1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battery Cables - upgrade

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by chickendumpling, Dec 10, 2010.

1. ....................................................

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  2. werase643

werase643 Member

I just chopped the ends of the original cables and added some clamp on-style to use typical car batteries. Pretty sure my truck just died because of those.

I bet money it didn't......

what does the trick do?
    lights?
    did wires start smoking?
    what is the voltage?
    did you put the batt in backwards?

3. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Hey Norm,

I'm going to be replacing my entire battery with a larger one that actually has the cold cranking amps to start the truck in sub zero temps. I will be putting that battery in a marine battery case for protection and then you won't have to worry as much about your battery cable ends.
    [​IMG]

4. werase643

werase643 Member

ok, sounded like an overnight problem

clean the cable ends and use dielectric grease on the wire ends

it will slow the corrosion

the big wire is for starting
    the little one for everything else

check the voltage
    across the batt ? V
    + to the truck chassis ? V
    - to the starter terminal ? V
    starter terminal to the chassis ? V

any different values(lower Volt) will tell you which wire has high resistance clean the contact points and re test

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  5. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Yup, that's what I'm doing. I'm gonna cut half the stock battery mount off and fasten that marine battery box on there instead. Should work pretty well, and protect the battery from getting all covered in mud/snow/whatever. I don't think you need to replace the entire cable though.

6. werase643

werase643 Member

measure the length of the cables and go buy pretty red and black ones that are the same length
    going to have to either crimp or solder the wire to the little wire on the positive side

you only need a car batt not a 1000 CCA truck battery
    i'm good with a high capacity lawnmower battery 375 CCA

7. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

I'm going to be using my winch a lot though since I'm going to be plowing with my truck (and probably getting stuck all over the place in the spring when I go off roading lol) so I don't want to stress the charging system too much... but you're right I don't need a truck battery; I'm sure a car battery will be just fine.

8. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

with those battery boxes make a couple holes in the very bottoms of it. RV'ers have had those fill up with water from driving through rain and condensations.

9. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Good to know! I know it's vented but I'm not sure what kinda venting it has...

10. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

I'll bet a 550cca battery will do just fine as it is ;)

I don't think the spraypaint is a good idea... you could use electrician's grease... that'd keep the contacts free of corrosion, but it's kinda nasty.

I think you can get replacement battery cables at most parts stores... but they're the ones with the big honkin' lead ends.

11. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Any car stereo shop can make you the fanciest of cables to whatever length you need. I would think a welding supply place could make a fine cable too, although not as fancy.

12. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

My favorite playground..the wrecking yard has a ton of good battery terminal covers to choose from...Hondas are rubber and wrap around the entire terminal..new beetles have an enclosed battery box/busbar/fuseblock that covers the whole battery...it's like Christmas at a wrecking yard all year long:):D

13. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Here's my solution:

Battery box; $10.00 at local marine supply store.
    [​IMG]

Cut off the sides of the stock box, re-bent the shelf and mounted the sucker...
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. confuzed

confuzed Member

Not sure how old this thread is I went to walmart with my box dimentions (subaru) picked one that fit put standard ends on cables but yes cable up grades are in plans bat hold down won't fit but battery can not move and cover is bolted in. If i remember right it is 550 crank amps. lol 9 years guarantee like i will have the reciept that long. Need the crank in -30 c weather. May sound dumb .... but check battery polarity I had one where a cell screwed up and it caused the battery to reverse polarity was funny drove it a week until i could get a new one with the terminals connected backwards

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010