1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JDM Turbo option

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Timetripper, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Thought this might interest some folks

Aftermarket turbo option for Kei 660 cc engines

Link here

I think it works out to 1400.00 US + shipping, etc

They make specific kits for the Suzuki Carry but I think that they could be adapted to others.
    At the very least now you know what size turbo works on your truck :D

2. Badgerland

Badgerland Member

Oh boy... time for a Spring/Summer project marketing truck...

Imagine the launch in a 4WD 130hp Carry... will remind me of my 2006 Subaru STi. :D :D :D I bet a 2WD could pull the front end up with some grippy tires. I can see it already...wheelie bars on a mini. :sly:

Thanks for causing trouble TT! Great find.

3. steve_nagoya

steve_nagoya Member

I noticed that they are producing these for the Carry Van (DE51V). I'd have to check to see if the engines of a 2wd van are the same as the DB51T or DD51T engines. I don't think so but there may only be a simple adjustment to the turbo kit?

4. WELDER

WELDER Member

Sorry if I'm digging up an old thread, but the link is dead, does this mystery company still make the kit?

Thank you.

5. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

6. WELDER

WELDER Member

Hmmm, I tried it, but not luck finding a turbo setup. I just want something to copy. Everything is simple until I get to the issue of an intake manifold. I have the EFI Clover 660, and am not in any way familiar with the intake that's on it. If I could see a kit, I'd be able to copy it somewhat :D

Has anyone pieced together a kit for the 660 yet? It seems that most people looking for more power go for the engine swap, but I want to keep the clover. :cool:

7. Little Dumper

Little Dumper Member

If the bolt patterns are the same the Turbo Sprint/Firefly manifold and turbo should do the trick. The turbo spools at about 2500 rpm in that application so on a 660 it should be at about 3500-4000 rpm. You can use a manual boost controller to make it come in a bit earlier as well.

You can get that stuff at Pick-a-Part in Chilliwack for about $100 so it's cheap as hell to get started. The turbo alone is $75 so all you need is to fab up a manni for it.

Jon.

8. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

The Suzuki DD51T did come in a turbo model. I had a 97 DD51T which to my surprise looked as if it was a factory turbo. The down side was that the turbo was locked up. Had some rust inside of it. Truck itself ran great without the turbo kicking in. I sold the truck to another dealer which indicated he could get a new/used turbo. Thats been about 1 yr. ago. Since you brought it up again I'll have to call Jason and see if he ever got another one installed on it. When I tore it down the turbo had 4 lines going to it. 2 supply and 2 returns oil/water. Truck might have sat for some period without good fluid in it and froze the wheel solid.

9. WELDER

WELDER Member

Thanks Dumper. I could grab a Turbo sprint/firefly in town here for that price, so maybe that's what I'll do. Most of the stuff I'll buy from cxracing.com (some good and some bad (knock-off) parts, ie. intercooler, BOV, etc.

I'm working on the intake design, it'll will either look like:

turbo > 1 pipe collector to 4 pipe's, one for each cylinder, or just one, big, rectangular prysm-looking thing. I know air doesn't like moving around sharp bends though, so the "1-4" idea might be the way to go.

And thank you TRAX. Please post any info if you get a hold of your buddy.

10. WELDER

WELDER Member

I may not have been thinking in that last post...:p

Doesn't my custom intake manifold just need to go into the stock throttle body? This way I could use the stock intake.

I'm talking about making the compressed air enter the throttle body where there is currently a large hose attathed to the air cleaner...

ie. turbo, intercooler, BOV, throttle body?

Mine is EFI if that helps.

11. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

12. WELDER

WELDER Member

Thank you, but it's too late. A million hours searching the interweb, and crossing over my diesel knowledge, I figured it out. Ordering components on the weekend:)

13. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Keep us in the loop please. Jason at North Texas Mini Trucks has the DD51T turbo. I called him the other day after ya';; started talking turbo's and ask if he ever got it going. After making a few calls he found a used turbo but hasnt installed it yet.

14. WELDER

WELDER Member

Absolutely. If I order my turbo, intercooler, BOV, all that junk, this weekend, once it gets here I'll start a build thread :D:pop:

15. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

What are your plans for fueling?

16. WELDER

WELDER Member

Once I have the turbo and junk plumbed in, I'll choose a higher-volume electric fuel pump from the shelf at work. After that, I'll try to either track doewn some bigger injectors (most likely from the Arctic Cat T660 if they'll work), or figure out if there is any way to "turn up" the fuel with the stock TB.

Since you know worlds more about this than me...is there any way to turn up the fuel entering the engine?

Thanks yet again.

17. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Some things to investigate:

FPR (Fuel Pressure Riser) - Specifically a Rising Rate FPR that increases fuel pressure as a function of manifold pressure (boost).

Megasquirt - I've heard many great things about this if you really want to do it "right".

18. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Woah, you beat me to it... here's the post I had ready to post :p

Bigger injectors, larger fuel pump... you can probably hack the ECU with something like Megasquirt or some such.

Great minds think alike lol.

19. WELDER

WELDER Member

Acerguy and Ironraven, thanks a mill. The megasquirt has had some awsome reviews, and seems to be a good project. However, I'd like to keep it all analog/manual/simple. I can get one of these along with my turbo junk http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchan...ode=CXR&Product_Code=FR005&Category_Code=FUSM .

Seems to be the same idea as a the smarty, just more basic. In the pictures below the main product picture, I see a vacuum line going to the manifold, so this should do the trick, fairly inexpensively too:)

Now that I'm all antsy, I'll order stuff tonight, get this build rolling :D

20. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Just so you know, you'll get much more reliable power, a smoother power curve, more efficiency and more power from a properly tuned engine, AND you'll run a lot less risk of blowing it up. A bad tune makes the difference between power and kaboom. I come from the Honda world and I know guys who blew their engines pushing 200 whp with the same setup as guys who ran hundreds of 1/4 mile passes pushing 300 whp; the only difference was the tune.

FYI the higher the compression of the engine, the more important a solid tune is. Increasing the amount of fuel will help to drown out knock, but it's not nearly as reliable as retarding the timing is. Too much knock and here's what you get:

[​IMG]

21. WELDER

WELDER Member

I'm well aware of what happens in a poorly tuned engine with boost trying to enter it. Thanks for looking out though;) I will be putting it on a dyno the day after it's done. We'll monitor EGT's and all that jazz while it's on the dyno.

Well, this in the night, off to order the parts, I'll be back shortly.

22. WELDER

WELDER Member

ORDERED:D:D:D

Time to go find some monster gauges :)