1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what tach

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by b_eastep, Aug 4, 2008.

1. b_eastep

b_eastep Member

what tach do you guys run? i have a 98 carry and am having trouble finding a tach that will go down to 3 cyl. i did find an equious but i dont really wanna pay $128 for a tach.

2. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

in my search for a tach i found one from autometer that was programable for how many cylinders you have but it was very expensive, sun pro had one along the same lines with a similar price tag.

if you want to save money but the cheap one at the auto parts store, set it for 6 cylinders and just multiply what you see on the tach by 2. 2500rpm = 5000 rpm on motor.

too bad it's not the other way around, you could really freak people out when they see you tachin' 9000 going down the freeway :D

3. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

On the other hand, if you use the 6 configuration on a 3, I would be worried that some idiot that drives the truck doesn't know this and over-revs the engine thinking its OK. :eek:

-Greg

4. Mighty Milt

i'm the only idiot that drives my truck, i keep all the other knuckle heads in the passenger seat :eek:

on a funny note...

everyone knows in the army you have to fill out forms for everything. we used to send the new privates to supply to fill out a 1 Delta 10 Tango form to get equipment.... when they would write it down not to forget what they were going after it read like this 1D10T :D

just like sending them to the motor pool for turn signal fluid

i know, i know, i'm a dick... lol.. but it was hilarious when they fell for it :D

5. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

A friend has an Omori tachometer set for a 3 cylinder Suzuki Every wagon. I looked on their web site, but don't see one for 3 cylinder. Maybe they can order one, or buy it directly. I know they are expensive, but nice quality.

6. slimbad

slimbad Member

3 cyl Tachometer

All, I did a little surfing and came up with some options (why use the "wrong" tach and do math)?

Glow Shift brand: 3.75" dial - 0-10,000 rpm - w/shift light - adj to 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8 cyl engine - $55.00

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/reversedwhite7color334tachometerandshiftlight.aspx

-------------------------

J.C. Whitney has 3 options:

1. FAZE brand: 5" competition tach - 0-10,000 rpm - w/shift light - adj to 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, and 10 cyl engine - $150.00

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Tachometer-Gauges/GP_2008911_N_111+10201+600002124_10101.jcw

2. EQUUS brand: 3.75" tach - 0-8,000 rpm - w/shift light - adj 1-12 cyl engine - $70.00

3. EQUUS brand: 5" tach - 0-10,000 rpm - w/shift light - adj 1-12 cyl - $130.00

http://www.jcwhitney.com/EQUUS-TACH...ON/GP_2008897_N_111+10201+600002124_10101.jcw

--------
    Also SunPro CP2012 is adj to incl 3 cyl, however it has been discontinued. But i see them on E-bay for about $50-$60 (originally $130.00)

Hope this helps.......later, slim

P.S. i know there are 13 other threads dealing with tachs - i just posted on the most recent.

7. Mighty Milt

good job slim!! i finally gave up when i couldn't find anything at the local parts store or on line for less than a hundred bucks. i was getting ready to do a 6cyl tach on mine, i don't mind the mental exercise... lol.

8. b_eastep

b_eastep Member

thats awesome. i couldnt come up with anything less than $120. now ill be able to order one.
    i tried to search but my search option on this site dont work too good.

9. greg0187

Just picked up a SunPro CP2012 from eBay for $30 NIB. Seller had 3 more left if anyone else is interested. We'll see how it works out. Anyone have any idea where to connect to get the tach signal on a 99 Daihatsu? Milt, do you know?

-Greg

10. Mighty Milt

i was waiting for you to figure it out first, greg :D

that's actually one reason i've gone without a tach so far, honestly. there has to be a pickup somewhere on the ignition system. unfortunately with only having one good hand (darn thing just won't heal fast enough) i haven't had the ability to really get in there and see what's what. you might contact toyota, seing has how these are made by them. it might be some sort of universal thing to all toyotas?

11. greg0187

Crap.:eek: I was afraid you were going to say that. I guess I'll have to put my electronics engineering degree to work. Sometimes I just hate trying to figure s**t out.

-Greg

12. Mighty Milt

wow electronics engineering degree and you are asking a dumb welder how to hook up a tach?!?! shame shame!! :D

13. Mighty Milt

everything i've just read online for several diff tach manufacturers is that it must be connected to the "tach pick-up" on the ignition system. with that being said, i would trace the wires from the plugs back and see where they go. there has to be a brain box of some sort with a wire or terminal not being used... not a lot of help, i know, but maybe it's points you in the right direction

14. greg0187

I know, I know. It never hurts to ask though. At one time I was a dumb body mechanic, I just moved up to dumb engineer. ;) Everyone has their own forte.

-Greg

15. greg0187

Thats what I was thinking. Usually on the engine computer, Its located under the dash below the radio on ours. I'll look there first.

-Greg

16. Griz

Griz Member

17. Mighty Milt

18. greg0187

I checked it out. The website is a bit cluegy, let me know if you get any responses. Thanks

-Greg

19. b_eastep

b_eastep Member

well i ordered a sunpro cp2012 off ebay. ill let you guys know how it works out.

20. b_eastep

b_eastep Member

put the sunpro tach in yesterday. works great. just dont use the power wire to the fan as the power wire to the tach. makes it do goofy things.

21. leurs

leurs New Member

Will for this,I'll go try for what Sir Mighty Milt do to his tach.lol.........
    Anyway Sir Mighty Milt how's the tach when you set it to 6 cylinder?