1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Bumper picture heavy post

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by OldMachinist, Jan 9, 2012.

1. OldMachinist

OldMachinist Moderator Staff Member

After studying the rear of my Honda several times over the last few months I finally designed a rear bumper mounting that I really liked so this weekend I built the brackets and bumper.
    [​IMG]

The brackets are made from 2"x1"x3/16" channel iron and welded to the rear ends of the frame.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The angles that got welded to the bumper tube are tack welded to the brackets so the holes could be drilled thru both angles at the same time.
    I hade to cut a small rectangle hole centered with the frame on the under side of the rear sheet metal to slip the brackets thru.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  2. OldMachinist

Some red metal primer
    [​IMG]

And some black enamel
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I'm going try to design a front bumper with a winch mount.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  3. That is nice. I have a '92 ACTY and I have been looking at it to see how I could fabricate a bumper. I like your design.

How does the square tube attach to the brackets? Is it welded? Or, is it bolted? I see you drilled some holes, but I can't see exactly how it is attached.

Is the bumper high enough for your tailgate to fully open?

4. OldMachinist

The bumper tube assembly is bolted on. The holes drilled in the angle irons are 5/16" the tap dril size for 3/8"-16 holes. After the brackets were welded in place I put the bumper tube in location and tacked it to the angle irons that were tacked to the brackets. I cut the tacks holding the angle irons together, removed the tube with its angles and finished welding them together. I then drilled thru the holes in the angles into the tube and tapped them 3/8"-16. Then I drilled the holes in the bracket angle irons to 25/64" for the bolts.

[​IMG]

I have chains on my tailgate so it opens flat.

[​IMG]

5. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Excellent...looks great....how much (approx.) do you think the bumper weighs?

6. OldMachinist

I'm guessing around 45-50 lbs. The 3" square tubing weights 6.9 lbs. per foot. So 6.9 x 5' = 34.5. I don't think the rest of the materials were much more than 10 lbs.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
    Acerguy likes this.
  7. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Very nice work!

8. allen0288

allen0288 Member

bumper

That really looks good. Usually the second time you do something it turns out better. With that said you can build one for me. Lol. Great Job

9. OldMachinist

My original bumper design needed some support to keep it from flexing downward so I added some.

DSCF2094.JPG DSCF2095.JPG

This bar was machined to fit up inside the corner of the bed.

DSCF2087.JPG DSCF2088.JPG

I added a couple of new mounting plates to the back of the bumper

DSCF2093.JPG

Then made these brackets.

DSCF2089.JPG DSCF2090.JPG DSCF2091.JPG DSCF2092.JPG

I put a 4 foot long piece of 2" tubing in the receiver and jumped up and down on the end of it and there was no flexing.