1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K & n

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by rst277, May 28, 2011.

1. rst277

rst277 Member

Has anyone found a K&N filter that fits SP83 hijets? I choke on the idea of a $30 replacement disposable one. I can have my filter professionally cleaned for $15 but I really want a K&N. I also want to keep the stock air box for winter. Any ideas??

2. starpuss

starpuss Member

yup they have them. take your stock one to part source and they will match it up.

3. rst277

rst277 Member

Do you remember the part number? My local part source has a couple duds working there. I actually walked away from the line up and "browsed" to avoid one clown that gave me 3 wrong parts in a row! Thanks, Ralph

4. starpuss

starpuss Member

i did not buy it. but i looked at it when i had to buy a new one , so i dont have the part # (you can go to the k&n site and match it up. )

5. rst277

rst277 Member

Think I found it! K&N part # E-9242. Dimensions sound spot on and it's $45 at my local speed shop. Unfortunately, there are no refunds as its special order. Any feedback?? Thanks, Ralph

6. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Just for grins I looked that K&N filter up. If it was me I would add a seal like window stripping around the ends like the stock filter.
    You might try www.minitrucksupply.com. Jeff has the best prices on factory filters.
    Might I add if a filter is off 1/64" thats to much. So if I bought a aftermarket filter I would sit them side by side and get the ruler out.

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  7. rst277

rst277 Member

K&N filter ordered! The window stripping is a good idea! I'll see how it fits (pretty hard to see inside the air filter housing mind you) and do that as an extra layer of protection. Ralph the guinea pig.

8. starpuss

starpuss Member

where did you order from?

9. rst277

rst277 Member

Canadian Super Shop on Portage, I live 5 minutes away and they quoted me the best price as well. R

10. starpuss

starpuss Member

let us know how it works out for you , i think i should stick to the stock air box and ill need one.

11. rst277

rst277 Member

Filter arrived and it is bang on according to my vernier caliper and eyeballs. Put some rubber "D" shaped weather strip on one side to make sure of a tight seal and I am in business. I'll have to take "Hibachi" for a rip tomorrow and see if there is an improvement in performance. R

12. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

I kept cleaning out my filter

and not sure about ordering another paper filter

was thinking of going the k&n route as well
    but b4 that i thought I would goof around with the old one

So the first thing was to open er up and cut out the paper filter

1.jpg

2.jpg

This left the shell
    I thought, hey, nice and solid, I can work with this

Then I took used 2 layers of this stuff I had laying around

http://www.webproducts.com/Detail.bok?no=32

It was a perfect fit, wrapped it around the shell

Then I took one of these I had laying around

http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Vac-905-85-9058500-Foam-Sleeve/dp/B00002N6RY

Wrapped that over top

And finally topped it off with a cut off of panty hose to wrap around it and hold it all together

- some may wonder - why did u have panty hose just laying around the garage --- uuuuhhhhmmmm .... I got nothin :rolleyes:

Anyhoo

The result is great
    The truck feels like it actually BREATHES
    Nice and smooth
    Definitely more get up and go

I'm squawkin tires, and liftin the front end !!!! :eek:

OK OK maybe not quite that good...
    But there is an huge improvement

Plus I can just swap out the old foam and stuff and put in fresh whenever I want

So unless I have an issue with it, ima gonna keep it

13. rst277

rst277 Member

Did you oil the foam? I would. That is essentially what an Amsoil air filter is like - foam and oil. R

14. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

plannin on it
    i just wanted to try it STOCK 1st so I could see if it would even work

15. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

neat...where there's a will:).....at Crappy tire they usually have old K&N filters on the shelf hugely discounted (for 1988 Merkurs or some other older obscure vehicle) you could hack out the K&N material and make your own K&N...just a thought.....then you wouldn't need to reveal your ladies underhose infatuation to the world.....:D

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  16. downhere

downhere Member

Cool to use what is on hand. As far as the pantyhose fetish.....I'm guilty. At my cabinet shop I used to use them for straining lacquer but have been ribbed to many times. Now I buy cheesecloth. Has anyone tried outerwear pre filters on their trucks. I use them on my quads along with twin air filters. Seems to keep the filters clean...

17. blakkmoon

blakkmoon Member

I think I am safe as long as nobody catches me in the garage in 3 inch heels :)

18. downhere

downhere Member

That's probably a good call! :D