1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Az Street Legal News Flash Alert 24aug09!!! Street Legal As Of 17 July 2009

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by stevert, Jul 24, 2009.

1. stevert

stevert Member

IT IS DONE! :)eek:TEARS OF JOY:pop:)

Congrats on EVERYONE involved! IT was a very hard and long road.

Here it is people!

I quote:

ARIZONA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
    MOTOR VEHICLE DIVISION
    OFFICE MEMO
    T5474
    July 17, 2009

TO: MVD ORGS
    MVD T&R/DL THIRD PARTY PROVIDERS

Division Director

SUBJECT: IMPORTED MIMI-TRUCKS

Effective immediately, the Division shall title and, when applicable, register imported mini-trucks as an off-road recreational motor (off-highway) vehicle.

An imported mini-truck, which is designed for off-road use, has been defined by the Division as an undersized truck without federal label. The mini-truck may variously be known as a Japanese mini-truck, Chinese mini-truck, Kei truck, K-truck, or a low-speed truck. The mini-trucks are available with 2WD or 4WD, have an unladen weight that is less than 1800 lbs, generally only reach a top speed of 50 mph, and have an engine displacement of 550 cc or more.

Off-highway Use

As an off-highway vehicle, the mini truck is issued:
    • A Certificate of Title and
    • An Off-Road Recreational Vehicle plate

The Customer Service Representative (CSR) will use the “ATV” body style and the “R” registration category. The vehicle has no annual renewal and is also exempt from the emissions requirement.

On-highway Use

Initially, these vehicles do not meet the safety and equipment requirements of A.R.S. Title 28, Chapter 3, Article 16, as well as EPA, and other federal requirements needed for on-highway use. If the owner wants to register the vehicle for on-road use, he or she must submit a properly completed Highway Use Certificate, form #96-0371, certifying that the vehicle meets all applicable safety and equipment requirements for on-road use and will remain in compliance as long as the vehicle is registered.

IMPORTED MINI-TRUCKS
    Page 2 of 2

For primary or occasional on-road use, the mini truck is issued:
    • A certificate of Title
    • A registration, and
    • A qualified small license plate

The CSR will use the “ATV” body style and the “H” registration category. Since the vehicle’s engine displacement is greater than 90cc, the vehicle may be subject to an emissions requirement.

Since the mini-truck is titled with an “ATV” body style it cannot be changed at a future date due to the fact that the vehicle does not have a federal label. The “ATV” body style will remain for the life of the vehicle.

Note: These vehicles are eligible for the Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) decal. If the customer requests the OHV decal, he or she must submit a properly completed Off-Highway Vehicle Decal Application, form # 96-0572. If the customer is registering the vehicle for on-road use and requesting the OHV decal, the customer does not need to submit the Highway Use Certificate.

Reminder: A mini-truck currently titled and /or registered in another state or country and with no previous record of an Arizona title or registration will require a Level I Inspection.

This office memo rescinds and supersedes Office Memo T5382 Shandong Liangzi Power Co. Ltd. Mini-trucks with Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Beginning with L6F.

Attachments: Highway Use Certificate, Form #96-0371
    Off-Highway Vehicle Decal Application, Form #96-0572

I Just had mine inspected as a level 1
    They used the Japanese chassis seral number.
    Monday Aug 27 2009 I will need to get a bond, ins, etc so I will update you. What's funny is the guy I had a dam near fight with at the DMV and told me to give up one the whole notion was the same guy that just issued me a 3day temp permit......

Drain likes this.
  2. stevert

stevert Member

Tell Your State That Az Now Allows Mini Trucks! Good Luck In Your State!!! Use The Letter Above To Send Your Dot Or Senator Or State Representative Or Congress!

3. smoothstroke

smoothstroke Member

CONGRATS Steve, Thanks for all your work on this. Well be in next week trying to get a Off Highway Tag. Thanks Again Terry:)

4. stevert

stevert Member

Terry keeep me posted!

smoothstroke likes this.
  5. smoothstroke

smoothstroke Member

I will, One question. What documentation did they require? All I have is a bill of sale. Terry

6. o8k

o8k Member

And there was much rejoicing! "yay"

7. smoothstroke

smoothstroke Member

Took the truck down yesterday and had the level 1 inspection done. Didn't even bother with the bill of sale. Went to a third party MVD store. Just have to wait on the bonded title paper work to go through the process. Little spendy for the bonded title, but if it works out it's worth it.

8. DAVID-O

DAVID-O New Member

Congratulations!!

Congratulations Steve from your friends at www.minitruckdealer.com - Yamagin Corp. It took you a long time indeed but it was worth all the effort.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  9. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

congrats guys!!

10. arizonanative

arizonanative New Member

this is great news! I don't have a title, or a bill of sale, for mine. What did all of this cost, to get done ? I use my truck, mostly on the ranch, but it would be nice, to be able to drive it, on the county road, and not worry, about being legal.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  11. smoothstroke

smoothstroke Member

Hey Native, Your doing a bonded title anyway. so You don't even need a bill of sale. Just go in and get a level 1 inspection and tell them you never had a bill of sale. You just write out a statement saying how you aquired it. Takes less time for the title search for the bond that way anyway (no names to do a search on). I used a third party MVD company, they are allowed to do the level 1 inspections. I took a copy of the notice that stevert posted with me for a reference. Bonded title 300.00 it cost me for the third party company.

Good Luck, Terry

12. arizonanative

arizonanative New Member

Gosh thanks for the fast reply, Terry. very good info . Wish me luck!

