1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Sure what to make of this problem?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by okaufman, Aug 28, 2010.

1. okaufman

okaufman Member

I got my mini truck about 3 months ago....but recently was able to get plates and have been driving it on regular roads for a few days now....

At first i took it slow and stayed on side streets (25-30 MPH)....but for the past few days I've been driving on regular roads (40-45 MPH which seems to be the top speed on my truck)

It seemed to run fine until today.

Anytime I would get past 3rd gear in the 35-40 MPH range it would just start to slow down on its own. The faster i tried to go...the slower i went.

I was able to get home but top speed was like 15 MPH (in 2nd gear)

After i finally got home i left the truck alone for a while.

A few hours later i tried to start the truck and it seemed to give me a bit of a hard time.....but it started after a few cranks.

I took it out for a spin again and it seemed to be ok at lower speeds but anytime I would get moving faster it would loose power.

It always Idle's fine and never dies.

Any ideas? Could I have a problem with a fuel pump?

Im love driving this truck but am really not much of a mechanic.

I'm located near chicago....so if anyone can reccomend a repair shop to look at this truck i would appreciate it.

Will any old mechanic be able to work on it?

Where can i get parts?

Its an 1989 Carry 4WD 550CC (DB71T)

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Sounds like fuel filter rather than pump. They are real easy to work on so any older mechanic would probably love to work on one of these.

3. okaufman

okaufman Member

thanks...ill check it out.

If I can find the fuel filter will it be pretty obvious if it is dirty? can it be washed and cleaned up or does it need to be replaced...

4. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Well on mine it has 3 fuel filters, and you have to replace them. Just fallow the fuel line. Mine is a 1992 it has one in the tank with fuel pump, one along the frame and one just prior to carburator. These 2 last ones look alike. The one in the tank rarely clogs up before the others because the filter has a coarser net. The symtomes you mention is consistent with fuel filter clog or Cat clog

5. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

First thing I changed when I purchased my truck were plugs,wires,cap,rotor,air filter and fuel filters. Mine runs really nice ever since except for a vacuum line once and a coolant line an other time.

6. okaufman

okaufman Member

So I traced my fuel line from the gas tank all the way to the what I believe to be the carb.

I think I found 2 filters along the way (pictures attached) maybe someone can help Identify?

Tracing back from the gas tank to the carb.....the first filter along the way is picture #2.......its a bit dirty....but the red hose goes from picture #2 to picture #1. Then the black hose from picture #2 goes to the carb.

If those are indeed the filters and need to be replaced where can i find those parts? could there be a filter somewhere else i missed?

Also I should mention .....the muffler has seen better days. The pipe should extend almost to the rear of the truck....but it must have rusted off at some point....because the pipe is very short the comes off the muffler and you can tell there is a mount where the tailpipe should extend to...not sure if the plays any part in all this....i'm going to get this fixed as soon as i have some time....since it probably should run somewhat quieter with that in place.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  7. okaufman

okaufman Member

#6 is picture 2

#1 is picture 1

Attached Files:

8. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

I agree with Littlefoot ,it sounds fuel related..if the filters don't solve it then your main jet or float bowl are clogged....Seafoam is your best friend in this instance (aside from a carb teardown and thorough cleaning) your exhaust unless plugged up wont cause much power loss (in certain circumstances a rotted exhaust can cause a rough running engine but not rob it of the power you are experiencing)...

9. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

sounds like my 80's chev. i havent figured it out either. thinking its plugs. there is fuel, it was sputtering on starting fluid etc. just cant get it to go.

might be the fuel to?

10. fupabox

do you have the 305 with 4bbl carb ? if so check your egr valve on top of the pass side exhaust manifold...see if it's opening and closing properly..the control arm that operates it corrodes and sticks open...also pump the throttle while looking down the carb throat..you should see the accelerator pump pumping fuel into the carb..if not you have a fuel problem (theres a filter in the fuel line inside the carb.) also check that your choke is coming on.when cold step on the gas once to the floor and slowly release..the choke should stay closed..the mechanical fuel pumps also wear out(the actuator rod gets short) or the rubber splits inside the pump.put a timing light on each plug wire one at a time and crank to see if each wire is getting spark..all the plugs would have to be severely gone to keep an old V8 from starting...I've rebuilt a few old chevs so I've seen most of their problems

11. okaufman

okaufman Member

so the stuff i have pictured are indeed the fuel filters? where can i get parts?

12. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Picture#2 is your fuel filter, it looks like it needs changing anyway, my truck has 2 of these. Don't know if my truck was modified. Picture #1 is fuel regulator. Fuel regulators rarely go bad. If you are from canada miniBrute has them. Ask for Jeremy. He's a sponsor at the top.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  13. okaufman

okaufman Member

Could I bypass the fuel filter and hook things up directly to test? or would i risk damaging anything?

14. okaufman

okaufman Member

I'm from chicago....perhaps i can order one from Mini Brutes?

15. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

If U have a spigit to bypass the lines go for it, it will tell you if that's your problem just don't drive a thousand miles.

If you already are in the US then your all set for US distributors.

16. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

as a test - yes -

I used to get this all the time in my mazda b2000
    had 3 of them and they all suffered from the same issue

BUT

You run the risk of --- if debris are in the line - you could then get them further up the line - like the carb, float bowl
    this would be bad

In an emergency, I once used a bic pen
    I got lucky and made it home with no probs

But after that I ALWAYS carried 2 or 3 filters in the truck
    They only lasted about 6 months

BE SAFE and take off your filter, take it with you, go grab a filter at the store

Just for a test filter you SHOULD be able to run any kind that is very similar in size, direction

Most of these trucks are not fuels injected, so the system is not pressurized

So you should be able to use any kind of similar fuel filter you can grab at your local auto parts stores

It seems the beauty ( and the curse ) of these little buggers is that you can ( and often have to ) macguyver your fixes

a fuel filter should be no big deal to use an off the shelf one

If I am wrong - someone here will correct me

17. okaufman

okaufman Member

i was thinking to just unhook the fuel filter...and hook the hoses up directly to eachother....would that work?

What US distributor has parts for my truck?

18. okaufman

okaufman Member

so pretty much any old fuel filter that fits should work?

19. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

i would get a similar size and config
    yours looks like it is
    inlet on bottom
    outlet on top
    both are on the same side

so yea if you can find something pretty close it should work

i know you can just futz it with another piece of tubing ...
    but really for the $4 for a cheapo filter......

and that will allow you to do it NOW
    allow you to drive it around and determine if thats your problem

if it IS the prob
    then feel free to order a factory fit from someone

as for who stocks those parts for the EXACT for your truck

check the site sponsors
    they all seem really good

search this site
    search google
    search ebay

make sure and post all of your results and testing
    and even pics and part numbers if you find a good off the shelf replacement

20. okaufman

okaufman Member

going to the store now to see what i can find.....

got a bunch of gasoline in my face, mouth and eyes getting this thing off.... :)

21. fupabox

Don't smoke :p

22. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

mmmm yummy !
    I remember doing that on my 92 ford e-350
    filter was about the size of large can of alphagetti !
    And it was pressurized ( i didn't know that beforehand )

I BATHED in it !!

Probably 8 - 10 ounces worth

and I was laying below it
    its attached to the frame rail

I know your pain!

Good luck
    I look forward to seeing how it goes

23. okaufman

okaufman Member

so I found a fuel filter which fit....purolater.....(i can post pics and provide part numbers if anyone is interested) but my problem still remains.....

as soon as i pass 30MPH it starts to slow down......

It drives totally normal otherwise and idles fine..... as long as i do not go over 30MPH

seems like right after i switch it into 4th gear and step on the gas it does not want to move any more....

any other ideas....

I have a freind who is a "mechanic" coming over later to take a stab at it....

24. fupabox

Is your truck originally a domestic sold or japanese sold vehicle ? you may be having issues with the factory speed limiter if it was originally sold in the USA..you mention you were topping 45 mph before and now can't hit 30..the speed limiters were for 25mph if I'm not mistaken.... not sure why it would suddenly only do 25 if it was fine before...My only other suggestion is the main jet or float bowl being clogged (main jet more likely but to get to it you need to open the float bowl anyway..is there an electric fuel cutoff solenoid on your carb ??

25. okaufman

okaufman Member

I don't have alot of history on the truck.

its a right hand drive so i'm assuming japan.

It came with mud tires so I dont think this thing was driven on regular roads at high speeds ever....or at least not for the past 3 years.

I doubt its the limiter because for 2 days i was driving at 40 MPH plus.

All of a sudden yesterday i was crusing along at 45MPH and it started to slow down until it could not even keep 25MPH.

Its really stange because it Idle's fine and drives normally at lower speed. Could it be something with the clutch? Where can i find the main jet or float bowl to check that?

26. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

Awww
    that sux
    we always hope for the easiest fix

On the upside
    You have a fresh fuel filter
    You have eliminated one possibility
    You didn't break anything

NEXT

My buddy mentioned ( although unlikely ) possible plugged CAT
    but shouldn't be an all of a sudden thing

Fuel pump could still be a possibility
    not failed yet but on its way out
    But unlikely since it gets up to 25

Should have picked up some seafoam while you were at the store

Never tried it myself
    but it seems that lots of people like it

My bro uses it regularly in all his diesels

again, it can't hurt to clean it out
    it won't be expensive

Keep us posted on what your buddy finds out

27. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Cat clog occurs suddendly because it is usually caused by a collapse or the honeycomb breaks inside cat. But I don't think that's your problem. Does it start to smoke black at the point where it slows down. It's not clutch either. It has to be fuel starvation somehow. The last time this happened to me it was a seized caliper.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  28. okaufman

okaufman Member

Well the fuel filter needed to be changed anyways......but i still have the problem.

I need to leave this alone until the weekend....to many other things in the way.

I'll keep everyone posted incase someone is curious to find out what the fix is....and if anyone has any suggestions please share.

Any advise on exhaust / Cat troubleshooting?....please let me know....

Thanks for all the reply's....

29. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

30. okaufman

okaufman Member

sounds like we have the same problem...and now that he mentioned it....i get really poor gas milage also....