1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing dash 1992

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by rumleyfips, Jul 31, 2011.

1. rumleyfips

rumleyfips New Member

I need to get at the heater controlls of my truck, but I can't get the dash out of the way. I think I have all the fasteners out and I keep turning the 4 way fashers on but the dash keeps sticking. Maybe I need to take the steering wheel off.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

John

2. the pou

the pou Member

dash

I just worked on my a/c controls, to remoove the dash, i had to lower
    the stering colomn there is 4 bolts that hold it . when the colomn is lowerd,
    you can take the front plate off the dash and access the controls.

3. rumleyfips

rumleyfips New Member

remove dash

Thanks Pou. I had a feeling I was being stupid and now you have confirmed it.

I'll try again tomorrow if it's not raining.

John

4. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Got to lower the steering. You also will have to unplug the speed cable. It helps to have two people. Almost a must to have two people when reinstalling the dash. Getting the speed cable stabbed back in aint fun either. It will go back in.
    I had the same thing happened on a customers truck a week after he took it home. The heater wire got bent and we had to install a new used wire. Once they bend it keeps bending in the same place.
    We took the dash out two different times trying to bend the original wire back in place.
    Never worked. Ordered one from Bryce at South Texas Mini Trucks.

5. Daner

Daner Member

i have never lowered my steering wheel or disconnected my speedo when i worked on my control wires. i had to remove the outer casing around the steering column then when u get it part way off disconnect a/c button and light. then force it past the hazard flashers button and ur off! I found i can reach the end of the heater cable from below the dash

6. rumleyfips

rumleyfips New Member

Close but no cigar

Thanks guys. I go the dash off with your advice.

The white control cable for defrost heat vent etc was loose from its clip I put it back and everything was working. Then when struggling , in vain, to hook up the speedometer cable I pulled the clip off again. I may need a new clip.

There is a time to work on trucks and a time to drink beer. Cheers: I will try again tomorrow.

John

7. rumleyfips

rumleyfips New Member

Daner:
    To get at the clip a piece of the defroster plenum has to be removed. The problem is the clip that is at the top of the cable. I don't think this can be done without the dash completely out of the cab.

Thunderstorms again today, but I may get some work done.

John

olddeeres likes this.
  8. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

Speedo cable can be re-inserted from brake fluid reservoir access panel on the side, if your hand is small enough to fit through hole. I can change dash bulbs through this hole and I have fairly big hands.

9. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Who has small hands? Easier to go rent a midget.

10. rumleyfips

rumleyfips New Member

Curiouser and curiouser.

The dash has been on and off so many times it jumped out as soon as I opened the door today. This afternoon the speedo cable slipped right on - amazing how easy it is when you line it up right.

I still can't get the the defroster/heater/dash vent control to work. All the flaps are free and I got the cable anchored at the lever contol end. I am uncertain hoe to attach the cbale to the bellcrank.

The brown cable to the inside /outside air flap has a circle wound in the cable end that fits over a plastic shaft and works. The blue heat control cable has a circle wound on the end and goes over a metal shaft punched out of a bellcrank. It works.

The white cable for the air direction control has has 2 90 degree bends in the last quarter inch. the problem is that this kink should fit into a tiny hole in the bellcrank but there is no hole there. Instead there is a shaft punched in the metal part. It looks like this cable should have a circle wound in the end like the other two.

Has someone " improved" this to the point where I can't make it work without a correct part? Or am I missing something obvious?

John

11. Daner

Daner Member

The white sheathed cable should have 2 small 90 degree bends on the lever control end and a circular coil at the other. i will try to take some pics of mine and throw them up later. There should be a small hole for the end to fit into

12. rumleyfips

rumleyfips New Member

Daner:

The cable has 2 90 degere bends at the dashboard end but no circular bend at the heater box end.

John

13. rumleyfips

rumleyfips New Member

Some images.

14. rumleyfips

rumleyfips New Member

I bent a circle( hard wire, someone worked to straighten it, hard to believe it happened accidentally) in the heater end of the flapper cable this morning, tested it and it worked. So I put it all back together, even the speedo cable ( thanks Mr. Midget).

Then I decided to go to town for milk and beer and when I tried the heater the cable pulled out of the clip. I have a couple of enquiries out about buying a clip but it seems to me that this is not a part that will be easy to find.

I have some ideas. Epoxy will probably not work because the cable sheath is pretty hard and shiny like teflon. Maybe gluing two strips of sandpaer back to back and wrapping the cable might hold. Maybe the throttle cable from the parts department downstairs will fit. Or, I could carve a little groove in the plastic and try wiring it in place. I thought of heating wire to melt into the plastic but this is a last resort.

Anybody have any solutions?

John

15. Daner

Daner Member

Here are the promised pics:)

First is a pick of where your circle end should be. Shows clip that holds the sheath in place. The protrusion below where there is no cable is where the white one should be. Mine is currently broken so I have no cable. (still need to call Bryce) problem is haven't had to move it :D

Third is when vent lever is moved to the right to defrost. I used a piece of grass in place of my cable for visibility. I threaded it through the clip but not into the lever. Correct pic is in my next post. I had some troubles

Second is when the lever is at the left for summer and a/c.

For my clarification are u having trouble connecting the cable or anchoring the sheath?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  16. Daner

Daner Member

Sorry third pic is wrong. This is what it should be

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  17. rumleyfips

rumleyfips New Member

re: images

I turned a cirle in the cable as shown in picture #1. That problem should be fixed.

The problem is that the clip shown in picture#2 does not have enough tension to hold the cable sheath in place.

One dealer offered a complete heater dash control assembly for $95. I don't want to pay $95 for a 99 cent prt.

I woke up with a new idea. A cir-clip may work if I can find the right size. I

could cut a groove in the sheath . The stock clip is still OK to hold the cable vertically and a clip between the plastic mount and the metal clip would hold the cable in place longitudinally.

Thanks for your help:
    John

18. Daner

Daner Member

could you shim the sheath with a piece of duct tape before you put the clip in place?

19. rumleyfips

rumleyfips New Member

Good idea Daner. I have it back together using a cir-clip. I filed a groove in the cable sheath and a clip I had fit pretty well. Now to see if it lasts.

I dropped a screw dowm a vent tube , but I won't take the dash out again just for that. If I do I'll try some duct tape.

Thanks for all the help:
    John

20. rumleyfips

rumleyfips New Member

I have had the truck out a couple of times and so far the heater , vents and defroster are working fine.

Thanks for the help:

John