13. smoothstroke

smoothstroke Member

If mine gets through the process and gets tagged I'm going out and findng me a EFI model. ;)

14. cheepBeer

cheepBeer Member

iTs TruE!

just been down to mvd and they where all aware of it and handed me the actual memo and the forms :cool:

15. cheepBeer

cheepBeer Member

Yessss! Taged and plated

Just got back from MVD all Taged and plated for the massive amount of $49.90 for 1 year! they gave me a highway tag and an OHV tag in either corner of the Licence plate and all the staff came out side to look at it as they had got the Memo and mine was the 1st one that had come in for inspection... and I found these in the glove box..ticket>?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Rob Massuco

Rob Massuco New Member

Steve,
    I bought my 96 carry in CA. and brought it to my place in Bullhead AZ to register.
    I have bill of sale,(Jap)Title,Bill of Laden, Import manufest and they still flat turned me down about a month ago.:frustration:
    Should I go to a third party or just go back to MVD in Bullhead with copy of your letter and forms?
    Thanks, Rob

17. cheepBeer

cheepBeer Member

I had a bill of sale and the import cert... But I went in the day before and asked to printout a ARIZONA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION MOTOR VEHICLE DIVISION OFFICE MEMO T5474 dated July 17, 2009 and presented that along with the paper work. That helped so much as they kept referring to it through out the registration ... and I kept saying "well there is no gray area now your Boss typed and signed this"

18. smoothstroke

smoothstroke Member

So Cheepbeer,

You didn't have to do a bonded title?

19. cheepBeer

cheepBeer Member

nope... why would u .. bill of sale and import cert is all u need

20. Rob Massuco

Rob Massuco New Member

cheepBeer,
    This is great news!!!! I will go back to get my plate. Any problems getting Insurance for it?

21. smoothstroke

smoothstroke Member

I had no import certificate. And the young lady (at the third party store) and I decided it would be alot quicker for a bonded title without any names to do a search on. Which I would have If I had produced the bill of sale.

22. cheepBeer

cheepBeer Member

Insurance

as cheap as chips 39 bucks for a year all within 1hr of calling her,with state farm if u need the number of the lady I used PM me

23. cheepBeer

cheepBeer Member

Because i didn't import it and I bought it off some one.
    I really don't think u needed to have put a bond on it if u had a bill of sale as they would have punched in the vin numbers and shown No record of it being in the system so there ended the name search. I have only ever used (at the third party store) once and never again, I knew more than they did and then they Charge u>?

24. smoothstroke

smoothstroke Member

Live and learn, Next time I will go through MVD. Bad taste in my mouth from the first trip to MVD a year or so back when I thought i was going to license it then.

25. smoothstroke

smoothstroke Member

Read It and weep (tears of joy)

Just got home with the plate. Sweet:D

Attached Files:

26. cheepBeer

cheepBeer Member

Yeah! Brill Grade"A"

27. Rob Massuco

Rob Massuco New Member

Went back to MVD today for the forth time with all proper paperwork and letter and still NO PLATES....this time they say need to see truck again and will be looking for DOT on all light lens.

28. o8k

o8k Member

I believe this needs to be added to this thread:

Summary: There are several things that you can now do in AZ and this Office Memo T5474 (see first post) makes these things quite easy now (this thread covers the initial requirements needed to aquire so i will NOT go into that again). But here is what you can do asuming you have the stuff you need:

1. Get an AZ Certificate of Title
    2. Get an AZ License Plate
    3. Get an annually renewable OHV sticker (aforementioned "R" endorsement)
    4. Get an annually renewable On-highway registration for the vehicle (aformentioned "H" endorsement)
    5. Get the nessisary insurance needed per AZ vehicle registration process.

In AZ you can have the first three and it will Still not be Street Legal. So be advised.

Item number 4. above requires emissions testing on all vehicles that are 5 years or older EDIT: (in certain counties, which i believe are only the counties Phoenix and Tuscon are in, Maracopa and xxxx?). And all Items 1-5 are required to be street legal for your little mini truck. and the term Street legal i believe does not mean all roads anywheres so be advised. (plus if ive left out any other garbage that AZ wants you to do to register your OHV). Ill say though, i found no other garbage that the MVD troubled me with. I leave this site as a point of reference (though there are many others):
    http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohvFAQ.shtml#3

If i would have known this information to this level prior, i would have given the poor guy (my truck) a tuneup b4 i went through all that, as i did not pass emissions right out of the box (e.g. i bought it, did nothing to it, took it to the emissions place).

All in all, the DMV here in the west valley PHX gave me no trouble what so ever and the process was a breeze (minus my emissions trouble).

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
    Acerguy likes this.
  29. smoothstroke

smoothstroke Member

All True UNLESS you live outside the valley. Then there is no emissions required. Congrats on getting you tag. I work in peoria and will keep an eye out for your truck.

30. erixun

erixun Member

utah's law

Here is a link from Utah's public safety website about street legal ATV's, on the last page it has a pic of a mini. In Utah they are recognized as a type II ATV, I got plates for mine, had to have like 8 pieces of paper, safety inspection, bill of laden from shipping, invoice from dealer (bill o' sale), import cert in Japanese as well as the english translation, application for a Utah title, VIN inspection, a picture of the vehicle etc.... and then they still had to talk to the supervisor, I had to show them the flyer from the link from the Utah public safety website before they believed me. The result? Got a Utah title and plates!!:D

Maybe this will help someone else somehow to convince their DMV to issue a title.

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/safetyinspections/docs/Street Legal ATV Requirements.pdf