1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1st Gear Detection Switch?

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Inane2, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Hey guys,

Working on my diff lock mod. Got all my parts rounded up and started preparing for the install.

I realize Super Diff Lock only works in 1st and reverse. The connector for the dash switch was taped up behind the dash on another harness. It has 3 wires and one is hot with reverse. The other 2 go to the vacuum switch valves in the rear above the fuel tank that connect to the diff lock actuator. The 2 vacuum switch valves each have a 2 wire connector and I was able to ohm these out. 1 of the 2 wires at the VSV connectors goes back to the switch in the dash. BTW, these connectors were taped up on top of the fuel tank near the filler neck.

Once I installed the switch, the indicator light comes on in reverse. The reverse detection switch was easy to find as it also activates the BU lamp. It was on top of the tranny housing, accessed by the engine cover in the bed.

I'm having trouble with first gear. I have no indicator light on the switch when in first. Do any of you guys know if this should be another indicator threaded into the tranny housing or if first gear is determined some other way? I've got the switch installed in the dash and have the VSV's plugged up. I'm good to go in reverse, but not in first. The three wires at the dash switch are spoken for and 1 of the 2 wires at each of the 2 VSV's are spoken for.

I think we're having a failure to communicate!:p

Thanks for the help! (01' S210P)

Jamie

2. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

hmm did you poke around the shifter and transmission to look for wires out of place? could be a sensor in the transmission that is telling it that it is in first gear?

3. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Thanks Stuff!

Got to work on it just a little tonight. Removed the shifter console and the small console that covers the PCM. Didn't see anything that would be activated mechanically by placing the shifter in 1st gear. I did notice that is how the parking brake works though, just like a brake light switch. I need to work on my park brake also because for my cargo light to operate, the key has to be on and the parking brake must be on as well. But I'll save that for a later mod.............

Back to the 1st gear detection, the wire harness under the console and in the area of the PCM did have a few unused connectors. I'll have to do some more testing. I'll draw up a quick schematic of what I've found so far and post it.

Interesting note, the diff lock switch for the 99'-04' S210P's has 3 wires and is a rocker switch. The diff lock switch for the 05'-07' S210P's has 6 wires and is a push button switch, the whole switch moves in and out.

4. Stuff99

ya that sounds like some investigating. sounds like they updated the inside but kept the outside looking the same

5. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

I don't recall seeing anything like that on mine except for the additional wires taped to the harness near the transfer case like you said. I'd suggest bypassing the 1'st/rev gear safety all together.

6. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Thanks Greg. I may just do that. I figured if it was something simple like plugging a connector up or adding a fuse, I'd just go the OEM route. If I have to add another sensor or switch, I will probably override it and have the diff lock available "on demand", at slow speeds of course.

- Update -

Worked on the Hijet a little more tonight. Found this blue connector taped off at the tranny, right behind the starter.

[​IMG]

It is a 3 terminal connector, shaped like a "T", but only 2 terminals are present. One terminal is hot with the key. With the key on, I jumped the 2 terminals. This made the diff lock swith light up (when depressed) regardless on the shifter position. When I did this, the truck was in neutral, but I ran it through the gears and it made no difference, the indicator light stayed illuminated. I could be on the right trail. I don't know if this is supposed to plug up to a switch in the tranny, but it's funny that jumping it makes the diff lock light up.

BTW, here is a shot of the reverse indicator. It's tied in to the back-up lamp
    and the diff lock.

[​IMG]

And a close up........

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  7. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Hey Jamie, I'm going to be out of the house all day today so I can't look at my truck but I'll try to take a look tomorrow evening and see what I can see.

8. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Thanks Keith!

9. Acerguy

Here's what I was able to see. That blue plug on mine is connected. One side goes to the reverse switch and the other disappears into the wiring harness that goes to the rear, including the diff activator. I wish the underside of my truck was as clean as yours but mine got the "cover it with black crap and pretend it's undercoating" treatment (about the only complaint I have with it). :)

[​IMG]

10. Inane2

Inane2 Member

BINGO! Thanks Keith!!! I believe we found it. :D

If I understand correctly, your reverse indicator actually has 4 wires then, 2 going to the blue connector for 1st gear and the other 2 going to the white connector for reverse. If that is correct, we found an easy way for the Daihatsu boys to mod their diff lock to work in any gear. You could leave the white connector alone (so the B/U lamp works properly) and then just jump the 2 terminals from the blue (1st gear indicator) connector.

It wouldn't be a problem to get the correct gear indicator, but it may be expensive and honestly not worth it to me. I'll probably jump the two 1st gear wires together and be done with it. Who knows, it might be handy to be able to lock the rear in 2nd gear so it can lug a little bit.

11. Acerguy

Hmmm.....maybe. I think that white connector went somewhere else. The wire coming off the reverse indicator I think just goes to the blue connector and I think it only had two wires. I'll have to crawl back under there tomorrow to take a second look now. Sure would be easier if I didn't the bed on! :D I may have to take off the cover.

12. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Thanks Keith!

I thought perhaps 1st and Reverse used the same indicator. First gear probably has it's own indicator threaded in to the tranny elsewhere and the two wires from it go directly to the blue connector. I seen some possible areas that were threaded but had a dummy plug in them that may belong to first gear.

Thanks again Keith, we're on the right trail!

13. Acerguy

OK, here you go. White goes to the switch on the top, blue goes to a switch on the left SIDE of the tranny. This picture is taken through the cover in the bed and from the LEFT side of the truck (looking towards the right). Hope this helps!

[​IMG]

14. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Thanks Keith! We have solved this mystery. :cool:

That certainly helps. Looks like 1st and Reverse have their own indicators. I'd imagine they are the same part, only 1st gear has longer wires and a different color connector. The pic helps alot as there are many ports in that tranny housing. I really appreciate you taking the time to remove your access cover to take that pic.

Chalk one up for the Hijet guys, we know have a little more info on the trannsmission and the electronics.

Jamie

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  15. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Hmm........seems like Stuff asked me that earlier. Oh, wait, I didn't see that link at the bottom!:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2011
  16. Acerguy

Dirty rotten spammer! I got 'im!

17. Inane2

Inane2 Member

OK guys, got it all figured out now. Here is a shot from an S210P service manual :

[​IMG]

And here is a real life shot of the reverse indicator and where the ever elusive 1st gear indicator threads in :

[​IMG]

I'm just going to jump the 1st gear connector. As a result of that, the switch will have power going to it anytime the key is on, regardless of gear position. I wish I could find the male connector that plugs into it for a clean mod, but it's some strange 3 terminal deal shaped like a triangle.

Special thanks to Acerguy and David for all the help! I really appreciate it. :D

18. Acerguy

Yay! Now it all makes sense.

[voice of Gandalf] "You shall have your differential lock!"

19. Stuff99

Lmfao!! :D :D :D :D

20. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

This is kinda funny because I thought that was the upper fill plug for the tranny on my truck.

21. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Classic! :D Here's hoping for the Hobbit remake.

Greg, I'm right there with you on the fill plug. Guess I'll have to look elsewhere for that now!