1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daihatsu Midget II ???

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Unimogr, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Unimogr

Unimogr New Member

2. kiowacampers

kiowacampers Member

Those are so adorable but only single seats.....Just a little cramped.......I use to have an MG Midget and had alot of fun driving it in the mountains in California....

3. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

larryn2o has one

4. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

the guy i got mine from gets one with each load. we had one member fly in and drive home , 2500 miles!

if the truck has an auto trans then it comes with 2 seats ,heres a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IwlaaacrOk

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  5. woodhe1

woodhe1 Member

M. Milt

Do these fall under the "Not Road Legal" category?
    dan woodysminitrucks,com

6. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

If I'm not mistaken they fall in the same category as the kei trucks and must abide by local, state & federal laws for eligibility for street use

7. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

these are sold with a Mississippi title. mine has been tagged and insured for a year and a half. then again this is Mississippi! i've had this on the road for 30 years.
    [​IMG]

8. gregw98

gregw98 Member

Man, I love both of these Midget II's, even has rear flared finders. I notice that it has seat belts for both sides. Still have to wonder why we can't just buy these and drive them without government hassles. Better and safer than any motorcycle.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEkaRtCJIvA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJEit1FhZIs&feature=related

Larry, you still have my phone#, I am picking up a 72 Beetle next week for a highly modified (street legal) project. Give me a call if you get a chance.
    greg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  9. topherztoyz

topherztoyz Member

There was one on eBay this summer.. located in Yuma Az.. w/title.. Sold.. the saw it on eBay agai in two weeks in Califorina. I did email the 1st guy thru eBay.. is has the 660cc motor but 2 w/d only.
    Chris..

10. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

saw these today
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. dave.f

dave.f New Member

Please help Midget 11

Hi All, I'm new here but all the same thanks for letting me join. I am the owner of a midget 11 here in the UK. Just a quick question...does anyone know if the gear cables are the same as a hi-jet or are they unique to the midget 11? Please help as I have snapped a gear cable and cant use my midget!!

12. woodhe1

woodhe1 Member

parts

google diahatsu midget parts and that should give you a good start.

dan

13. dave.f

dave.f New Member

Parts

Hi woodhe1 and thanks for the response. I have tried googling it but very little info about what I need. is there anywhere I can find out if they gear cables are the same.

14. zardoz

zardoz Member

Dang it... I MUST have one of these midgets!!! one day perhaps... one day.... sooner rather than later ;)

z

ps: larryn2o ... do you have any idea how "green" I am at this moment? A Midget AND a buggy ( nice little buggy btw... I bet it's fun as hell )? Next thing you'll tell me you have a Volkswagon "Thing" also... then I might have to hate you LOL (jk).

15. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

the linkage is not the same , i had to transfer mine to the 5 speed when i put it in . but the cables may work.

16. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

new toys

my new toy 1994 vw , soon to be Volksrod.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

18. lpgautogas

lpgautogas New Member

I have NO bringing ,Thanks for your Informaion.

19. lpgautogas

lpgautogas New Member

OK Thank you, But I have no interest.

20. aspwatterson

aspwatterson New Member

Daihatsu Midget Mark 2

I live in Basingstoke in Hampshire UK and apparently there are only another 3 in the country so their rarity value should rocket up the price. I had to go to Daihatsu Japan via their dealer in Newport, Gwent for spare gear cables and bought two for £120.

Cheers
    Andy Watterson

Attached Files:

21. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

Midget 2

I love mine, where exactly did you get the cables? tom

22. aspwatterson

aspwatterson New Member

Yes

Absolutely in love with mine and everyone looks/laughs/points at it! I just went to a UK Daihatsu dealer and they contacted Daihatsu in Japan with a request by email I think.I could try and get the UK dealers contact details again but would imagine if you go to a USA Daihatsu agent?

Chrs
    Andy

23. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

Midget 2

They never imported them to U.S. so no official help here. Some mini truck guys and sponsors are helpful though!

24. aspwatterson

aspwatterson New Member

Dm mii

Is it true that the Japanese found they were ideal for driving around on super oil tankers delivering things and transporting people?

Andy

25. aspwatterson

aspwatterson New Member

DM MII pics

Pics...the third one shows a crash which has damaged the back valance and cannot replace it unfortunately back to original condition...

Andy

Attached Files:

26. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

How damaged is the midget? Drivable? How did it happen?

27. Lethbridge_man

Lethbridge_man New Member

I just picked mine up in Vancouver last weekend and drove it home; it was a 1,300 kilometre trip through the Rockies! Truck did just fine...

Here are a few pictures:

[​IMG]

My wife clearly showing which truck she prefers!

[​IMG]

Cheers!

Ross

28. oldoldoldman

oldoldoldman Member

How fast in MPH do you drive it and what wheel size and transmission do you have in it. I just put ac in mine and with 99 degree temps it is much better. tom

29. Lethbridge_man

Lethbridge_man New Member

I don't drive it very fast - although just for a laugh I took it up to 115km/hr once. In mph, that would be, what, about 70?

The tires that are on it right now are 145 95R10. And they are brand new, so I'm going to keep them on there for as long as I can. My spare is a Bridgestone.

I have the 4-speed transmission. It's geared kind of funny - first and second gears are really close and low, and third and fourth are a lot higher.

There is only just over 24,000 kilometres on the odometer, so the truck is practically new. I have a small exhaust leak that I'll get fixed here soon, and I noticed for some reason the rubber bushings on my rear shocks are worn. So I'll have to locate some of those as well.

I do indeed have air conditioning! And it works just fine. As does the heater.

Such a great truck - but man, you have to be careful with all the people staring at you! Kids love it...

Where are you sourcing your parts from?

Here is the link to the Yahoo! Japan auctions for this truck:

http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/...tab_ex=commerce&ei=UTF-8&xargs=0&pstart=1&b=1

And here is the link to the Yahoo! Japan shopping channel:

http://shopping.search.yahoo.co.jp/...oq=&ei=UTF-8&first=1&tab_ex=commerce&slider=0

Tell me more about your truck! And it seems as though there are going to be a lot of these coming in to Canada soon - I've seen a few for sale already. If there are more and more here, then parts will become available as well.

Take care;

Ross

30. Meesho

Meesho Member

Is it true all vehicles imported after March 2011 glow in the dark and make your balls tingle when you sit on the seat???