1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1999 Hijet engine swap please help

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Wareagle115, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Wareagle115

Wareagle115 New Member

I have a 1999 hijet with a fuel injected 660 engine with twin cam. I bought an engine on bay and was told it would fit. Everything matched up with transmission until I started plugging everything in. Most plugs matched up except on the throttle housing. I am kind of stuck. Does anyone have any advise on how to convert this or if it will work with my truck (maybe wiring diagram). Any help is appreciated

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Is it possible that you got a twin cam vs. single cam engine? If so then thats a larger problem... if the connectors are just different just swap the sensors for the correct ones from the old motor.

3. Wareagle115

Wareagle115 New Member

I had a twin cam in the truck and I am putting a single cam in it. Can I do this and if so what do I nerd to do? Most plugs match, but I cannot find the cam sensor plug and they are different on the intake also. Thanks for helping.

4. greg0187

To start your gonna need a single cam engine harness and a single cam engine computer and hope that everything else works.

5. Wareagle115

Wareagle115 New Member

Do you know where I I can find a computer and harness or am I better to try and find a twin cam engine?

6. greg0187

it kinda sounds like you got some bad info on fitment. I have no idea where you could find that stuff. I would check with G&R Imports (probably your best bet for used parts). You'll probably have better luck on getting a twin cam engine. If you decide to stick with the single cam, check your throttle cable length, you might need a longer one, and also all your intake air ducting may be different. Another route would be to swap the top end of the old motor onto the new block. The blocks are the same, can't say so much for the pistons though, they may not have the clearance for the extra valves.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  7. Wareagle115

Wareagle115 New Member

My head was warped and has been taken apart before I got it. Don't think it is salvagable(any suggestions)? Would ytou (or anytone) know the model # or which computer I need? How do I find this out?

8. Socal Sonny

Socal Sonny Member

hey greg, do all the single cam 660 engines have the same ecu and engine harness?
    i have an s83 that i will be parting out soon.

9. Wareagle115

Wareagle115 New Member

The engine I have is fuel injected if that makes a difference. If your harness would work that would be great.

10. Socal Sonny

Socal Sonny Member

yeah in sure that makes a big difference.. my truck is carburated .

11. greg0187

Im not 100% sure there is a difference in the ECU between the single and the dual cam but I'm willing to put money on it that there is. I would talk to G&R imports. They should be able to tell you what you need to get that single cam up and running.

12. Wareagle115

Wareagle115 New Member

Daihatsu engine for sale

I received a complete fuel injected single cam 660 engine. This did not fit because I needed a twin cam. I was told it was in good running condition. I have never ran it, but it appears to be in good shape. The exhaust manifold is cracked but everything else looks fine. I would sell this or trade it because I have no use for it. Let me know if you are interested. My email is stacyjohnson5528@gmail.com.