1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini Carb/EFI

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by Rumanji, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Rumanji

Rumanji New Member

I have a 91 mini Mitsubishi 4WD. The carb really sux. Does anyone know of an EFI kit to do away with the carb? If that is not possible, where can I get a new carb? Also need the hose from the exhaust manifold that goes around the rear of the engine and hooks to the air intake. Thanks in advance for your responses!

2. akguy09

akguy09 Member

91 mini

i cant help you on the carb, but for the hose if its like my '88 then is just cheap flex hose that can be had from a local auto store

3. sdjenk

sdjenk New Member

Hi, I have a late 90's mit with a carb on it and I had the same problem. I have the 550cc motor and switched to a TM33-8012 Mikuni carb. Nothing more than a carb for a motorcycle. Got a flange that would bolt up, made a slight throttle bracket adjustment, and it fired right up. As soon as I get it done (hopefully within the next month I am going to post pics of all the work I have done. I am sure that someone will want to know how I did this or that.

4. ltcnav

ltcnav New Member

carb replacement

It has been over a month, how has the swap worked? I have a '90, might try the same thing.

5. sdjenk

sdjenk New Member

carb swap

Seems to be working like a champ! No hesitation, but seems to be cold natured. So was my dirt bike so it doesn't supprise me. But once it's warmed up no problems. I haven't given it the full offroad test (extreme hills up and down) but it seems to be just what I expected only now I can get parts. As soon as I get the time I will post pics and you can check it out. There were a few mods that I had to make one being the throttle cable connection had to be modified and they don't have a conversion choke cable kit that fits that carb. They said it will but the adapter will not work (wrong thread size) so I made one.:)

6. sdjenk

sdjenk New Member

carb pics

Ok guys here are some pics of the new carb I installed. Enjoy!:pop:

Attached Files:

7. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

That looks like it fit perfect! What did you use for the intake manifold adaptor? Seems like that would be the hardest part to find.

8. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

good work....what size bike was it on ?...does it have enough flow ?

9. sdjenk

sdjenk New Member

carb swap

The flange is a standard 32mm flange for the carb. I took a round file to the holes because the rubber made it a little to hard to get the bolts in. It was a little tighter than the bolt pattern but no big deal. That was the easiest part. the time consuming part was figuring the right jets for the motor. And that ended up being a change in the pilot jet two sizes up. The pain part of the job was the choke conversion. the adapter is the wrong size and I ended up making one to thread into the carb. As far as the flow it seems to be fine, no hesitation and starts up without even getting in the cab! Big change from the old piece of crap that was in it. I have to say that it was one of the best and easiest conversions I have done.:)

10. sdjenk

sdjenk New Member

It didn't come off a bike, I have had dirt bikes all my life and I went with the carb that fit the throat of the intake manifold. The way I looked at it the manifold determines how much fuel and air will go through it. So if you match the carb to the intake you should have a good start and walla!!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  11. 3banger

3banger Member

Mikuni on the 3g83

Hi there,

I had looked and looked for a carb to do exactly what you did. Thanks for proving the concept for me.

I was looking for a 34mm (the size of the carb on my older mitz) but I couldn't find anything. Did you measure 32mm or did you just go a tad smaller for easy sourcing?

That also looks like a flat plate carb, is it?

I'm also REALLY looking forward to another performace update. Does it have power around the same RPM range? I was worried that I'd lose out on top or bottom. Again.. thanks for testing this out for us.

I have major problems with my stock carb and would LOVE to throw it into the recycle pile.

12. 3banger

3banger Member

Just bumping this thread.

I'd really like to know how the carb has effected power and economy. Feel like giving us an update?

13. 3banger

3banger Member

Any idea where I can get some jets and that manifold for it? I'm going to try to buy the carb right now....

Pretty please?

14. 3banger

3banger Member

Bummer sdjenk disappeared. I could use conformation on a few things so I don't throw a bunch of money away.... such is minitruckin'.

I'm about to buy the carb from motorcyclepartsareus.com for $289

Flange - There are two that fit the carb. One has a width of 60mm between the studs and one 75mm. I'm in Turkey for another month so I can't go home and measure.... I'm going to buy both. They're about $25 each.

Jets - A pack of 4 is $10 (come with 127.5 main, and a 37.5 Pilot jet). I'm going to buy a large variety... just in case.

I'll let you know what happens.

15. sdjenk

sdjenk New Member

Sorry guys for being gone. Had things going on. Carb works great! One up on both pilot and main. Might want to try two up on main. Right now it runs fine but lacks on top end. And for some reason which I am still working on the vacuum that is created by the motor seems to hold the throttle open a little so I am checking on a fix. Other than that it idles great and low end is perfect! Just keep changing settings and see which works the best. I have a dump so it makes it easy to remove. But if you keep with it, it will work!

16. sdjenk

sdjenk New Member

Oh and for the manifold I used the same on that was on the truck I just bought the manifold adapter that clamps to the carb. The two bolt holes were only off a little and took a file to elongate the holes and thats it.

17. 3banger

3banger Member

:(

I just bought all the stuff and now I don't think I'm going to bother putting it in. I could have used an update big time.....

How do the plugs look?
    It holds the throttle open at idle or under load at higher RPMs?
    I'll bought three main and pilot jet sizes but It's starting to look like there's s CFM problem. Buuuuummmmer.

I bought two different manifolds because I had no info to go on there either. Oh well. Maybe I can find something else to put the carb on someday.

18. 3banger

3banger Member

I've now done the swap, too.

mine started immediately. I have left the original idle jet in place. The carb came stock with A 127.5 main jet. I'm now at 155 without any luck.

There seems to be no problem at top end. The problem is there is nothing at bottom end. if I wack the throttle it boggs big time. I'm thinking although its a pumper carb the accelerator pump isn't large enough.

I'm going to recheck my timing and then keep going up in main jets I guess.

Another problem with this conversion is the plenum for the air filter is interfering with the throttle cable so badly that I'm going to need to make something from scratch....

Let this be a lesson for people, like me, not to believe everything they hear on the Internet.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017