1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sambar bumper/brush guard/hitches

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by BLES, Jan 12, 2008.

1. BLES

BLES Member

I'm planning to do a rear receiver-type hitch/bumper (rear) as well as a front bumper of some sort, likely incorporating some sort of guard to try to reduce damage from "deer-in-the-headlights" syndrome and a receiver for hitch or winch mount.

Anyone else interested in these? If I make one and then others want them, it would've been easier to make a jig and do a few from the get-go. Just trying to decide how to go about it. I haven't even got it designed yet so I'm open to options. (I'm obviously going to build for my '91. Anyone know what other years are the same? I don't have any others here to compare/measure.)

Any/all thoughts welcome.

BLES

2. speedy67

speedy67 Member

I could be interested in them, perhaps Norm might be too.

If you could make a generic one that would look good on all models, (it seems the 15_ year old trucks all have the basic shape anyways) and then customize the mount to fit the particular truck....??

3. Ichabod

Ichabod Member

I definitively would be interested a nice set of bumpers for my '90 Sambar

4. Colin

Colin Member

I'd be interested in stealing your design and fabricating one myself, if that's what you mean. :D

5. BLES

BLES Member

Colin:
    I'd have no problem with that. That's the way the world works now. I see that in my small engine business EVERY day. Just promise you won't make it from trash, with poor workmanship, and then imply it's one of my pieces!! Other problem is these type of things - would be hard to copy without actual blueprints,etc. or a jig. I've looked at several bumpers online and it hasn't helped me a bit. Especially when none are for a Sambar with the rear engine compartment.
    BLES

6. Colin

Colin Member

I know how that goes.

I'm pretty handy at fabrication in my own right - just kidding with ya about plagiarizing your bumper. :)

Colin

7. BLES

BLES Member

Colin:
    OK. Let's see what you've got! :D I just pulled my truck up to see what it would take.... oh, man!! No wonder why no one makes them for Subaru!

I can't see any way to make a front bar that I'd want my name on without tieing it back to the crossmember, and that means at least some loss of ground clearance (on a "too low" vehicle already). I think a simple hitch would work, but I'd really like some sort of front guard for my next wildlife encounter. I'm thinking a deer-hit wouldn't be fun in one of these. Plus, no body shop would touch it, if there was enough left to fix!

Rear doesn't look much better at first glance. Everything is made of tin! Even the frame/crossmembers look and sound like VERY light tubing - like an ATV uses. Not much to weld or bolt to, but I suppose it doesn't need to be too heavy since it won't pull much anyway.? What do you think about using that round crosstube behind the engine? I think mounts could be made to fit it and onto those side brackets.? Just a hard thing for me to get my head around - building something so light duty.

Will keep you posted.
    BLES

8. myhijet

myhijet Member

I don't know how a Subaru is designed but this is what I did for my hitch. I used 1/4x3 flat with a 5/8 hole in the end for the vertical. 1/4x1 1-1/2 for the piece from the vertical to the cross tube above the axle. I put 5/8 ready rod in the cross tubes with a nut threaded on on each side and inside the tube. The hitch is clamped to the frame and the nuts on the inside act as bushings somewhat to keep the ready rod centered, not there to tighten to. The cross piece is 1-1/2x3 10ga rectangle. The reciever is 2-1/2 sq 3/16. I notched the reciever piece into the rectangle half way down. Be sure to check clearance between the reciever insert and the gas tank. Hijet Bumper 005 comp.jpg

Hijet Bumper 006 comp.jpg
    I had waterers to fix at a dairy yesterday so forgive the dirt and poo.

9. Colin

Colin Member

Last edited: Feb 8, 2008
  10. BLES

BLES Member

Hey, nice looking fab work Colin! I'm really curious to see that on your Sambar!!:D I think I'd trade the Mountain Dew for some coffee, but I see you've got the Seafoam to round out the necessities!!

I haven't done anything yet with bumpers (unless scratching my head counts!). I think I know what I'm going to do on the front, but the back is tough with the drop panel if you want to keep what little ground clearance is there.:confused:

BLES

11. Colin

Colin Member

I'm a Dr. Pepper drinker, myself... a friend of mine brought a case of Mountain Dew and left it on my workbench. :)

Yeah, right! It'll never spool! :eek: That's a Holset HX35 (think 5.9L Cummins) - it's for my XR. :p

Colin

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  12. rwb31

rwb31 Member

old thread but did you ever make the front bumper for the receiver? im looking to place a winch on the front? thanks robert

13. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

I've looked at those brackets on that engine bar. They look like they could be sturdy enough to attach a trailer mount to. If you can keep the hitch low and inline with those brackets then your hitch will be in pure tension and should be more than strong enough. Also, use socket head capscrews to bolt it on, since they are rated stronger than a grade 8 bolt. Make sure to look up the recommended torque spec for the bolt (usually about 75% of the way to it's max tensile strength)...Loose bolts will break before properly torqued ones.

I'll have to take a closer look and do some calculations for it. Keep in mind that the standard load rating of a standard hitch is likely limited by the vehicle and brakes and not the hitch itself (stuff like that typically has a safety factor of 2-3 times).

14. rwb31

rwb31 Member

anyone here come up with a front mounting receiver that sits above the frame bar in front. i want it higher for clearance.. let me know i have a 3000 lbs winch and would like to put it on.. i cant believe no one makes a brush guard and winch mount..

15. SpikeFiend

SpikeFiend Member

These guys seem to make one for both the front and rear of Sambars (website only shows pics of the rear). Might be worth giving them a shout.

16. rwb31

rwb31 Member

thank you Spike I appreciate the help.. Rob