1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Truth and Nothing But the Truth

Discussion in 'EPA Regulations' started by Donald Shimoda, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm wondering if the members who know a lot about the importation and certification process for these Mini Trucks can either confirm or deny the following statements:

As it stands right now, some importers are getting a one (1) year extension and the ability to continue doing business as usual but only if they are in the process of getting EPA Certification.

True or False.

And if false, what would be a true statement?

Next statement:

EPA Certification is being required because importers are being treated as manufacturers by the EPA and this means that every different engine that is imported will be required to have EPA Certification once the one (1) year extension runs out.

True or False.

Lastly, what about this statement:

From a cost standpoint, it would make the most sense to have all of the shipments go through one importer/manufacturer so that the same engines/trucks don't need to be certified by everyone that wants to import them? (The only problem with this is deciding who the importer/manufacturer of choice will be and determining a fair way to share the costs?)

True or False.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  2. As I expected, views but no responses.

This is a great site but I'm thinking that we need another site as well to go along with MiniTruckTalk.com.

How about this?

MiniTruckAction _ com

Just for fun, I spoke with two people on the EPA Hotline today and then followed that up with a call to the BIG DOGS in DC. They actually answer their phones!

Changes are happening and it doesn't appear that people are sharing the nitty gritty. There are solutions and workarounds for all of this EPA and DOT stuff. These vehicles can be made street legal and driven from coast to coast.

I'm not going to share what I learned because I think I'll be kicked off of the site if I do. And, as I said, for certain information, this is an awesome site.

No need to respond to this thread because I got my questions answered.

3. kmoneil

kmoneil Administrator Staff Member

Why is it that we need another site?

4. DarinRay

DarinRay Member

Donald I've been following what you are writing with great interest but when I have NO good information to give I can't add anything. Do tell what you are finding out as i'm sure everyone else that has read your post are interested as well. You seem to be a great typer and I am not so it takes me a long time to type. :(

Darin

5. Darin,

Based on feedback I've received both publicly and privately, I can tell you that I'm close to being knocked off of the site so I am choosing to fade into the silicon chips. I've already had one of my Threads locked so I've obviously pushed too hard for answers in some areas that people are closely guarding.

If you really want to know what's going on, just give the EPA a call. I personally don't like to brown nose anymore than I have to, but they have to at least answer your questions. What they are doing is pretty simple really. It's just gotten cloaked in confusion and secrecy.

Suffice it to say that Mini Trucks will be hitting the shores of our fine Country for as long as they keep building them in Japan and folks here at home want to go greener. I do think that things will continue to slow down, however, if the prices don't reflect a true cost/benefit equation.

The serious importers know the score but they don't want to share the information because they are probably hoping that they will be able to do something like Bob at Gung Ho is suggesting where you pay him to import for you. Don't buy it, if you want to import, there are ways to do it for yourself, and it won't cost you $250,000 or anything approaching that number.

Now I'm gonna start pulling back before the bullets start to fly. I haven't installed the bullet proof glass in my Mini Truck yet so I'm a sitting duck in need of cover!

6. DarinRay

DarinRay Member

Come on Donald before the bullets fly what did the EPA tell you? :) Kindly save me the phone call. :) Darin

7. jtpc

jtpc Member

Donald,

I don't get why you act like your information is such that you are about to get kicked off of the site. Honestly, everyone here loves these little trucks and wants them to continue to make it to our side of the pacific. So if you have found some great information that importing is still feasible under the new epa rules, then I'm sure there's a lot of people who would very much be interested.
    The dealer I bought from is saying that no trucks are coming over now (least from them). So they obviously don't know your secret.
    And telling someone to call the epa and get the info isn't as easy as it sounds sometimes. It really depends on who you get connected with. Some are helpful on the phone, others are anything but help.

8. kepow

kepow Member

Donald I think Gung was on the grassy knoll

9. dwink

dwink Member

The suspense continues......................... Come on, don't hold out on us Donald. If you have information and are not sharing, that would put you on the same level as the people you are scolding. This is America and we are entitled to free speech. Leave the specific names out and you should be fine.

10. curiouscanuck

curiouscanuck New Member

Donald,

You can choose to help people with any knowledge you may have by communicating it in a clear way... or you can build it up into some great conspiracy that we are all blind to that you have managed to uncover.

Sure, all these regulations are done to benefit someone - in the case of mini trucks who knows... But in the world of import legislation I would imagine minitrucks are important to nobody else other than us and all the backyard importers that do it for the love of the trucks.

what I'm saying is that the import of minitrucks has little to do with minitrucks and more to do with safety and the needs of North American Auto manufactures/importers and foreign products.

Matt

11. This is all no big deal.

If you want to know the bottomline, just call the EPA Hotline at 734-214-4100. You can read the statements I wrote when starting this thread and just listen to what they say. If you want to go a step further, give the DC Men in Black a call for an even deeper understanding of what's going on.

And don't worry, these mini marvels are not going away anytime soon so don't overpay for one.

As for kepow, I think you are correct. In fact, I believe someone actually has some footage of Gung on the grassy knoll.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  12. Whoops, I made a mistake.

As it turns out there is more to the controversy and conspiracy. I just received a hot-off-of-the-presses news release including the attached video link. It proves conclusively that it was not only Gung but also kepow on the grassy knoll. Partners in the quest for confusion, perhaps?

Watch carefully and you'll see them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq2jHeYzbgk

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  13. jo924a

jo924a New Member

Fact Sheet from the EPA

I don't know anybody in DC that knows what their own rules are. Read the fact sheet and make up your own mind if it is still legal to bring in the Mini Trucks.

Attached Files:

14. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

don,

no one is going to kick you off the site as long as you can play nice and get along with others. i think your thread got locked for reasons other than you assume.

rather than be so dramatic about it, why don't you share your knowledge? bullets will not fly, no one knows where you are since you haven't filled out your profile info.

cheers
    milt

15. Donald Shimoda:

You should really change the name of post to “Nothing Concerning the Truth by Donald Shimoda.”

Fact: We are a small business.
    Fact: We were able to receive a valid certificate of conformity by
    completing all the EPA requirements. All you have to do is write the
    checks. Anyone, and I mean anyone can do the same as we did.
    There is no big phantom preventing anyone from doing the same thing
    we did. If you do not believe my cost estimates, just go
    forward yourself, maybe you will think of things we did not and your
    costs will be less.

Fact: To get a certificate, follow the requirements as they are posted at
    http://www.epa.gov/ this is exactly where we started.
    Fact: We would rather you know up front the cost then start to get the
    certificate as we did and find out we had really underestimated the
    total costs.
    Fact: The only conspiracy that exists is solely in your mind.
    Fact: You have done nothing to help anyone and you have wasted their
    time.
    Fact: There is no “work around” to the procedures, but keep looking it
    doesn’t hurt.
    Fact: Nobody knows who you are or where you are from.

Please refrain from personal attacks - Timetripper

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2009
  16. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Since we all can't play nice this thread is now closed.
    No conspiracy needed - just no manors at work plain and simple.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.