1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sloppy Shift Linkage

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by hrcollinsjr, Sep 14, 2010.

1. hrcollinsjr

hrcollinsjr Member

My 5spd is missing bushings below the shifter. Could someone tell me where I could find replacements?

TIA,

Harold

2. anthill

anthill Member

I couldn't find replacement bushings for my Domingo, so I made some out of rolled-up narrow strips of clear plastic (from some bike parts packaging).

I was thinking about getting some nylon bushings off an industrial supply house, but decided not to since they would be too stiff to work. The bushings need to have enough give so that you can rock the shifter left/right.

3. hrcollinsjr

hrcollinsjr Member

It's hard for me to believe Subaru or another Japanese mfg. didn't use these bushings in other models of cars or trucks. Looks like a day of exploring the local Pull-A-Part for answers. :frustration:

Harold

4. hrcollinsjr

hrcollinsjr Member

Solution?

I was determined to find a bronze bushing that would take the extra play out of the shifter mechanism. Local farmers coop/Ace Hdw. didn't have the bushings and I was directed to the plumbing section. I spotted some delring 5/16" compression fittings. These fittings are tapered on one side making them wedge shaped. Bought four @ .28USD/ea. I had to thin out one pair by placing the least tapered side on a piece of sandpaper and swirling it around until the proper thickness could be obtained. I had to thin them by almost 1/2 for the reverse linkage. I did the same thing for the EL thru 5 linkage not thinking that it might be worn differently. :( I had to buy two more bushings and inserted them unmodified one on each side. Long term durability? :pop:

Harold

P.S. I'm having to learn how to shift gears again. I think my learning curve will be quicker this time around though. ;)

5. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

I know lowes and tractor supply carry bronze and steel bushings. Those should hold up well i would think.

6. hrcollinsjr

hrcollinsjr Member

Steel would wear too well, wearing out the other components. Bronze would have been good, but I was having difficulty finding one with the correct dimensions. I had finally decided I would get a bushing that matched the I.D. and cut the O.D. down to match my application when I came across the delrin fittings. Even with my screw up and having to buy 6 instead of 4 it was still cheaper than the bronze bushings I had seen that didn't fit. The fittings were easily modified. :)

I robbed several cars of shifter bushings at the Pull-A-Part last fall and they were all some type of 'plastic', so I think this will last awhile.

Harold