1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coil spring question

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by ROBERCRAIG, Oct 24, 2011.

1. ROBERCRAIG

ROBERCRAIG New Member

Does anyone out there have a source where I can buy new coilover springs for my 1995 Hijet?

From what I've been reading it seems that I need 10" x 3" ID rated at 250#'s.

Please let me know if this isn't the case. Any advise that anyone can offer is greatly appreciated.

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Lots of info in this thread. http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?t=1777

I know its a lot to read but might help you on your decision. A lot of folks giving their individual input and experience. You need the AFCO coils. 2 5/8" ID (closest to stock size) this is the only manufacturer that supplies this size. You used to be able to buy direct but it appears that has changed. http://www.afcoracing.com/springs_2_58id.html part number 23250, Or you can go with the 2.5" ID springs sold by many manufacturers at a discounted rate. Remember... the larger the diameter the coil the better, I believe this is why AFCO makes a slightly larger spring radius.

3. ROBERCRAIG

ROBERCRAIG New Member

Thanks much for your reply. I will research the info you supplied and let you know how it works out.

4. Scooter

Scooter Member

5. ROBERCRAIG

ROBERCRAIG New Member

Thank you Scooter.

Two other questions. One of my struts has lost it's oil charge. Would the stiffer spring still help on that side? Also, do I need to use a spring compressor to remove the stock springs?

Thanks!

6. rst277

rst277 Member

A spring compressor will sure help and some auto parts stores will lend them to you but they are cheap enough at Princess Auto or equivalent. Check the QA1 website they list the springs you need for $43. My driver's side shock has no oil in it and the 250# spring is compensating nicely for that going on 20,000km now. Ralph

7. copeina

copeina Member

+1 Absolutely the truth on mine as well!

8. ROBERCRAIG

ROBERCRAIG New Member

Thank you Ralph. That is a big help!

9. ROBERCRAIG

ROBERCRAIG New Member

Wow the new coil springs work great! Now if I could just get the motor to run right. In cold weather the motor is not firing on one cylinder until the engine warms up. I think it's carburation since I've replaced all electrical possibilities. Anyn ideas out there?

10. copeina

copeina Member

Start with the SeaFoam treatment.

I thought my truck was running well until I did that... turned out I was underestimating how well it should have been running!

11. ROBERCRAIG

ROBERCRAIG New Member

Thought I tried that awhile back. last fillup I used hi octane gas and it ran well for awhile then back to same old problem. I'm thinking carb might be the problem. Blowing alot of carbon out the tailpipe.

12. L_C4

L_C4 New Member

@ Robercraig......What size coil spring did you end up using? I have a 1998 Daihatsu Deckvan and I need to put new coil springs on it. I'm looking at 10" with 250 # rating. Not sure on ID.

13. ROBERCRAIG

ROBERCRAIG New Member