1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch Adjustment

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by steelyron, Apr 30, 2009.

1. steelyron

steelyron Member

On my 96 Carry, the clutch will slip sometimes when going against a hill in a gear too high. Is there an adjustment that I can make to resolve this?

If so, how could I describe this to my mechanic? He's good with most cars and trucks, but doing the best he can on mine.

Any help appreciated..:)

2. Half Life

Half Life Member

My repair manual says that pedal free play should not exceed 20mm and clutch engagement travel is 110mm and over.

The adjustment appears to be on the end of the cable connected to the clutch pedal arm (on transmission). There is a nut with a notched bushing attached. Turning that adjusts the tension of the clutch.

One other possibility may be to loosen the bolt on the clutch pedal arm (top) remove the arm slightly to change position on the spline and reattach. This may give you some more adjustment room.

Hopefully this makes some sense. If not let me know and I'll try to scan the drawings out of the book.
    ________
    Honda VTR1000F

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  3. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

I had a 93 Suz. same thing, clutch was slipping a little. Since it was a retail truck we pulled trans. and found the clutch wore down to the brads. Got new pressure plate, clutch plate and bearing. Total time to replace 2 1/2 hrs. My guy made his on line up tool, screw driver handle and electrical tape.

4. John Canfield

John Canfield Member

If the free play on the pedal is about right, then it's most likely you need to do a clutch job. I did a clutch job on mine and it took me probably a total of about four hours; if there is ever a second clutch job, I could probably do it in two or three hours.

Clutch parts are readily available from some, if not all of the site sponsors.