1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coasting

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by cabinmini, Feb 12, 2009.

1. cabinmini

cabinmini Member

Hi everyone.

I did a little experiment with my mini and compared it's coasting ability against my Subaru car. Since this is the only mini that I have driven, I was wondering if you could comment on the following and let me know if this is normal or if i might have something to look at with the Carry?

In my Carry I get to the top of a long hill on the highway near my place doing 90km/hr. I placed it in neutral and coasted down the hill. It was doing 80kms at the bottom. It was in 2wd mode. Axle lock was off. It has synthetic differential and tranny oils. Stock tires at 32psig.

In my Subaru car I did the same thing and it is doing 110kms at the bottom of the hill.

Both vehicles had been driven and drive line components were up to operating temperatures. Of course A/C was off too.

What do you think:confused:? Thanks for your comments
    Jim

2. jtpc

jtpc Member

Sounds normal. Remember, the weight of the vehicle will affect the rate of acceleration/deceleration while coasting (versus drag and all other forces of physics).
    The Subaru is heavier and has more momentum to pick up speed downhill. It overcomes the opposing forces.
    Your Carry is much lighter.

3. Rural

Rural Member

Keep in mind that your Carry isn't exactly aerodynamic. Looking head-on at my Sambar and my Honda Civic, I'd say the two vehicles have about the same aerodynamic foot-print. If anything the Civic has the advantage as its leading edge is at a shallow angle compared to the Sambar.

I do know that my Sambar is significantly easier to push around in neutral than my Civic, even on a flat. If something similar weren't the case with your Carry and Subaru car, worry might be in order.

At first, I was surprised how quickly these trucks slow down when I let up on the gas, compared to "regular" vehicles. My theory is that it's the low-gearing and low mass. With the engine geared so low and generally revving so high, it has a lot of stopping power and the low mass doesn't take much power to slow.

4. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

I would think it is the not-so aero shape combined with the light weight that makes the difference as already posted
    but if still concerned then just run around in it until everything is warmed up then start jacking it up - one at a time or on a hoist
    and if the wheels all turn freely with little drag then all is ok IMO.

5. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

this is not normal for any car or truck to slow down going down a hill...unless you had a very high wind factor. you have some problem with your axles bearings or brakes :( timetripper is right check your wheels up on a hoist to see what is dragging. on my mitsu, if i put in neutral go down a hill it would be a run-a-way at the bottom. i know this because on the way home when i picked it up, i was on highway 2 (alberta) north bound and there is some big hills, and going down i had my foot right off and it would go as high as 120kph in gear. brakes dragging are a big deal they can start fires, and nobody whats that, plus if you have a bad bearing, it could seize and could damage the axle housing.
    i don't want to be all doom and gloom, i am just trying to help:)
    wyatt