1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sambar van speaker install?

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by jester, Nov 26, 2010.

1. jester

jester New Member

Hi there,

I've had my 93' Sambar Dias for about a month now and plan on changing the horrible front speakers and adding some rears. Has anyone here put rear speakers in to a sambar van before? I did come across pictures of one a guy was selling online, that had rear speakers mounted right behind the little side cubbyholes. Looked like 6" rounds, though could be 6.5"...

Measuring the front existing speakers, it seems they are 4x6.

anyone with any experience putting speakers into a sambar have any advice or info?

2. jester

jester New Member

Well, I got started on the speakers today, doing the fronts. maybe documenting my experience will help someone else.

While the fronts are 4x6, it seems that after-market speakers don't quite line up for install. I bought a pair of Pioneers and none of the screw holes quite line up. Putting on the extra mounting ring the speakers come with also did not line up.

To make them fit I needed to shave around 1/8-1/4 of an inch out of the top of the speaker hole. Then the speakers would slide in fine, but to mount them, the screws couldn't go through the screw holes on the speakers, instead going to the outside of the hole so the head of the screw pushed down over the edge of the mounting. with all 4 screws like that, the speakers are held solidly. It was a little tight getting the covers back over the speakers, but they went on ok and are secure.

3. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

I think the best would be to take the speaker to a car audio dealer and get them to match you up with something.

4. jester

jester New Member

Well, speakers only come in certain sizes. It does take a 4x6 (most of the places I've checked only have 3-4 different types in that size), though as I said the screwholes on the pioneer were off compared to original. They'd maybe show me other brands but not really likely to help much. Maybe 1 of the 4 they carry may have closer screw hole pattern, but they may also cost twice as much (The pioneers were $99 on sale for $48).

in any case, they are in and the sound from them surprised the hell out of me. For two speakers that size, I'm quite impressed.

As for the rear, thats simply a matter of measuring the space available, and I'll get to those once I get a chance to take the back panels off...

5. Solavad

Solavad New Member

I'd be curious about the back. I'm thinking that surface-mount "Cubes" might be the only way to go ... what did you end-up doing?

6. jester

jester New Member

I haven't done the backs yet, but did take a sec to pull one of the side panels open to look, and there is a nice open area in the body that would accommodate a 6 or 6.5" speaker. I didn't pull the panel right off as I was in a hurry, so didn't check for precise mounting, i may need to screw in a piece of something for framework.

I do know they can be mounted here though as I saw pics online of one for sale, where you could get a decent look at where the speakers were placed. Attached pics so you can see.

Hopefully I'll have a bit of time between Christmas and new years to see about installing the speakers I picked up for the back.

Attached Files:

7. DuncVan

DuncVan Member

Thanks for posting the pics. I'm also planning on upgrading the sound system in my van. I replaced the existing radio with a CD player a while ago. I'm going to tackle the speakers once it gets warm again. Winter is not the time for outside electronics if it can be helped - for my hands anyway.

8. Igzabier

Igzabier New Member

Gotta do this as my Sambar is nice and geeky with OEM speakers that are also super geeky sounding.

Bought the van yesterday so I'm still in the honeymoon ;P

9. Igzabier

Igzabier New Member

Got some cheap-ish Pioneer 4x6 3-way in front.
    They don't fit well but I just squished in and held them in place with existing screws-adapter plate is more than useless.
    Sounds lovely!

But the Pioneer are still not great. Now I want rear.

Will update... For now here's some Sambar van pr0n from a chill session with new speakers:
    View attachment 13705