1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windshield replacement???

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by CompleteLawnCare, Jun 19, 2011.

1. I recently purchased a 1992 Honda Acty HA4 that needs a windshield.

It seems that windshields for this model are hard to find and VERY expensive.

I'm wondering if anyone has replaced a windshield with anything other than the OEM windshield. I am considering fabricating a frame to put a piece of flat glass into and welding or bolting it to the truck.

Attached Files:

2. erixun

erixun Member

Interesting idea. But instead of just a piece of flat glass that is not tempered, nor safety rated (can be very dangerous deadly if broken. Lots of sharp big shards instead of small chips that fracture)..... how bout taking some quick measurements of your windshield frame area, then go to a wrecking yard and find a common car with a frame just a little smaller than yours and cut it off/out and weld that in? Then you can go to a normal auto glass place for a replacement and maybe even a warranty? Just a thought.

3. Now that's the kind of idea I am looking for!! But..... is there any vehicle out there that would have a windshield smaller than my mini?

And, the flat glass would be tempered/safety glass available at the local auto glass shop.

4. MichTrucks

MichTrucks Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

mini truck windshield glass

I alway recommend that people think about getting full coverage that includes glass breakage for this very reason. We quoted a honda windshield in the past and they are very expensive.

5. erixun

erixun Member

Not that I am expecting to break mine, but how expensive are we talking?

6. $650 - $700 delivered to me....

7. Does anyone know if a windshield for a HA2 will fit in my HA4? A local mini truck dealer has a windshield for the HA2, but they tell me it won't fit. I wonder if that is completely correct......

8. It turns out my local dealer did not have a windshield for a HA2.

I have ordered one to be shipped from Japan through one of the sponsors here. Minitruckdealer.com. They will send it to my nearest Greyhound location and it should be here in about a month.

9. werase643

werase643 Member

for off road..... why not just get a shop to cut a big piece of lexan?
    not the best
    but it will work
    just be careful when cleaning it

10. I considered that, and I was told by my local mini truck dealer that some people have done that.

But, I've also heard that just the wipers will scratch the lexan.

And, I feel that I got the truck for a good enough price that I can afford to pay for a new windshield.

11. RCCruiser

RCCruiser New Member

You can buy lexan with a special coating on it. It stops the scratches, sort of like the coating you can get on glasses to resist scratching.

12. Maybe I should have researched the lexan idea more, but I have already paid for the new windshield. I'm just waiting for it to be shipped from Japan.

13. Well.... here it is just over a month since I ordered it, and it is installed.

Picked it up at the Greyhound terminal this morning and brought the windshield and truck to my local glass shop. He charged me $70 to install it.

It took a week to ship from Los Angeles to my closest Greyhound station.

14. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

I recently got a windshield from minitruckdealer.com. David did a great job of packaging the windshield from breakage. I think Greyhound bus is the way to ship things like this.
    In the past other door glass I ordered was not packaged correctly from other mini truck part suppliers(joke) and UPS doesnt give a rats &ss if it breaks or not.

15. Greyhound was a very economical way to ship, but I was concerned because I could not call the local terminal for a few days. I think their phone has been disconnected or something. I had to call a national Greyhound service center and they gave me another number to call, which I finally got through on.

16. TRAX and HORNS

yea, same thing here, I called and it took them about half a day to figure out where it was. Took about 4 days to get here in Austin. But it was a hell of a lot cheaper than other options. Cost of the windshield and shipping.

17. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Just wanted to pop in here if anyone is still reading just to clarify that front windshield glass will be laminated. Only side and back window glass will be tempered. Big difference as the lamination (essentially a layer of plastic) in the front glass is what keeps the glass together in case of a fracture. In can be cut (carefully). Tempered glass will shatter into a million relatively non-sharp fragments upon fracture. It can NOT be cut. :)

18. TRAX and HORNS

I had a glass guy tell me sometime ago that he can cut automotive glass. But you have to know what you are doing. I have seen a article about using a water jet for cutting. Costly, I assume.

19. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Glad to hear your windshield arrived and glad everything worked out! David goes the extra mile when it comes to packaging.

20. Yes, everything worked out fine. It just took a long time, and that was a little frustrating. But, they did a good job of packaging it, and it's all good now..

21. shogun

shogun Active Member

Just got a new one installed here in Japan for my HA3 truck. Official Honda price for the windshield including installation would have been abt. $800.
    Got a new one from the japanese auction house (not OEM Honda), that fits on HA3, HA4, HA5. Honda OEM #73111-SJ6-000 which has apparently been discontinued by Honda and replaced by 73111SJ6505. Around $120-150 shipped within Japan.
    Installation cost me another $250 incl. windshield trim and molding by a local shop in town. As my "oponent" has to pay for it who backed slightly into my front, I asked a shop to do it.
    Next time when I need a new one, I will try to install it DIY.
    Just found a shop in Canada for you guys in North Amercia which offers windshield glass
    CAD $375.00 plus Trim & Molding Kit - Honda Acty 1989-1999 HA1, HA2, HA3, HA4, HA5 $94.57
    Part Name: Windshield Trim
    Genuine Honda Part Number: 73130-SJ6-010
    http://www.justjapaneseglass.com/ho...uck-windshield-clear-ha1-ha2-ha3-ha4-ha5.html

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  22. TRAX and HORNS

I just looked that the site. Great info.
    Thanks.
    This needs to be a sticky in General Information, Please, Kevin.

23. Availability: Usually ships in 6-8 weeks

Ouch!