1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanbar Off Roadability

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by bobosharkey, Dec 7, 2008.

1. bobosharkey

bobosharkey New Member

I'm in the planning stages of building a mini truck based off road vehicle. From what I've read the Sanbar is not as capable off road as the Suzuki or Dihatsu. I'd like to know why. It seems like the independent suspension and the rear engine would be a bonus. Thanks a lot!

2. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Welcome to the forum

I totally think the Sambar is just as good off road as the others.
    I think it was a myth created by someone/ somewhere that did not compare apples to apples.
    The only way to compare two different truck makes head to head is with identical tires and suspension setup.
    No one has posted they have done this to date.
    The straight axle trucks are easier to lift in that there are parts more ready available on the market but that
    hasn't stopped folks from lifting there Sambar's if that's in your plans.
    I am a Sambar owner and am lucky to have the rear Diff Lock [found more on the S/C's than the N/A's]
    and mine has not dissapointed me in any shape or form. The Sambar is by far the best balanced of the
    Kei trucks [51%F/49%R] and should go further in 2wd than the mid engined trucks before 4wd is needed.

3. swampfox

swampfox Member

Sticking a Sambar

I have the 1991 KS4A Sambar without differential lock. I have never been able to get it stuck. I have the 2" Crossroads lift and 15" street Tiger Paw tires. I don't; however, purposely go into deep mud, water, etc. From having Jeeps, I know that you're asking for maintenance problems if that's a habit.

4. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

My 2 cents.I have had about 4 or5 4x4 Daihatsu's with factory Diff. lock. They will climb better than those that dont( the ones that have the limited slip diff). So if you are going to build one for offroad I would find any make/model that has this function. I like the mid engine trucks better. for me they are easier to work on. I really dont have anything against the Samber, I do think it and the Honda make better street runners. Offroad trucks Dai. Suz./Maz. Mit.

5. swampfox

swampfox Member

The Sambar is definitely nice on road. With the little 4 cylinder engine in the very rear, it's hardly even heard.

6. bobosharkey

bobosharkey New Member

Well allrighty then! Where can I get the best price on a Sanbar with a 5 speed, diff lock and a high-low trans? Should be in good running order but the cab can be really rough. I live in northern Utah but will drive to p/u or have shipped. I really appreciate the input.

7. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Couple of minor points:

- It's Sambar not: Sanbar,Samber,or Sumber
    - It only comes with one tranny: a 5sp + E Low [really a six speed if you consider it has six forward gears] for 4wd
    no H/L transfer case available and just 5spd's for 2wd's
    - I suggest you make a post under the "Wanted" section outlining want you are looking for again with your location.

8. bobosharkey

bobosharkey New Member

Thanks for the reply. Sorry about the retarded spelling, I've seen it spelled so many different ways. It sounds like a Carry might have a lot lower gears. My project is going to have 29" tires so I need the lowest gears possible.

9. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

I don't think short of swapping in a "large" engine that any brand has the power to turn 29" tires and definitely not anything stock.
    Sorry to burst the bubble but there is no torque to turn that size tire even in low range.
    Many have had dreams like this before but it just doesn't work out.
    23~25" at the extreme outside chance.

10. Rick Melloh

Rick Melloh Member

Offroad Sambar

I have found our Sambar SC, six speed will go up just about anything on the property. It climbs grades equally as well or better than our AWD Kubota tractor, but it doesn't leave a mark on the ground, which is just the way I like it. I can almost leave it to idle itself up and over any hillock in the pasture in "extra low" gear. The antilock brakes are great for when the truck starts skating the grass on an extra steep decent. The Kubota and our electric golf cart quickly turn and slide sideways under heavy braking on a steep grade and scare the duty out of me. There is nothing flat about New Hampshire.

I have had to back the Sambar out of a rough trail because I could not clear a 10" high stump too near the front lower A-arm and didn't have room to move to one side or the other and get it centered, where there is a lot of clearance. Where's a chainsaw when you need it? The extra high cab doesn't work well in heavy forest trails. No surprise there. Remember to retract the radio antenna!

I am running with the 175-70R13 Hankook Winter i Pike tires that came with the truck purchase. We need them because of all the snow and ice in winter. The skinnier and taller, the better in snow. They are running and wearing fine in summer, probably due to the light weight of the truck. I don't normally run snows in summer. They go away too fast, but they are great for gravel roads, off-road and wet grass, so on they stay. I have spun them up to 75 mph on the freeway and they work well there too, very quiet.

When the Hankooks wear out, I think will look for something in a 185/60R14 on some new alloys. Won't that look nice?

Rick Melloh

11. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Rick,Nice write up. You are pretty much the only one that has wrote something about the Sambar off road. Glade you did, gives me a different position for the Sambar. I have stuck with the Suzuki/Daihatsu down here in the Texas Hill Country. They work well with the high/low trans. Easy access to engine. I do think the rear engine on the Samber/Honda is a + for on the road driving. Seem to have a little bit more top end. Ive only driven one Honda never a Sambar. You used the term "HILLOCK" in your write up. My wife was reading a book the other day and ask me what a hillock was, never heard the term. Had to look it up. Low a behold within a week I run across the term again. We have a ton of hillocks down here.
    Cheers.