1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suzuki Carry Engines

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by ValleyMiniTrucks, Jan 11, 2008.

1. ValleyMiniTrucks

ValleyMiniTrucks New Member

Can any one tell me if a 1997 Suzuki Carry engine is An Interfernce Type? Where, that in case of a broken timing belt it would cause a catastrophic event. Any Input would be Helpful .

2. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

I'm not sure, but with as expensive as an engine is, and probably a good guess that getting a complete engine would be difficult at best, I'd assume it is an interference type, and change the belt at 100,000 kms.

3. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  4. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

I think it is safe to assume that all models of mini trucks are valve benders. I recieved my 12 valve 660 Suzuki from a fellow who broke a timing belt, then fixed the problem....then improperly putting on the belt, bent them again. I've seen the 6 valve models getting the valves replaced as well, so play it safe.

5. Aligator

Aligator New Member

Does anybody know, if you can get a timing belt at a local parts store for a DD51T?
    Thanks!

6. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

I would seriously doubt it, have not heard of anybody getting a crossover.
    However there are lots of sponsors ^^^^ up there that can help you out, I'm sure that they have them on the shelf as I type this out. :D

7. Badgerland

Badgerland Member

As TimeTripper stated, VERY unlikely you're going to find one locally at a Shop (I wouldn't even waste the gas to check at an import shop - most places have never seen these trucks before). I have one in stock for a DD51T or other site sponsors can help you out that stock these parts.

8. Sheperdale

Sheperdale Member

Final Answer

Are these interference engines?? I was just wondering the final answer. From what everyone says it sounds like I am going to have to replace them. I live in the middle of no where and before I start ripping this thing apart I would love an answer. Now for my situation and sorry this post is so big. About four weeks ago my timing belt slipped a couple of teeth due to the fact the belt was old and it has been cold, -38 F. Lined everything up replaced the belt and water pump and everthing was cool for about 2 weeks. Then the truck started to lug and I got it to the shop where it's been dead ever since. During the time it started to lug the carb started spitting gas out the intake and flooding. Over the past week I have repositioned the belt and rebuilt the carb. Still nothing. Have checked the plugs, ignition wires, coil, relays, cap and rotor, rotor alignment, vacuum lines, fuel delivery and quality and tomorrow I am checking compression. If there appears to be anything simple I have missed let me know. Other than that it sounds like I am going to have to start ripping this thing apart. Also I am thinking about replacement due to the price of parts. Any ideas suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am out of ideas.

9. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

Carry engines are all interference types. It depends on the severity of the bent valve as to whether it will run (or not). Remember, these require every bit of compression to run, and missing a cylinder out of 3 takes a huge chunk of thunder from a 660cc engine.

10. xroadsimport

xroadsimport Member

The answer is yes. They are interferance engines. If you break a timing belt the likely outcome is a bent valve. We do have the timing belts in stock.

11. Sheperdale

Sheperdale Member

Actually, Cory the guy I bought the truck from (Tom at Cook Inlet Mini Trucks) told me to give your mechanic a call. After Today I don't think the valves are damaged because all three cylinders tested at 140. I took the valve cover off and lined everything up again and still nothing. I am going to go ahead and get a new cap, rotor, plugs and wires because maybe I have a spark going somewhere I don't want. Still running out of ideas.

12. Ravk

Ravk Member

Did you move the distributor? It may be 180 deg out. Reset the dist and try again.