1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Joys of Getting Insurance

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by kahonwes, Feb 2, 2009.

1. kahonwes

kahonwes New Member

Today I called my insurance company, which is Allstate.. I tell them I got a new vehicle and want to insure it. Give the dude all the information. Then he asks for the Vin number, goes oh is it wrong, I say no its imported from Japan. He says hold on, I'm like ok. Come back on the phone asks if my car is RHD, I was like yepper. Then he tells me sorry we no longer insure RHD cars.

I was like huh, excuse me you have two other of my RHD cars insured and now you cannot insure this car. So I call like 5 other companies the same thing they tell me, nope no RHD cars.

So finally I call my last hope they tell me they dont insure them either. But he says call the Insurance Bureau of Canada. I call tell the lady my story and ask, what do I do if no one wants to register my car.

She tells me get the names of 5 companies, the agent and the phone number, get form X from Y's website and fax it in to us. That she will intervene and oblige my insurance company to give me Car insurance.

I was like woah... So I called Allstate back and they tell me the manager will call me back.

This was my day... and all I wanted was liability.... I'm so pissed...

2. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

That was a pretty harsh day you had :frustration:

If you haven't already been to this site - IVOAC.ca I strongly urge you to go check it out.
    They have members from all over Canada and really good info on the ins and outs of owning RHD's in Canada.

There is seriously so much mis-information being going out over the media these days.
    In BC the monopoly ICBC that every one has to get there basic insurance through tryed to do a number on RHD's being so unsafe.
    The guy that used to run it hated RHD's and commisioned someone to write up a bogus report claiming the accident rate for RHD's was 40% higher.
    IVOAC called the report out and has disproved the so called facts and figures as being totally out of whack.
    I'm sure that you might be able to find a RHD friendly Insurance Co. in Quebec that might be faster than going through the Insurance Bureau of Canada to force them to insure your truck.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

3. cabinmini

cabinmini Member

Whoa that Sucks!

What a frustrating :frustration: way to spend a day! I hate this kind of bureaucracy:eek:. I just got insurance for my new mini less than 2 weeks ago. My insurance broker said that my insurance company did have some "new" rules and I was half expecting the same run around that you got but it only amounted to a little extra paper work. They also limited my coverage and deductible which was not a problem because like you I was only looking for the minimum. The insurance company is "Dominion of Canada General Insurance". Not sure how it works in "la belle provence" but in Alberta most brokers deal with most of the insurance companies and you just go to your broker and they relay the info and get your insurance updated for you. Anyways I have unfortunately had to make some claims lately and these guys have been good so I would definitely recommend them.
    Good luck and keep at it! Jim

4. Litlears

Litlears New Member

Anyone have any luck with insurance companies in Ontario? seems mine won't (Dorsey group)...one they had no clue what I was even wanting to insure and when I finally did get a quote back...they said they couldn't becausethe trucks are listed as "Commercial" vehicles. I think I'm getting snowed. Any help would be appreciated!

5. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

i am from alberta and did not have any trouble getting in insurance from a insurance place just around the corner from my shop...and i never insured anything there before. its too bad these insurance places can't just be the same all across canada.
    hope you get your truck insured...these things are crazy fun on the street :D

wyatt

6. WetCoastDriver

WetCoastDriver New Member

BC insurance

Hi. I'm in BC with a '91 minicab and I had no problem with getting insurance from ICBC and extra coverage on my homeowners policy. I had a lot of trouble getting thru Aircare prior to insuring. They kept testing the vehicle and complaining it wasn't properly measurable - anyone else had issues with aircare? Advice when renew time comes? What weight/vehicle category are you guys registered in?

7. JPNMINI

JPNMINI New Member

I am in Vancouver and have a '90 Carry and failed air care on my first try.... all I did was replace the thermostat and made sure that the engine nice and hot when tested and it passed with flying colors.

You can only buy 3 more months of insurance if it fails air care and use this time to work on your truck so that it will pass.

8. confuzed

confuzed Member

My insurance company said they did not like to insure due to the amount of RHD units coming in being used for street racing. After a long period of laughing explaining the high power out put of a 660 cc engine the next problem was a serial( VIN) number not enough didgets they made up a vin number with their head office took about half an hour went back picked up slip.Only problem is every 6 months at renewal time i have to visit the office to get a hand written slip with the proper VIN on it. Not a big deal really stop in at lunch visit with a pretty young lady pick up my slip and smile down the road, can think of worse things to do on lunch break lol. Oh yes I'm in Alberta CO-OPERATORS

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  9. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Yeah, the insurance guys are as retarded as ICBC's report. They dont want to insure RHD, based on their data. Their data is lots of RHD accident. Why? Not because of RHD, but because the vast majority of RHD in Canada are young kids. The same kids that crash anything. Punish the DRIVER not the VEHICLE.

It dont matter if they are in a 300hp skyline or a chevy Cavalier, they will crash them all.

Boycott insurance companies that will not insure RHD. If your other business is there, pull it all and go somewhere else. They will eventually learn.

And street racing? WTF? Again, its the DRIVER. Sheesh. 16-25 year old males are the risk group, not RHD. My 17 year old nephew had 4 accidents in his first year of driving, none of which were in a RHD.

I want to go beat the bean counters with a large stick full of rusty nails some days.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  10. confuzed

confuzed Member

I know what you mean when i started driving my insurance for the year always cost more than the car did. I aked the ICBC geniuses why ....."you are paying for the accident you will have before your 25" yes i did have that accident totalled my car ........... her fault not mine.ICBC towed the car to their lot adjuster looked at it there because of the 4 bald tires I was held 25% at fault enough to raise my rates. the reciept for 4 tires dated one month earlier did not prove they were on the car. After all it was towed to a secure lot ha ha ha thieves hire thieves they stole my tires when confronted ICBC said it was secure impossible the girl that hit me at 11:30 PM was there at 8 AM the next day her stereo was ......... you guessed it gone. NO NO NO she was driving around with just a hole in the dash according to ICBC . I do not miss dealing with them.Ok I'm older now well over 25 PLPD insurrance on a Ford 1 ton. a Chev 1/2 ton extended cab long box 4X4 and my 91 Subaru $1200 a year get that from ICBC oh yes and no high penalty for driving to work all are cover for to and from work.

11. larryb

larryb New Member

insurance

hi. do any of you guys know were to get insurance in mn. thanks larry

12. rpm

rpm Member

I got insurace on my Carry thru State Farm without any hassle at all. I don't even have a title for it in Texas.

13. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

in saskatchewan my dad just took info to SGI and got it plated and insured there and drove it home... sometimes SGI sucks, other times its really good. no happy medium it seems.