yours maybe ill take mine apart and see if they will work (i have 2 new in box firefly struts so maybe ill give them a try'

3. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Nice find.....:)

4. zeaky

zeaky New Member

Yeah I wouldn't know if they fit the newer trucks... . I just got out the ole measuring tape and made sure everything was at least close enough to have to make very few modifications. My bolt pattern was somewhere close to 55mm and the firefly was around 56 or 57. I just expanded the lower hole upwards a bit to get it to fit. Remember you will come out with 3" of lift... unless you got a kit on the back it might look a little funny.

5. zardoz

zardoz Member

Hmm got me wondering if these struts will fit a suzuki...

Great find!

z

6. zeaky

zeaky New Member

The struts might also fit a mits... I was reading in another thread that a guy was using struts from a mits for a hijet with a few alterations which sounded similar to what I had to do to my struts to get them to fit.

Do keep in mind that a Pontiac Firefly is actually made by Suzuki. The Suzuki version of a Firefly is called a Suzuki Forsa, so I wouldn't doubt that they could fit a Carry.

7. zardoz

zardoz Member

Good to know... I kinda figured since they are the same mother company that they might be compatible (with minor modification).

Now if SuperATV could work out their missfit seal issues... and give us a clear definition of their CV angles ... I might... MIGHT consider lifting my truck a tad.

z

8. j0z3

j0z3 Member

This is a really nice mod
    the leaf springs on the back of my van are really smooth... but when it comes to the front its not even close to smooth.

Im looking forward to make this mod myself.
    Thanks for the info!

9. 71mini

71mini New Member

How was your alignment after the new struts? Does anyone know yet if these will fit newer Hijets?

10. zeaky

zeaky New Member

The alignment needed to be adjusted a little of course. Again, the struts don't really "fit"... and you get three inches of lift... you also have to modify the bolt pattern by a couple millimeters.

11. Crab Spirits

Crab Spirits New Member

FWIW, the firefly is known in the states as the Chevy Sprint or Suzuki Swift/Cultus and is a older sibling to the Metro. Which leads me to believe that Metro parts may be the same. I have some here, I should check.

12. austin72

austin72 New Member

Nice info to know here.

13. jkfind

jkfind New Member

More detail about Firefly Struts . . .

I purchased Monroe 71805 struts (1987 Chevy Sprint/Pontiac Firefly) for $30 each new.
    Zeaky, what spring did you use?
    I bought 2.5 x 10 x 225# Jegs awhile back, but my strut shocks are totally shot - it looks like this Sprint/Firefly strut wants 12".
    Did you use the stock Firefly spring? What is it - ID x length x compression? Also looks like it might be a bear to get the strut back in. Can I use my stock Hijet strut top (minus the 3" extension!)? My Daihatsu is a 92 S83P - any differences there? Jim

14. dpsrmag

dpsrmag Member

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these firefly struts or other type struts on a Dihatsu Hijet S-210P. I need some for the S-210P and the Dihatsu ones seem soft and the price is thru the roof. Oh yea I own 3 of these and this one does already have a 3" lift kit on it.
    Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  15. dpsrmag

dpsrmag Member

UPDATE -

I just spoke with G & R Imports and they now stock after market struts (heavier duty than the OEM struts). They have located a mfg. company overseas that makes these for G & R. These are now $150.00 each where the OEM Daihatsu struts were over $300.00 each and were weak when new. Granted this still isn't a $30.00 fix but I am glad they are trying.

16. Will they work on the S110P?

17. dpsrmag

dpsrmag Member

I think so call G & R Imports and ask for Derick

18. Smurfmobile

Smurfmobile New Member

Point of note folks...I got the original posters truck and just replaced the entire front strut assembly. The firefly struts essentially gave the right lift, but the original springs (which had to be tied to the strut assembly) physically cracked in two and three places respectively. Although this "works," it's not good for the long haul and I'd be leery of taking it on public roads with this mod.

Also, the CV's are pretty much done now as well...perhaps a result of the angle.

So...please be aware that this is really only a bandaid and not an actual fix to your front end problems. I bought a complete set from Minitruck.ca and outside of really big ruts/holes, the front end doesn't bottom out any more. Spend the money and do it right...imho.

Picture of new struts and springs with 2" lift... View attachment 13816

19. charles

charles New Member

I have a '99 model Hijet and am still looking (late 2016) for a cheaper aftermarket or something adaptable for the front struts. Already has 2 inch lift and is 4x4. Any help will be appreciated

20. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Just for info. You might take a look at VW Rabbit struts. Been a long time since I have dealt with them, but they do have a camber adjustment which may be or may not be incorporated into these Kei vehicles.

Fred

21. charles

charles New Member

Thanks Fred, I will try that