1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steering Problem

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by PMP, Apr 7, 2009.

1. PMP

PMP New Member

Hello,

I recently purchased a 1993 Suzuki Carry. I am hearing a lot of clunking in the front end on rough roads and I can feel it in the steering wheel (I can also hear/feel it when turning on smooth roads). There is also lots of play in the steering wheel.

I jacked the truck up and there is a lot of play (side to side movement) in the front wheels (there is no movement from top to bottom).

I had someone move the front wheels and turn the steering wheel while I looked under the truck. The problem seems to be with what the parts manual refers to as the “Arm Set” (see pics). As you can see in the photos, there is a space and lots of up and down movement. My question is can the bolt be tightened or is it likely that the bushing needs replaced?

If the bolt can be tightened, should it be tightened to a certain spec?

If the bushing needs replaced (parts manual lists the part # as 48750-85002) does anyone know where I can get one (I have checked the Web sites of several of the sponsors and have not seen this part listed)?

Thanks,

PMP

Attached Files:

2. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

3. slimbad

slimbad Member

Steering clunk

PMP.

First, Welcome to the forum. And 2nd, go with what Greg said. But, to answer your question, No you can't tighten the bolt (actually it's a nut) because there is no bushing in the gap to draw down and snug up the bell crank assy (you would run out of threads and it still wouldn't stop the side to side movement). I did notice you are using the bona-fide minitruck technical terminology for describing your problem (clunking).:D Actually, had you searched for "clunk" you would have found your answer and some more info on this.

http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?t=1852

later, slim

4. PMP

PMP New Member

Thanks for your response Greg. It helps to know the part name:)

5. PMP

PMP New Member

Hi Slim, thanks for the info and the link! I did search, and looked through 20 or 30 pages of posts, but didn't use the right search terms.

Do you know if the nut should be torqued to a certain spec when I replace the bushing?

Thanks,

PMP

6. slimbad

slimbad Member

PMP,

According to my manual, the nut should be torqued to 35-45nm (25-32 ft lbs)...........later, slim

7. PMP

PMP New Member

Hi Slim,

Thanks for answering my question. Hope I'm not pushing it, but I have one more. Which manual do you use? I have the factory service manual, but could not find this info in the manual.

Thanks again,

PMP

8. slimbad

slimbad Member

PMP,

No probs, the manual that I ref'd is for the U.S. version LHD Mitsubishi Mighty Mits. I have found that the majority of info is pretty interchangeable with most other trucks. Notwithstanding the obvious difference of 3G81 vs 3G83 engine, most specs (torques, fluid capacities, vehicle dimensions, etc) are similar. Dan has scanned and uploaded several chapters of this manual and you can find the link to them in the following thread:

http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?t=3108

later, slim

9. PMP

PMP New Member

Now for the dumb question

I got a new bell crank bushing. I took off the nut, but can't get the old one out. Is there an easy way to get the old bushing out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

10. Meesho

Meesho Member

Who stocks this bushing for Carry in Canada or USA?

11. PMP

PMP New Member

12. MiniBrutes

MiniBrutes Member

Most good dealers stock these as they are a common item to replace.

Sometimes they need to be pressed out/in and cant always be easily done by hand.

13. minitruck.ca

minitruck.ca Member

We Stock the Suzuki Carry Steering Idler bushing. Quite often you have to force the steering arm off the rubber, with a couple crow bars then heat the center steel bushing that is left with a torch. Don't get it too hot or you will ruin the shaft. The new bushing has to be pressed into the steering arm and grease the shaft well, before installing the arm back on.
    www.minitruck.ca