1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheel Dilemma:

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Medway, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Medway

Medway New Member

My 92 Carry came with 10" wheels. Is this an odd ball? My first mileage check was 45mpg, that is Canadian gallon. Will I gain much better mileage going to bigger wheels and thus lower rpm.

2. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

if it is RHD it should have 12" wheels and they should be about 21" in diameter. if they are smaller you are getting a false reading on your speedometer and odometer giving you the impression of actually having attained higher mileage than normal. if you step it up to 12" wheels and tires you will see better top end and a more reasonable MPG figure.. probably closer to 30-35.

if you go too big on tires you will be robbed of torque and it will be a dog off the line and your top end may suffer due to trying to turn such large diameter tires.

3. cabinmini

cabinmini Member

Mileage

Hi Medway
    I've been checking out the mileage on my truck lately (after 3 separate fills) and the best I've gotten is 30 per Canadian gallon. That is mostly highway in 2wd mode at 90-100 kms/hr with 12" tires (it is also a 4 speed transmission). 45 sounds awesome to me!
    I never knew these things came with 10" wheels but then that's why I'm here:D; there's lots that I don't know about these trucks. Have you verified your speedometer with a gps? Is the tire diameter the same as a 145 80R12"?
    Jim

4. Medway

Medway New Member

Cabinmini: It came with new Bridgestones on it that were made in Indonesia. Size says 145SR10! Maybe being a DC51T, 2wd model, it is possible its the cheapest model, thus the small wheels. I will have to get the speedometer verified.

5. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

I have had 3 USA marketed Daihatsu's and have 2 Mits. USA marketed trucks in stock now, all are left hand drive. They come standard with 10" wheels when USA Gov. buys them. I have seen countless USA marketed trucks(Dai./MITS.) at Gov. auctions and all of them have had 10" wheels. Dont know why. Maybe because they are gear and elec. speed limited to 25 mph. I would assume some of the Asia marketed trucks wind up with 10"ers instead of 12's they simply slip though the cracks. The US marketed trucks speedo is geared to 10" wheels.

6. cabinmini

cabinmini Member

10" Tires

Hi Medway
    It looks like those 10" tires are 492mm diameter or 19.37" and the 145 80r12" tires are 21.13" diameter. Quite a difference between the two but if the speedo is set up for them then 45mpg should be accurate. Still worth doing a speedo check to make sure though.
    Let us know how you make out
    Jim

7. slimbad

slimbad Member

T&H,

I gotta call you out on this one.:) I'm guessing the lhd US market trucks you are speaking of are all 2wd? And you did mention Gov-type so prob are 2wd. If so, then yes they came with 10" wheels - actually in two different variations.

1. wheel size 3.50Bx10 with tire size 5.00-10-8PR
    2. wheel size 5.00Bx10 with tire size 20x8.0-10-4PR (turf tire)

However, the 4wd US market trucks came with 12" wheels - also in two variations

1. wheel size 3.50Bx12 with tire size 5.00-12-6PR
    2. wheel size 7.00-Jx12 with tire size 23x8.5-12-PR (turf tire)

There are other differences btwn the 2wd/4wd (other than the obvious drivetrain difference) the 2wd have smaller lug studs/nuts (and pattern size I think - will have to check on this) the 2wd use 10mm vs. 12mm on 4wd. The brakes are different btwn the mods also. 2WD have shoes rear/front. The 4WD have shoes in rear and disc in front. Leaf spring set-ups and struts are different also. Now about the speedo calibration - I don't know. Maybe the 2-3mph difference at the governed max of 25mph was acceptable to the powers that be. Here's a couple of pix of what came on my lhd/4wd Mits when I got it and what I put on it.......later, slim

Attached Files:

8. TRAX and HORNS

I just bought a 1990 Daihatsu, 4x4, dump, left hand drive with 10" wheels on it with 11000 miles. Stock tires(Bridgestone 5.00/10). Spare has never seen the ground and is same as tires on the ground. I concur with smaller lugs. This truck also has brake shoes all the way around. This is my 3 rd. USA marketed truck Ive scored from Dept. of Interior. The other 2 were Daihatsu's, jumbo cabs, 2x4, they had 10"ers.(truck treads)
    The 2 Mits. I have in inventory are 2x4,dump beds, 10" wheels(turf tires). They do have brake shoes all the way around. The only trucks I have seen with pads up front are Japanese marketed trucks.
    I'll post some pictures of the dump when I get back in town.
    Cheers,
    Terry

9. Medway

Medway New Member

Well, I guess I need to find some 12" wheels to fit my truck.

10. TRAX and HORNS

1990, Daihatsu,Left hand drive, USA marketed,4x4,dump bed,5.00/10 wheels,11500 miles. Being a dump model I would have guessed it had 12" wheels. The spare has never been on the ground. Tires are made by Bridgestone and are 6 ply with a truck treads.
    I have a extra set of 12" Daihatsu wheels that bolt holes are the same as the 10" wheels. I'll use the 12" wheels with a set of take off tires from a Mits. that are rated at 950lbs. per tire.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  11. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

Hi
    A Canadian gallon is bigger then a US gallon
    (Canadian about 4.5L & US about 4L), so yo can get more miles out of a Canadian gallon, but work with what you have...it is fun to work out:). i get (driving really good) 45mpg in town and 35mpg on the highway...you will use more gas on the highway at 100km's (60mph). i did do the numbers on a US gallon just for fun and the mileage was...40mpg in town and 30mpg on the highway:D
    this summer i am going to do an in town ripping around gas mileage test (the way i normally drive:D) to see the difference...stay tuned;)

wyatt

12. slimbad

slimbad Member

Terry, here's pix of my U.S. marketed LHD 4WD 94 Mits front disc brake. Looks like they come in 31 flavors (or configurations)....later, slim

Attached Files: