1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distributor Nightmare

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by Clarky20, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Clarky20

Clarky20 New Member

I had a 550 motor replaced it with a 660 with electronic distributor it has two wires leaving the distributor one is black with a yellow strip the other is a blue
    one leaving and going to a white wire does any know how wire this distributor up

2. 3banger

3banger Member

Dan has posted the manual for a 550. But I think it's the year that determines whether it's got points or HEI ignition?

There's no doubt you've got electronic ignition but I bet you could use Dan's .pdf to find a diagram for ignition clues.

This could turn into a gnarly discussion if I mention direct fire ignition and MSD boxes.. but if you didn't score any of the ignition stuff (like ignitors) from the 660 you might be forced to put a cool setup in :)

I go look at mine for you but my van's engine is at the machine shop getting rebuilt.

3. Dan

Dan Member

you'll be needing a new ignitor now...MSD, HEI, mopar... many will work.
    those wires are for the trigger/magnet. and the oem ignitor in your mitsu will be wired completely different. it is dependant on two separate signals from the original distributor and is the heart of the governor system. this will lead to a few other complications you'll have. fuel relay will have to be bypassed also. and timing may be an issue. mitsubishi designed a huge amount of retard in their ignitors on the 550's. you may not have the same problem in the 660 but, i had to turn the distributor guts 180 and move wires one tower over, then fab a bracket to hold the distributor in place because correct timing put the locking nut out of range of the housing.

4. Russ

Russ New Member

I've been posting asking if anyone could help me out I can't get any spark and want to wire up an HEI ignition module what do I need to do and how do I wire it up rats have chewed all my wiring to the igniter so I want to do away with it I have already retired the fuel pump have fuel just no spark on my Mitsubishi mini truck . Please help

5. If it was me I would be more worried about the rats if it was me, but if they chewed it up that bad there's no telling what else they chewed up in your ride.

6. Russ

Russ New Member

Not tuo much dump bed and all lights still work went threw put new plugs wires just no spark wish I could get info on HEI conversion to at least give it a try before I scrape it it's a nice little truck solid foam tires 4x4 left hand drive it ran good before it sat two years at deer lease untouched.

7. Dan

Dan Member

Another lefty! Welcome!
    Any of the aftermarket ignitors will work. A gm hei would be simple. Only 4 connectors. 5 wires. And a ground through it's mounting. A pair to the small reluctor wires on the bottom of the distributor and a pair to the coil. One more to the coil pos side from key-on power. You'll need to power the fuel pump separately along with the carb solenoids. Timing will be a challenge next. Stock ignitors on the lefty were a nightmare of governing controls and had a huge amount of retard built-in that you'll have to compensate for. I pulled the distributor out, turned it 180 and put it back on, then moved the wires one tower clockwise. lock it down in it's full clockwise position. It should start. Use a light to tune it in from there. 8 degrees or so is what you're aiming for.

8. Dan

Dan Member

Abandon all other wires from the old igniter! Nothing else should be connected to the coil or the distributor.

9. Russ

Russ New Member

Ok thanks I did that what wires do I wire to the gm hei module it has two wires coming from under distributor can't recall the colors any info or wiring diagram would be much appreciated. I'm new to the mini truck engines I've been a diesel mechanic for 12 years this little truck is different from all I know.

10. Russ

Russ New Member

Thanks I will give it a try as soon as I get off next weekend thanks a lot I already wired up fuel pump didn't know about card relay thanks.

11. Dan

Dan Member

Google ( hei ignition diagram) thousands of simple diagrams will pop up. Pick the one that looks like yours. The two wires on the module at the bottom of the distributor are just trigger wires. They open and close the ignition to the coil, polarity/color won't matter. You'll see in the diagrams that the pair on one side of the hei are for the trigger wires and the opposite pair are to the coil and power.

12. Crespo

Crespo New Member

Any pictures in how to do it

13. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member